Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 6, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #15,151 of 16,931
My Vsonic GR07BE start dying...I start to hear some crackling - when I move or touch the cable, the crackling becomes more obvious.

I'm interested to know if there are IEMs with similar sound signature out there or should I try to recable them (and where). From all the IEMs I heard I love the GR07BE, their details and soundstage is so specail, while the bass is good and layered. Honestly I would prefer to keep them if a re-cable is possible, but if there are any other IEMs out there with similar sound, I'd be interested.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #15,152 of 16,931
  My Vsonic GR07BE start dying...I start to hear some crackling - when I move or touch the cable, the crackling becomes more obvious.

I'm interested to know if there are IEMs with similar sound signature out there or should I try to recable them (and where). From all the IEMs I heard I love the GR07BE, their details and soundstage is so specail, while the bass is good and layered. Honestly I would prefer to keep them if a re-cable is possible, but if there are any other IEMs out there with similar sound, I'd be interested.

Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping someone will second my opinions on these.....the SADES SA608.

They make gaming headphones, but they came out with there first original named IEM's. They have a very natural deep bass/sub-bass and life like mids and very vivid details.

Take a look.....
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.yw8dQ9&id=42284755569&ns=1&abbucket=17#detail

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #15,154 of 16,931

Thanks in advance!

What's your budget for them? The ATH CKR9 is the only thing I've heard under $200 with better bass response. The mids are more forward than the GR07BE, but the texture, detail, and response of the bass is even better. Very lean and crisp. You'll also get more depth and height than the GR07 offers, as well as better imaging and separation. I've seen some people who have recabled them but haven't really read any impressions of them. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #15,155 of 16,931

Thanks in advance!

If you can find a cost-effective way to recable them in your area, by all means I think you should do so. I haven't tried the CKR9 so I can't say there's anything in the price range that can do what the GR07 BE does equally well (or better). 

Very cool - thanks for sharing! What I'm more surprised by is how similar the look is to the Munitio Bullet earphones. I guess I never thought about what an actual casing would look like if turned into an IEM, but it looks like Munitio almost nailed it. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #15,157 of 16,931
Would you say these are better than the MH1C then? There's so much loyalty towards one or the other I can't tell which is actually better. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, they sound better than MH1C to my ears, more accurate and balanced if slightly a bit mid-forward. MH1C has too much bass than Lg QB2. The cable is also much better on QB2. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #15,158 of 16,931
Would you say these are better than the MH1C then? There's so much loyalty towards one or the other I can't tell which is actually better. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I have both (QB2 and MH1C). In the general sense, the QB2 is slightly V shaped with treble emphasis and the MH1C is a slight V shape with more bass emphasis.

Head to head in each category:

Comfort and build: Both have very good build quality (MH1C is slighlty better). The narrow flat Y cable on the QB2 is excellent, average microphonics. The flat J cable on the MH1C will make you want to hang yourself with it. The QB2 has a flatter and wider houding with the nozzle at an angle, MH1C has a slim longer barrel. Fit is subjective. Accessories are equally sparse.

Bass:
MH1C has oodles more sub-bass. Midbass quantity is also at a similar level. Fo the quantity it is chucking out the quality is quite good (but not to my taste). Vent mods will tighten the bass and make it feel more controlled.
QB2 has a midbass hump which is still lesser than the MH1C and sometimes(depending on the genre) does not fit well with the otherwise superb response. Sub-bass quantity is much lower than the MH1C but extends and shows up when called upon. Whether the sub bass quantity is sufficient or not will depend on your preference. Midbass quantity is definitely sufficient for most genres, though it lacks a little control.

Mids
Notes carry nice weight and warmth on the MH1C and is more lush. Both are fairly accurate. Mid-bass spills a bit into the lower mids. The mids are very good but cannot hope to shine/be-prominent because of that bass. The QB2 is also slightly recessed in the mids(mid-bass slightly interferes), more so because of the prominent treble.

Treble: 
MH1C is smooth, forgiving and natural. Is edgy at times but not bothersome. 
QB2 is a clarity oriented phone and sports prominent treble. But, it "never" gets sibilant especially when you expect it to. Even with that 8k peak.

TL;DR: Both are emphasized on opposite ends of the spectrum. MH1C is bass heavy in comparison. QB2 is relatively more neutral with prominent treble but the midbass lift does inject some punch and warmth. The cable is beyond terrible on the MH1C. Treble is very good on both albeit for different reasons.
If neutral and analytical is your aim, the QB2 comes closer (after a midbass EQ cut)
If warm and natural is your aim, the MH1C will come closer (after vent mods)

Personal biased opinion: I love both but the QB2 slightly edges out the MH1C for me.
The cable and heavy bass (even after the mod) were the cons with the MH1C. The occasional midbass eccentricity and slightly recessed mids are cons.on the QB2.

THis is of course a broad description. If you want to know anything specific, let me know.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #15,159 of 16,931

Yes, they sound better than MH1C to my ears, more accurate and balanced if slightly a bit mid-forward. MH1C has too much bass than Lg QB2. The cable is also much better on QB2. 

I don't really want lots of bass so it sounds like GB2 are better in that case. I don't think mid forward is too big a problem.
  I have both (QB2 and MH1C). In the general sense, the QB2 is slightly V shaped with treble emphasis and the MH1C is a slight V shape with more bass emphasis.

Head to head in each category:

Comfort and build: Both have very good build quality (MH1C is slighlty better). The narrow flat Y cable on the QB2 is excellent, average microphonics. The flat J cable on the MH1C will make you want to hang yourself with it. The QB2 has a flatter and wider houding with the nozzle at an angle, MH1C has a slim longer barrel. Fit is subjective. Accessories are equally sparse.

Bass:
MH1C has oodles more sub-bass. Midbass quantity is also at a similar level. Fo the quantity it is chucking out the quality is quite good (but not to my taste). Vent mods will tighten the bass and make it feel more controlled.
QB2 has a midbass hump which is still lesser than the MH1C and sometimes(depending on the genre) does not fit well with the otherwise superb response. Sub-bass quantity is much lower than the MH1C but extends and shows up when called upon. Whether the sub bass quantity is sufficient or not will depend on your preference. Midbass quantity is definitely sufficient for most genres, though it lacks a little control.

Mids
Notes carry nice weight and warmth on the MH1C and is more lush. Both are fairly accurate. Mid-bass spills a bit into the lower mids. The mids are very good but cannot hope to shine/be-prominent because of that bass. The QB2 is also slightly recessed in the mids(mid-bass slightly interferes), more so because of the prominent treble.

Treble: 
MH1C is smooth, forgiving and natural. Is edgy at times but not bothersome. 
QB2 is a clarity oriented phone and sports prominent treble. But, it "never" gets sibilant especially when you expect it to. Even with that 8k peak.

TL;DR: Both are emphasized on opposite ends of the spectrum. MH1C is bass heavy in comparison. QB2 is relatively more neutral with prominent treble but the midbass lift does inject some punch and warmth. The cable is beyond terrible on the MH1C. Treble is very good on both albeit for different reasons.
If neutral and analytical is your aim, the QB2 comes closer (after a midbass EQ cut)
If warm and natural is your aim, the MH1C will come closer (after vent mods)

Personal biased opinion: I love both but the QB2 slightly edges out the MH1C for me.
The cable and heavy bass (even after the mod) were the cons with the MH1C. The occasional midbass eccentricity and slightly recessed mids are cons.on the QB2.

THis is of course a broad description. If you want to know anything specific, let me know.

That was a pretty detailed answer, thanks very much :) I take it they're your top budget pair then? How good are they for prog metal, as this is what I usually listen to; if you think there's a better IEM for that genre then please say. Thanks again

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #15,160 of 16,931

I don't really want lots of bass so it sounds like GB2 are better in that case. I don't think mid forward is too big a problem.

That was a pretty detailed answer, thanks very much :) I take it they're your top budget pair then? How good are they for prog metal, as this is what I usually listen to; if you think there's a better IEM for that genre then please say. Thanks again

For progressive metal I would pick QB2. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #15,161 of 16,931
Hi @ljokerl! Here's to hoping that you get a chance to review the $79 dual dynamic Fidue A71. They are getting quite the buzz here (and imo they definitely deserve it). Thanks!

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #15,163 of 16,931

Well. yes and no. The QB2 shares equal listening time with my Vsonic VSD1S. I have the Ostry KC06 coming in(which I got for 30$), and I'm hoping it will become my go-to budget IEM.

I only listen to a couple of prog rock songs.A little Dream theatre here, a little Opeth there. I fired up "Pull me under" (wow, it's been a while), and it sounded very nice with my QB2. I think I prefer the bass on the VSD1S but the rest of the range sounded slightly better on the QB2 (which sounded airier). That song doesn't extend much into the treble danger zones, and thereby evaded the 10k peak which could cause sibilance on the VSD1S. The mids were just a tad more accurate and natural on the VSD1S, but sounded more recessed on this song, which made me prefer the QB2.

Gun to my head I'd choose the QB2 for metal. Mainly because the safety of never sibilant treble coupled with decent performance across the slight V range is alluring.

I haven't hear other budget IEMs that I would choose over the QB2 for prog metal. There very well maybe. Maybe others with more experience can chime in. 

In general: Always build on your experience with your last IEM(unless you are actively looking to try new flavors). Figure out what you like/don't like about them and read up as many impressions as possible to see if those boxes are checked. After all, it is the consensus that matters.
The QB2 will be quite a departure from your XBA1 in terms of sound signature, extension and presence. But it could be a trial that may change your perspective and make your third IEM purchase a better decided one.

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #15,164 of 16,931
  The flat J cable on the MH1C will make you want to hang yourself with it. 

Lol. Ain't that the truth.

Hi @ljokerl! Here's to hoping that you get a chance to review the $79 dual dynamic Fidue A71. They are getting quite the buzz here (and imo they definitely deserve it). Thanks!

I will review these. They're quite promising although so far I've only compared them to the much more expensive A83 and liked those better 
redface.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #15,165 of 16,931

I will review these. They're quite promising although so far I've only compared them to the much more expensive A83 and liked those better 
redface.gif

Excellent, and fair enough! I haven't tried the A83's, but I was surprised to read of some people enjoying the A71's more than the A83's. Fwiw, I only thought the A71's were "really good" out of the box, but after some burn in (brain, iem, or otherwise lol) they then became really impressive for me.

Having said all of that, I am very much looking forward to your more detailed impressions! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back