Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Mar 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #1,246 of 4,841

Quote:
I read you.

I wonder when manufacturers start using Sonion 4400 (dual driver) which is half size TWFK and just as good. Miniaturization is a b....

I know it's Grzegorz's policy since the begining of his official work on custom IEMs in 2008 or 2009. I remeber discussing with him advantages and disadvantages of dual drivers back in the days :)

When did the 4400 come out?  I wonder if we will see it in anything soon.

And Grzegorz is a blast to chat with about drivers, custom IEMs, sound tuning, etc.  He really knows his stuff and can back it up!  

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,247 of 4,841
Hi Average_joe, just wondering what are you getting from Heir Audio? Its about a month since you send your impressions , looking forward to your review and comparison to other CIEMs :)

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #1,248 of 4,841
Thanks fenom60. It will be a bit of a wait, I am afraid, but good things come to those that wait.  I am pretty excited to see and hear what the Wizard has in store for me with his creativity!

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,249 of 4,841

Quote:
Thanks fenom60. It will be a bit of a wait, I am afraid, but good things come to those that wait.  I am pretty excited to see and hear what the Wizard has in store for me with his creativity!

Did you pick a design or are you giving the Wiz artistic freedom? And what model from Heir are you getting? 

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #1,251 of 4,841

Quote:
I think it was mentioned that the Earproof Atom was using a Sonion 4400... John seems to think that it sounds better than the TWFK.

Right I missed it.
From Project86's review
Quote:
Inside, the Atom is based around a Sonion 4400 dual balanced armature driver

I remember talking to MaoDi whose one of his custom IEMs has had 2x4400 for highs. He was pretty content with the sound.

Quote:
When did the 4400 come out?

2years ago, I believe...

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,253 of 4,841
Quote:

I remember talking to MaoDi whose one of his custom IEMs has had 2x4400 for highs. He was pretty content with the sound.

Yeah, it's too bad MaoDi isn't active these days; he had some of the most radical customs I'd ever seen! Perhaps, after my little project is finished, I'll see if it'd be possible to make an all-Sonion custom, something like 4400 for highs, 3300 for mids, and 3800 for lows. That'd be interesting...

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,254 of 4,841
Joe, do you think that silicones are less sensitive to fit issues than acrylics?

My Miracles refit still didn't work out - the bass drivers are positioned too far away. I need to press on it to hear any bass at all.

However, it seemed like your 5-way Ref had fit issues as well?

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #1,256 of 4,841
I haven't found anyone that does. I once asked Spiral if they'd be willing to reshell a mere set of TF10s (liking the sound and being eager to try out a silicone shell) but apparently they don't do that.

I doubt it'd be any different with CIEMs.  

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #1,257 of 4,841
Spiral actually does make reshells in silicone - see Claus's q-jays
But it's very complicated and in most cases impossible to retain original sound, thus Grzegorz simply avoid maiking reshelss as much as possible.

He quoted me over $350 for 3-driver IEM and said he won't guaranteed good sound.
Silicone has different sound propagation properties and working with it is also PITA i believe, especially in terms of driver positioning.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #1,258 of 4,841
Sounds plausible. Probably is too, considering that Grzegorz is saying so. 

However, how is reshelling any different than creating one of the company's own models? Seems silicone would be a PITA to work with no matter what CIEM you're building. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,259 of 4,841

Quote:
Did you pick a design or are you giving the Wiz artistic freedom? And what model from Heir are you getting? 

Totally up to the Wiz, and I am working with him on what model he thinks would be best.  I think it will be about 2 months until something ships...

Quote:
I think it was mentioned that the Earproof Atom was using a Sonion 4400... John seems to think that it sounds better than the TWFK.

OK, I missed that part.  The Starkey SA-12 TWFK does sound pretty good and much warmer than the universal TWFKs I have heard, not to mention better bass, probably due to bone conduction.

Quote:
Right I missed it.
From Project86's review

2years ago, I believe...

Thanks!

Quote:
When do you expect to receive NT-6 Pro? Awaiting for your review to choose between them and NT-6.

Supposedly this month, but I am not sure.  I will post here when it arrives and should be able to give a quick sum of the differences a week or two after I get it.

Quote:
Joe, do you think that silicones are less sensitive to fit issues than acrylics?

My Miracles refit still didn't work out - the bass drivers are positioned too far away. I need to press on it to hear any bass at all.

However, it seemed like your 5-way Ref had fit issues as well?

I am not so sure.  I did have an issue with my 5-way, but that could be because of my impressions, which is usually the case for many fit issues.  However, canal length also plays a part in how well a custom, acrylic or silicone fits.  

It sounds like the Miracles aren't too far, but the seal is bad.  If you have to press on it to get more bass, the shell is too small.

Quote:
I haven't found anyone that does. I once asked Spiral if they'd be willing to reshell a mere set of TF10s (liking the sound and being eager to try out a silicone shell) but apparently they don't do that.

I doubt it'd be any different with CIEMs.  

I thought 1964 ears reshelled in silicone.  At least they used to.  Adam from Kozee also did a silicone reshell, but I wouldn't send anything to him with the current customer service issues.

Quote:
Spiral actually does make reshells in silicone - see Claus's q-jays
But it's very complicated and in most cases impossible to retain original sound, thus Grzegorz simply avoid maiking reshelss as much as possible.

He quoted me over $350 for 3-driver IEM and said he won't guaranteed good sound.
Silicone has different sound propagation properties and working with it is also PITA i believe, especially in terms of driver positioning.

Ah, there is an option, and an expensive one.  

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,260 of 4,841
Hi all

First time posting.

I just want to share some experience i have with my T1 live! I've recently taken delivery of the earphone after 6 weeks of waiting time, The service from getting my impression and the subsequent communication with ACS and my local dealer was excellent.

The product itself was very well made, you can really feel the quality of the materials from the smell of the leather to the soft touch of the silicon, the laser itching was also spot on. you just know it can't be made for lesser money.

Unfortunately that can't be said for the sound. My initial impression of it was a general lack of clarity and details, a rather prominate background noise and a restricted sound stage. Just about any music with some base in it sounded muddy.
I had over 100 hours of burn in with them, before i contacted my loacl dealer.

Here is my email to my local dealer explaining the issues i have:

As per our telephonic discussion regarding the T1, here is a summary regarding the problem i have with this unit:

The fits
1. There is a squeesh sound everytime i move my jaw, its prominent enough that one can hear it while playing the music.

2. The  seal inside my right ear seem to pop open from time to time, you can feel it open and closes with each and every jaw movement. The sound quality don't seem to be affected, but it is a little irritating when you listening to music, the only way to avoid this is to keep absolutely still, which can get rather uncomfortable within a few minutes.

The sound of the T1 live
This is where i have some serious issue with.
1. There is a very obvious backgroud noise presented between quite passages and at lower listening volume, The best analogy i can think of would be like the Tss, Tss noise one hear from old cassette tapes. Unfortunately once you heard it, you ca't unheard it. It gets loud enough to competet with the music ( at low volume)

2. I'm convinced there is a problem with the electronic part of the unit. The sound i'm hearing is no way near what all the reviews are saying. The sound lack clarity and details ( some are even missing compare to my current earphone) the Base lack shape, texture and is uncontrolled, The whole presentation is very muddy and the highs/mids are muffled to the extend that you are struggling to make out what the singer is singing. The soundstage is restricted and claustrophobic as a result, if i try to compensate the lack of clarity and details by increasing the volume the sound became harsh and distorted. Listening fatigue will set in within minutes. Everything just sounded rough, muddy and unrefined.

I cannot believe this is the sound of a reference monitor. I'm new to hi end earphones, but i have many years listening to some pretty decent home speaker set ups, and i was told that the best custom monitors will rival the sound qaulity of the best home set ups, well i can told you my unit does not come close to that, in fact it was a little embarrassing when i compare it to my free iBuds ( from a iphone 4), and that was more listenable then the T1!

i'm sure the problem can be rectified, as it is now i don't see anyone let along a musician can accept it based on sound quality.

I'll wait for your feedback on these issues.

On anothe note. The service was excellent, very personal and helpful.

Best regards

So to cut a long story short, the audiologist came to my place, pick up the T1live, take another sets of impression and also conducted a hearing test ( that could be seem to be mildly insulting, if i didn't know this audiologist already).she concluded I have excellent hearing. so its not me afterall:p

So now, i felt relieved that it has finally left my possession and its on its way to be fixed, but at the same time rather anxious if they end up finding no fault with my T1 :frowning2:

I use an ER4PT ad an ibud ( just for laugh) for comparison test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back