Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 14, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #1,786 of 16,931
Added Meelec A151 and Nuforce NE-700X

Quote:
Wow thanks for the review of all the different IEMs joker! I was going to get the cx300s before but im going to get the MEElectronics Ai-M6 now ::)

Good choice - glad you found the reviews handy 

Quote:
Edit: originally thought this was just FOTM effect coupled with good looks and good holiday discount and commented to that effect. But then I read the latest posts on one of those threads and, well... I'm left wondering as well.  I haven't heard the teknines, but, well, I think the Xears bullets are amazingly clear earphones... for 30$, shipping included, when not on special.  For the price the teknines go for, I'd expect something close to the RE-0 with big bass and better build/style.

Well FOTM is one thing but seemingly impossible comparisons to top-tier earphones is what got to me. The Teknines aren't bad per se but next to the similarly-bassy NE-700X they sound vague and veiled. 

Quote:
When I sent my Coppers in I had to pay for shipping to them and the return shipping was covered by Monster.

Also what are the teknines? Are they something like a bass monster earphone designed to sell like what the Monster Beats are?

Monster Beats are aggressively bassy - hard-edged, very powerful, and lacking dynamic range. The Teknines are softer and more 'rumbly' in nature but IMO that's no excuse for sounding cloudy and imprecise.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #1,787 of 16,931
I just saw the review of that meelec iem and it sounds interesting. The housing makes it look like those Shure E/SCL series where the nozzle points towards the direction of which ear it is supposed to go in and is meant for over the ear but straight down is possible. It sounds like meelec has started out well with their BA offering.

At the price range of the meelec iem would you say a dynamic may be better if you want something with good extension from top down? I've been looking at possible budget earphones (as you are aware of) that isn't as bassy as the M2 and can't really seem to find one cheap enough (funny I could spend money on a custom without blinking twice and pinching pennies for budget iem). Although most dynamics at this range are probably more bassy but there are some that are not quite the bass monster.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,788 of 16,931
A151's review makes it seem like Meelec has definitely moved in the right direction. Though the straight plug do bother me a bit, I hope that Meelec would have a revision and produce them with L shaped plugs instead.

Now I'm a bit tempted to get the preorder deal and get $10 off, but I'm debating whether I should wait for the review for cc51 and SP51 first.

Jan 15, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,789 of 16,931

Quote:
I just saw the review of that meelec iem and it sounds interesting. The housing makes it look like those Shure E/SCL series where the nozzle points towards the direction of which ear it is supposed to go in and is meant for over the ear but straight down is possible. It sounds like meelec has started out well with their BA offering.

At the price range of the meelec iem would you say a dynamic may be better if you want something with good extension from top down? I've been looking at possible budget earphones (as you are aware of) that isn't as bassy as the M2 and can't really seem to find one cheap enough (funny I could spend money on a custom without blinking twice and pinching pennies for budget iem). Although most dynamics at this range are probably more bassy but there are some that are not quite the bass monster.

I think the photos are slightly misleading although I did the best I could. The general shape is a bit more like the RE262 and Brainwavz M3 except that the cable extends from the protrusion and not from the housing itself and the native configuration is over-the-ear.

It's definitely not as bassy as the M2 - bass quantity is only a bit bigger than the RE0 or MC5 and a bit below something like the Silver Bullet (which I think you would like too). And believe me - I totally understand the hunt for the best deal even though I have a good number of budget phones that I very much like. 

Quote:
A151's review makes it seem like Meelec has definitely moved in the right direction. Though the straight plug do bother me a bit, I hope that Meelec would have a revision and produce them with L shaped plugs instead.

Now I'm a bit tempted to get the preorder deal and get $10 off, but I'm debating whether I should wait for the review for cc51 and SP51 first.

I think the A151 comes from a different OEM than Meelec's dynamics, hence the different plug. It's actually pretty similar to the plug on the ViSang/Brainwavz phones which is well-enough relieved for my liking. I haven't had any problems with the half-dozen ViSang/Brainwavz models I've owned.

The SP51, from the little listening with it that I've done, is a bass beast - it's another one for the M11+/Eterna crowd. Not bad but not something I find myself reaching for. The CC51 is much more to my liking. It's bottom-biased but warm and smooth and very well-rounded. More in-line with the 'reasonably bassy' balance of something like the M2 or Thinksound TS02. One thing about the CC51 is that it's very fit-sensitive because the driver is right there at the end of the nozzle but aside from that I actually rank it slightly higher than the A151 even though the A151 is more in line with my preferred signature (albeit not bright enough for me).

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #1,790 of 16,931
I think the A151 comes from a different OEM than Meelec's dynamics, hence the different plug. It's actually pretty similar to the plug on the ViSang/Brainwavz phones which is well-enough relieved for my liking. I haven't had any problems with the half-dozen ViSang/Brainwavz models I've owned.

The SP51, from the little listening with it that I've done, is a bass beast - it's another one for the M11+/Eterna crowd. Not bad but not something I find myself reaching for. The CC51 is much more to my liking. It's bottom-biased but warm and smooth and very well-rounded. More in-line with the 'reasonably bassy' balance of something like the M2 or Thinksound TS02. One thing about the CC51 is that it's very fit-sensitive because the driver is right there at the end of the nozzle but aside from that I actually rank it slightly higher than the A151 even though the A151 is more in line with my preferred signature (albeit not bright enough for me).

The CC51's sound signature does sound right up my ally.

Few questions about CC51, how are the cables? The pictures of meelec's main site shows that it's a completely new cable unlike the braided A151 cable or the traditional seethrough cable from the last generation.

What is the angle for the plug?

Would the CC51 be very tip dependent? Since the driver is so close to the end of the nozzle, I would imagine changing the tips for the would affect the sonic signature more than the regular IEMs.

Jan 15, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #1,791 of 16,931
Quote:
I say get whatever is cheapest. I couldn't tell the difference between T400 and Tx400 sound-wise and I've never seen the S-Series.

Thanks for the advice. 5 pairs of Tx-400's are going for £21.00 and 5 pairs of T-400's are going for £17.60 so I'll plump for the T-400's.

Can't find the S-series tips in the UK or on eBay worldwide search, kinda sad because I was hoping to get a rather outlandish colour for laughs/talking point and of course, they should be cheaper.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #1,792 of 16,931
Omg nice updates.

You're planned list is getting quite long i see
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #1,793 of 16,931

Quote:
Few questions about CC51, how are the cables? The pictures of meelec's main site shows that it's a completely new cable unlike the braided A151 cable or the traditional seethrough cable from the last generation.

What is the angle for the plug?

Would the CC51 be very tip dependent? Since the driver is so close to the end of the nozzle, I would imagine changing the tips for the would affect the sonic signature more than the regular IEMs.

The cable is indeed different from the old Mee cable and the A151 cord. It's more of the standard-fare plastic-sheathed cable but it's nice and flexible and doesn't have any memory character (similar to Xcape cord, actually). I like it about as much as the old Meelec clear cords or maybe a little better. The plug is the same hockey-stick shaped 45-degree one as on the M11.

Yes, the CC51 is tip-dependent. It also has a large nozzle (as that's where the 6mm driver resides) so most tips will be a tough fit. Tips from the other micro-driver earphones (JVC FXC50/80, Hippo Shroom) will fit as will some of the larger bi-flanges but the vent is actually pretty near the nozzle so pulling bi-flanges over the front end of the earphones can obstruct airflow. The smallest stock tips actually work pretty well for me (mediums fit too but don't sound as good) so maybe aftermarket ones aren't even necessary.

Quote:
Omg nice updates.

You're planned list is getting quite long i see
beerchug.gif

Yep, no end in sight 
redface.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #1,795 of 16,931
There is a presale with the a151. $10 cheaper. Does this change your ranking?
Also with teh price change in the meelec's lineup...will that change the values? The M6 has pricedropped by 40%. That should blow its budget competition away.

Hmm still deciding what to buy. Around 50$ i have decided on the M2, but if i decide to go a little higher. Still not sure  M3, VBs or maybe the CC51 or 700x.
Which would u consider better value buy right now? I only use MP3s and listen from ipod and Smartphones.

Jan 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #1,796 of 16,931
Just registered to thank you for this wonderful resource joker, its been hugely helpful.

Also noticed a slight error, on the review for the Sunrise SW-Xcape you gave 4/5 for isolation but on the comparison table at the end you have it at 3.5/5.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #1,797 of 16,931
This list is bad...in a way that it prevents me from buying any new IEMs because I really want to see how the new IEMs fare, as there's been a lot of new releases lately.  I guess its good for my wallet :)

I have to say, those upcoming reviews: every one of those interest me.  Looks like 2011 is going to be a good review year :)

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #1,798 of 16,931

Quote:
There is a presale with the a151. $10 cheaper. Does this change your ranking?
Also with teh price change in the meelec's lineup...will that change the values? The M6 has pricedropped by 40%. That should blow its budget competition away.

Hmm still deciding what to buy. Around 50$ i have decided on the M2, but if i decide to go a little higher. Still not sure  M3, VBs or maybe the CC51 or 700x.
Which would u consider better value buy right now? I only use MP3s and listen from ipod and Smartphones.

$10 isn't much of a difference. I'll need to update the values for the other MEE models though.

There really is no 'best value' - just try to buy one you think you will like. The M2/M3/Silver Bullet are 'safe choices' in my book as they really don't do a whole lot wrong. The A151 is a little more analytical and darker in tone - really not for everyone but excellent for what it is. NE-700X is a bass beast with a deep seal and quite colored. I like it less than the others personally. CC51 I'm not sure how I feel about yet value-wise but it certainly sounds good.

Quote:
Just registered to thank you for this wonderful resource joker, its been hugely helpful.

Also noticed a slight error, on the review for the Sunrise SW-Xcape you gave 4/5 for isolation but on the comparison table at the end you have it at 3.5/5.

Thanks, and thanks for the correction. I'll have the table fixed at the next update.

Quote:
This list is bad...in a way that it prevents me from buying any new IEMs because I really want to see how the new IEMs fare, as there's been a lot of new releases lately.  I guess its good for my wallet :)

I have to say, those upcoming reviews: every one of those interest me.  Looks like 2011 is going to be a good review year :)

I'd say that's a good thing :D. To be completely truthful most of the reviews listed as 'in progress' are actually finished but are either waiting for me to sell off the earphones in question or for something else to happen (e.g. for my ACS Ety tips to arrive)

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,799 of 16,931
There's so many upcoming Meelec models coming in that I can't keep up with the names anymore. I gotta say that most if not all look well built while staying practical and user-friendly. Those cables on the a151s looked amazingly good, not CK10 cable good, but pretty much up there.

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,800 of 16,931
How do you think the RE0 would compare to a AKG K701?
IYO, what would be a nice step up from CX300's? is S4i better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back