Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,831 of 16,931
It looks like the PR401 probably wouldn't be for me. I thought flat cables were supposed to be good with tangling however so I find that being a con to be somewhat odd.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #1,832 of 16,931

Quote:
Nice review of the ECCIPR401. I'm wondering though, from a purely personal perspective, ignoring technical proficiency, how do you like it vs your much loved m2? And based upon the review, can I assume you finally have the fx700 in your possession?
wink.gif

I think about equally - that is to say, a lot. The treble emphasis and space of the PR401 are right up my alley. I think that the PR401 is more of a compliment to the M2, one being slightly recessed in the midrange and the other slightly forward. And yes, I have a loaner FX700 (courtesy of Inks so you can all thank him) this week.

Quote:
Thanks for getting a review of the ECCI PR401 up so quickly, ljokerl.. I really appreciate it (and I'm sure LendMeYourEars.com does too.. I just ordered them).. prodding you further.. how does the 401's detail, instrument separation, and balance/neutrality stack up to the 590?  While the 590 is quite even across the freq range (if not being ever so slightly mid-forward) it sounds like the ECCI is ever so slightly v shaped.. are the mids recessed enough to affect detail in vocals and instruments in that range?

The 590s & 401s actually sound like they share a lot of the same characteristics, but could also be somewhat complimentary to each other with the the they render mids..

Thanks again..

Both the iM-590 and PR401 have pretty high levels of detail but I think the PR401 has slightly better, or at least more pronounced, layering and a deeper stage. Balance-wise the iM-590 "wins", having more forward mids, but the PR401 is not affected negatively by its mildly v-shaped balance. 

Quote:
@joker,

This is what I don't like about this thread. I didn't have to know about ECCI PR401. Must resist. You really should not have mentioned FX700 in the comparison. Just saying!

While it may be like comparing apple to an orange, how would you compare Silver Bullets to ECCI PR401? SB is something I wanted to try for sometime now, just trying to decide between the two.

Ha, I wasn't trying to hook you - I swear! 

SB is more balanced and a little more refined than the PR401. PR401 has a bit more bass and a bit more lower treble than the SB but not so much that it sounds 'peaky' - it's still a pretty smooth earphone. I think that if the PR401 is an entry-level FX700, the SB is more like the Turbine Pro Gold or even IE7 (though not nearly as boring as the latter).

Quote:

ANYWAYS sorry, long story short I've been in the market, browsing head-fi, just doing my research on my next set... but I want them to be the perfect start to my "head-fi" career. I am looking for something that reminds me of the days testing out systems with my brother, feeling the bass in my chest but without the lows crossing over to the mids. I would like to have a great bass but detailed at the same time to where when I am designing or working out I could be in my own little world.

My favorite genres are: 
Techno (BT, Armin Van Buuren, Infected Mushroom, and Deadmau5 ... to name a few)
Rap (Lil Boosie, Outkast, Kesha)
Some Classical (Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, ect)

For under $100 (yeah I know, tall order)

Tell me if I'm wrong in my two top picks for this order:
Either:
Fischer Audio Eterna's ver1
-or-
Hippo VB

And additional IEM recommendations are welcomed! As I am, again, a newb!

I think that if bass is what you're after you picked the right two IEMs. What it comes down to is the type of bass you like - the conventional kind of the Eternas or the sub-bass heavy balance of the VBs. The VBs certainly let the bass affect the rest of the sound less but are also missing the mid-bass hump usually associated with bass-heavy audio gear.

Quote:
It looks like the PR401 probably wouldn't be for me. I thought flat cables were supposed to be good with tangling however so I find that being a con to be somewhat odd.

I was surprised as well but I haven't spent as much time untangling an earphone since I had the Senn CX300. Most manufacturers are certainly paying more attention to that nowadays either making thick cables that don't tangle (Meelec, ViSang/Brainwavz, Fischer) or slippery ones that untangle easily. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,834 of 16,931
Really? I almost bought the FX700 BECAUSE it has the short cord! I hate long cords when I have my ipod in my breast pocket! The poor isolation is the weakness of the FX700 imho...

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,835 of 16,931
So there is no actual "mid hump" in the VB's at all? If there is only sub-bass and no mid-bass hump, why would it be classified as a "Basshead" phone? 

Sorry I'm just a little confused and new to this.

Quote:

Quote:
Nice review of the ECCIPR401. I'm wondering though, from a purely personal perspective, ignoring technical proficiency, how do you like it vs your much loved m2? And based upon the review, can I assume you finally have the fx700 in your possession?
wink.gif

I think about equally - that is to say, a lot. The treble emphasis and space of the PR401 are right up my alley. I think that the PR401 is more of a compliment to the M2, one being slightly recessed in the midrange and the other slightly forward. And yes, I have a loaner FX700 (courtesy of Inks so you can all thank him) this week.

Quote:
Thanks for getting a review of the ECCI PR401 up so quickly, ljokerl.. I really appreciate it (and I'm sure LendMeYourEars.com does too.. I just ordered them).. prodding you further.. how does the 401's detail, instrument separation, and balance/neutrality stack up to the 590?  While the 590 is quite even across the freq range (if not being ever so slightly mid-forward) it sounds like the ECCI is ever so slightly v shaped.. are the mids recessed enough to affect detail in vocals and instruments in that range?

The 590s & 401s actually sound like they share a lot of the same characteristics, but could also be somewhat complimentary to each other with the the they render mids..

Thanks again..

Both the iM-590 and PR401 have pretty high levels of detail but I think the PR401 has slightly better, or at least more pronounced, layering and a deeper stage. Balance-wise the iM-590 "wins", having more forward mids, but the PR401 is not affected negatively by its mildly v-shaped balance. 

Quote:
@joker,

This is what I don't like about this thread. I didn't have to know about ECCI PR401. Must resist. You really should not have mentioned FX700 in the comparison. Just saying!

While it may be like comparing apple to an orange, how would you compare Silver Bullets to ECCI PR401? SB is something I wanted to try for sometime now, just trying to decide between the two.

Ha, I wasn't trying to hook you - I swear! 

SB is more balanced and a little more refined than the PR401. PR401 has a bit more bass and a bit more lower treble than the SB but not so much that it sounds 'peaky' - it's still a pretty smooth earphone. I think that if the PR401 is an entry-level FX700, the SB is more like the Turbine Pro Gold or even IE7 (though not nearly as boring as the latter).

Quote:

ANYWAYS sorry, long story short I've been in the market, browsing head-fi, just doing my research on my next set... but I want them to be the perfect start to my "head-fi" career. I am looking for something that reminds me of the days testing out systems with my brother, feeling the bass in my chest but without the lows crossing over to the mids. I would like to have a great bass but detailed at the same time to where when I am designing or working out I could be in my own little world.

My favorite genres are: 
Techno (BT, Armin Van Buuren, Infected Mushroom, and Deadmau5 ... to name a few)
Rap (Lil Boosie, Outkast, Kesha)
Some Classical (Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, ect)

For under $100 (yeah I know, tall order)

Tell me if I'm wrong in my two top picks for this order:
Either:
Fischer Audio Eterna's ver1
-or-
Hippo VB

And additional IEM recommendations are welcomed! As I am, again, a newb!

I think that if bass is what you're after you picked the right two IEMs. What it comes down to is the type of bass you like - the conventional kind of the Eternas or the sub-bass heavy balance of the VBs. The VBs certainly let the bass affect the rest of the sound less but are also missing the mid-bass hump usually associated with bass-heavy audio gear.

Quote:

I was surprised as well but I haven't spent as much time untangling an earphone since I had the Senn CX300. Most manufacturers are certainly paying more attention to that nowadays either making thick cables that don't tangle (Meelec, ViSang/Brainwavz, Fischer) or slippery ones that untangle easily. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,836 of 16,931
I don't understand this... my Visang R02 keep alternating between good and 'eh'. One time I'll use them and think "Did they always sound this good?", then the next time I use them I'll end up thinking "What happened to the sound quality I was getting with these yesterday?". Maybe they're very genre specific? I don't know what to think.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #1,837 of 16,931
Quote:
so joker is the fx700 gonna get a 10/10? imo its around 9.75/10 because of the short cord...

Quote:
Really? I almost bought the FX700 BECAUSE it has the short cord! I hate long cords when I have my ipod in my breast pocket! The poor isolation is the weakness of the FX700 imho...

Neither the short cord, which is actually pretty annoying because it's only missing ~10cm, nor the low isolation will affect the 'sound' score which, I imagine, is what everyone is concerned with.

Quote:
So there is no actual "mid hump" in the VB's at all? If there is only sub-bass and no mid-bass hump, why would it be classified as a "Basshead" phone? 

Sorry I'm just a little confused and new to this.

No, there's no real midbass hump in the VBs (at least not with the 2-dot plate) but it's by no means anemic. It's a basshead phone as some people really like the deep sub-bass rumble that it provides.

Quote:
I don't understand this... my Visang R02 keep alternating between good and 'eh'. One time I'll use them and think "Did they always sound this good?", then the next time I use them I'll end up thinking "What happened to the sound quality I was getting with these yesterday?". Maybe they're very genre specific? I don't know what to think.

Don't know what to tell you - inconsistent fit perhaps? I didn't notice any genre inconsistency with them or with my R01/R03.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,838 of 16,931

Its your brain. Those things have more of a tendency to be faulty than mechanical equipment..

Quote:

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #1,839 of 16,931

Quote:
Its your brain. Those things have more of a tendency to be faulty than mechanical equipment..

Quote:

couldnt agree more

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,840 of 16,931
That's a shame about the PR401 cable. I wish more earphones esp budget ones had either one of those braided cable (like a Westone) or the cable that Brainwavz/ViSang uses.

I guess if the flat cable is too small it doesn't work out like it should ;p

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,841 of 16,931
The short cord of the JVCs sure is annoying. A temporary solution was to use it with the extension cord wrapped up, but using the RE-Zero adapter also worked somewhat (cable down). The Shure 9inch adapter may be a good option although probably a bit long. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,843 of 16,931
Hey guys whats the cheapest IEM I can get that has double and triple flange tips that also fit Turbines?? OR Where I can buy double and triple flange tips for them?

I bought my turbines and love them but they only came with the stock tips, the Sony Hybrids work well( orange is perfect for me, absolutely sounds amazing and fits so much better then everything else I own.)

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,845 of 16,931
I've been following this thread for a year now, read and re-read every review and I'm ultimately confused on what to buy next........

I've been using Meelec M6's because $25 was the perfect price to get into IEM's and these really sound great for what they are, actually I really enjoy them. I want to move into the next level without blowing the bank, say $60-100 range. I know I can't have everything I want but I'm sure I can get somewhat nearer. On my way to work today I listened to some 80's, Led Zeppelin, Kanye and Star Wars soundtracks (Sansa Fuze). M6's are fun for the rock & rap but I want more detail/clarity, biggish soundstage and with a twinkle to the highs when "at" the symphony -  a grand live feel. I'd really like to go analytical without losing a lot of base. I  think the bass gives you that oomph you need to feel like you're listening to the symphony. I notice with the M6's when listening to the SW soundtracks if there's a build up to a big cymbal crash sometimes the sounds kinda mush together and falls flat, this drives me nuts. I dunno maybe - warmth, immersion, detail, separation would be a good description

As for musts - isolation and microphonics are it. I was considering Silver Bullets but wouldn't want anything less than the M6's in this area, I love tuning out people when I exercise or ride the subway.

Few random thoughts....
- I was hoping the Meelec A151's would fit the bill based on build quality but from what I'm reading the highs take a blow.
- If I moved up to say a DBA-02 for the sake of overall sound quality sacrificing price is the bass compared to the M6 going to disappear completely on me?
- BA are all wrong for me?

PS: no amping here. I like how small and compact the Fuze is now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back