Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #1,771 of 16,931
For what you are trying to do the Equation Audio EP3070 would be my first choice. It's a tiny collapsible circumaural with impressive passive isolation and a detachable cable. I actually used them as noise blockers around the house back when I had them, though having IEMs underneath was never particularly comfortable for me.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #1,772 of 16,931
hi jorker

after spending some time with my brainwavz m2, ive decided to upgrade to something with a lot more bass

im thinking to get something good enough, so i will be done spending more money.

i really want turbine gold for the sound and life time warranty. onecall quote me $180.  from reading reviews here, turbines have a flex driver issue, i experienced the same thing with my Jamz, is it really comment? also so people say the MTPGs are too heavy not comfortable to wear, and keep failing off the ears,  how are they compare to jamz? i think the jamz i had are heavy but i could handle the weight and get a good seal, but sometimes the jamz would fail off. i really dont wanna be dispointed for what they cost

do you have any other suggestions instead of turbine golds?

thanks in advance

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,773 of 16,931
Hey joker,

Thanks for the impressive reviews. I have spent lots of time reading them all again and again. I will buy myself a pair of iem and i currently have limited my options into 4. So i would really appreciate some help to make me go for 1 of those 4.

As i said i have read all the reviews about those 4 but my question is which one of those would be the better choice considering the ONLY music genres i will be listening to are going to be (psychedelic) trance and chillout/ambient ?

The 4 headphones are Sunrise sw xcape, Head direct RE - 0, Head direct RE-Zero and Etymotic MC5

I would really appreciate a reccomendation from you and of course any other member. Thanks...

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,774 of 16,931

Quote:
For what you are trying to do the Equation Audio EP3070 would be my first choice. It's a tiny collapsible circumaural with impressive passive isolation and a detachable cable. I actually used them as noise blockers around the house back when I had them, though having IEMs underneath was never particularly comfortable for me.

Well there you go James 
biggrin.gif

According to this website their cheap as can be - http://www.frontendaudio.com/Equation-Audio-EP-3070-Headphones-p/9999-02538.htm

J, says their isolating but I wonder.....that collapsible design does inspire to much confidence I wonder how tight they would be with IEMS stuck in them 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,775 of 16,931
Quote:
Well there you go James 
biggrin.gif

Yeah and thanks to Joker for the tip - still, I'm gonna try the Audio Technicas first, since they're even smaller and I wanna know whether it's possible with an on-ear phone. But the EP3070 look interesting and aren't expensive either. Maybe even worth swapping their drivers for a foam inlay to make them more comfy with the IEMs.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #1,776 of 16,931
Just wanted to post a little warning for anyone subscribed - been seeing a lot of posts praising the Teknines and comparing them to things like the TF10 and Turbine Pros. I've had them for three days and to my ears there is no comparison. In fact, I think at this point (~48 hrs of burn-in) they yield in clarity to the Xears XB120Pro and H2O Audio Flex (which are the cheapest earphones I've got). I can see why people like them but comparing them to the MTPG in anything but smoothness and impact is blasphemous.

Also, not to be paranoid, but there are a lot of new-ish accounts with <50 posts doing nothing but praising the Teknines. Hearing these the way I do, I think that smells a little. I would get them exchanged but I know of at least one head-fi veteran who hears these exactly the way I do so I have a feeling they aren't defective.

Quote:

after spending some time with my brainwavz m2, ive decided to upgrade to something with a lot more bass

im thinking to get something good enough, so i will be done spending more money.

i really want turbine gold for the sound and life time warranty. onecall quote me $180.  from reading reviews here, turbines have a flex driver issue, i experienced the same thing with my Jamz, is it really comment? also so people say the MTPGs are too heavy not comfortable to wear, and keep failing off the ears,  how are they compare to jamz? i think the jamz i had are heavy but i could handle the weight and get a good seal, but sometimes the jamz would fail off. i really dont wanna be dispointed for what they cost

do you have any other suggestions instead of turbine golds?

My Golds didn't have a whole of driver flex. Coppers did, but not the Golds or Monster MDs. I find all of the Turbines pretty comfortable to wear. If you want a lot more bass than the M2 you may be satisfied with the Eterna, which is much cheaper than the Golds and has a little more bass.

Quote:
As i said i have read all the reviews about those 4 but my question is which one of those would be the better choice considering the ONLY music genres i will be listening to are going to be (psychedelic) trance and chillout/ambient ?

The 4 headphones are Sunrise sw xcape, Head direct RE - 0, Head direct RE-Zero and Etymotic MC5

From that list I would go for the Xcape for your genres, assuming that analytical sound is fine with you. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,777 of 16,931
Hello |Joker|

Thanks for your fantastic thread. Using your reviews, I decided to go with a pair of Brainwavz ProAlpha's and they are en route as we speak.

Tempted to buy some Comply tips (mainly for the comfort aspect, partially because I struggle getting a proper seal on my right ear with S/M/L single flange silicon/PVC tips). Not sure whether to go for S-Series, T-400's or Tx-400's, though reading Head-Fi's review of the Comply tips alongside the Sound review of the ProAlpha's in this thread, the T-400's 'sound' like the right choice (bad pun intended).

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,778 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:

From that list I would go for the Xcape for your genres, assuming that analytical sound is fine with you. 

Analytical sound is perfectly fine for me. Thanks again. Great help...

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,779 of 16,931
to be honest, having headphone cables over my ears feels so weird. if i do buy the eternas , i dont think i will like wearing them, i will end up buying something else no matter how much i will love the sound of it.  i know you are trying to help me spend least money to get the sound that mostly i would like.

at $200 or less ,  do you think of any bass monsters can compare to turbine gold in terms of sound, warranty, comfort and look?

Quote:
My Golds didn't have a whole of driver flex. Coppers did, but not the Golds or Monster MDs. I find all of the Turbines pretty comfortable to wear. If you want a lot more bass than the M2 you may be satisfied with the Eterna, which is much cheaper than the Golds and has a little more bass.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,780 of 16,931

Quote:
Hello |Joker|

Thanks for your fantastic thread. Using your reviews, I decided to go with a pair of Brainwavz ProAlpha's and they are en route as we speak.

Tempted to buy some Comply tips (mainly for the comfort aspect, partially because I struggle getting a proper seal on my right ear with S/M/L single flange silicon/PVC tips). Not sure whether to go for S-Series, T-400's or Tx-400's, though reading Head-Fi's review of the Comply tips alongside the Sound review of the ProAlpha's in this thread, the T-400's 'sound' like the right choice (bad pun intended).

I say get whatever is cheapest. I couldn't tell the difference between T400 and Tx400 sound-wise and I've never seen the S-Series.

Quote:
to be honest, having headphone cables over my ears feels so weird. if i do buy the eternas , i dont think i will like wearing them, i will end up buying something else no matter how much i will love the sound of it.  i know you are trying to help me spend least money to get the sound that mostly i would like.

at $200 or less ,  do you think of any bass monsters can compare to turbine gold in terms of sound, warranty, comfort and look?

How do you compete with lifetime warranty + 1x no-questions-asked replacement? No, I don't think there are any competitors.

Jan 14, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #1,781 of 16,931
Well I think Monster has that warranty because it is needed. I've seen many reports of their housing falling apart including a pair of Coppers I had that I owned for a week and was treated well. I personally would like to receive a 2 year warranty and better build quality than a lifetime warranty which no doubt drives the price up. The warranty is unmatched however and I doubt too many companies can afford a warranty like that that would cut into their sales and profit.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #1,782 of 16,931
what if just sound, comfort and look?  is $180 a good price for a pair of IEMs bass heavy, well refined like MTPG?

Quote:
How do you compete with lifetime warranty + 1x no-questions-asked replacement? No, I don't think there are any competitors.

Quote:
Well I think Monster has that warranty because it is needed. I've seen many reports of their housing falling apart including a pair of Coppers I had that I owned for a week and was treated well. I personally would like to receive a 2 year warranty and better build quality than a lifetime warranty which no doubt drives the price up. The warranty is unmatched however and I doubt too many companies can afford a warranty like that that would cut into their sales and profit.

i couldnt agree more, i rather never use the warranty. but for 30 something, i dont understand why portapros have lifetime warranty.

BTW  did monster cover shipping cost for your coppers?

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #1,784 of 16,931

Quote:
Just wanted to post a little warning for anyone subscribed - been seeing a lot of posts praising the Teknines and comparing them to things like the TF10 and Turbine Pros. I've had them for three days and to my ears there is no comparison. In fact, I think at this point (~48 hrs of burn-in) they yield in clarity to the Xears XB120Pro and H2O Audio Flex (which are the cheapest earphones I've got). I can see why people like them but comparing them to the MTPG in anything but smoothness and impact is blasphemous.

<tongue firmly in cheek>
I knew the XB120Pro were better than something highly praised, if not the TD100! 
biggrin.gif

</tongue firmly in cheek>

Edit: originally thought this was just FOTM effect coupled with good looks and good holiday discount and commented to that effect. But then I read the latest posts on one of those threads and, well... I'm left wondering as well.  I haven't heard the teknines, but, well, I think the Xears bullets are amazingly clear earphones... for 30$, shipping included, when not on special.  For the price the teknines go for, I'd expect something close to the RE-0 with big bass and better build/style.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,785 of 16,931
When I sent my Coppers in I had to pay for shipping to them and the return shipping was covered by Monster.

Also what are the teknines? Are they something like a bass monster earphone designed to sell like what the Monster Beats are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back