Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Apr 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,381 of 4,841

Quote:
We're still waiting for your weekly review. What gives?!

Don't worry, it's OK, Joe can't post one this week, so I'm expecting 2 next week, instead! 
blink.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #1,382 of 4,841

Quote:
Lol. I understand what you mean. Maybe, maybe. I guess the main reason is prices as they are on a pair with other companies in the world. So why Ukrainian, lol? Not trying to be racist or anything.
biggrin.gif

I didn't realise the prices are the same. I understand that the armatures must be purchased from companies such as Knowles Acoustics, so that brings the price up quite a bit, but in terms of labour costs, I'd have thought it'd be a bit cheaper to produce CIEMs in Ukraine than in America.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #1,383 of 4,841

Quote:
I didn't realise the prices are the same. I understand that the armatures must be purchased from companies such as Knowles Acoustics, so that brings the price up quite a bit, but in terms of labour costs, I'd have thought it'd be a bit cheaper to produce CIEMs in Ukraine than in America.

Well, I don't know how Ukrainians produce and tune their CIEMs so can't really judge their prices.

In order to ensure people that I am not biased against Ambient Acoustics I would say that, according to feedbacks and impressions, their customers are satisfied with their CIEMs. Anyway, I hope Joe will be able to share his impressions about these customs and prove that they worth their price.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,384 of 4,841
Yes, Joe does seem to have bottomless pockets when it comes to buying CIEMs from around the world. Lucky man!

I hope you enjoy your UM Miracles. I have a pair myself. Their sound characteristic changes quite dramatically depending on how well they are driven/controlled by an amplifier/player. They have quite a spacious sound. They don't extend into the very highest treble frequencies but they do well with instruments like acoustic guitars. I find them best with 'majestic-sounding' material like the 'Gladiator' OST.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #1,385 of 4,841

Quote:
Yes, Joe does seem to have bottomless pockets when it comes to buying CIEMs from around the world. Lucky man!

I hope you enjoy your UM Miracles. I have a pair myself. Their sound characteristic changes quite dramatically depending on how well they are driven/controlled by an amplifier/player. They have quite a spacious sound. They don't extend into the very highest treble frequencies but they do well with instruments like acoustic guitars. I find them best with 'majestic-sounding' material like the 'Gladiator' OST.

Yeah, he is very lucky man and so we are because we can enjoy his reviews and choose the best one for our taste.
Nah, I didn't buy them yet because I am a poor high school student.
biggrin.gif
However, by next Friday I will collect enough money to fund this purchase as my 18's birthday gift (which was 4 days ago). Thank you for your impressions. You have only proved me that it would be a right choice for me.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,386 of 4,841

Quote:
We're still waiting for your weekly review. What gives?!

Quote:
Don't worry, it's OK, Joe can't post one this week, so I'm expecting 2 next week, instead! 
blink.gif

How about I give you two now:
With a highly isolating silicone shell with a deep fit, the SE 5-way combines natural with power wrapped in a sea of resolution.  The presentation adjusts to the recording, ranging from spacious and dynamic with a good recording to dull and boring with poorly mastered 80s music, but always accurate and revealing.  The smallest nuances are presented, more so than with other CIEMs, even with a lower end source, but they are presented in a natural way unlike something like the NT-6, so you sometimes have to listen for them, but they are there.  And, when you are listening to a bass heavy track, look out!  The bass isn't quite to the point of the i9pro with its 14mm dynamic driver, but it is substantial and the most convincing of any BA CIEM I have heard.  Overall the 5-way is a very capable CIEM that makes me forget to go to sleep at night!

I haven't spend too much time with the DUNU Custom 4 unit, but something about it draws me in and makes me reach for it.  First, the acrylic shell is tied with the Thousand Sound TS842 for the best shell quality/finish and the fit is perfect.  Take my initial thoughts with a grain of salt since I haven't started my "official" review, so things can change.  The presentation is magical with exceptional depth, imaging, placement, and internal resolution resulting in a convincing and believable recreation, although it is smaller than the 5-way.  The presentation is a bit more analytical in comparison with the 5-way, but not by much and tonality is very believable.  The presentation is quite neutral across the frequency spectrum, but I still need to listen and compare more.  Like with the 5-way, I can forget what I am doing as the resolution levels are very high.  I need more comparisons, but the Custom 4 unit has a similar magic to the presentation that the Starkey SA-43 does, but from a different perspective.  What I mean by that is both present in an absolutely involving way, but the SA-43 does so with incredible space,but doesn't offer the best resolution while the Custom 4 unit doesn't have the space but has better internal resolution. 

Does that satisfy you guys?

Quote:
@average_joe

Wow! That is really interesting! I am looking forward to see a review of these customs in the future. As I know they are from Ukrainian-based company whose customs are quite well-known in Russia where I used to spend my whole life.
biggrin.gif
However, I didn't see any detailed reviews or comparisons on Russian forums although I remember it was said by a representative of a company that Ambient Acoustics AM4 has a somewhat similar sound signature and mainly in bass to 1964 Ears Quads. In contrast, Ambient Acoustics AM4 Pro is said to be tuned to be more neutral and analytical. That's what I have read on that forum. There is not much discussion here (in Russia
tongue.gif
) probably because people still prefer to use universal iems or get customs from more popular companies such as 1964 Ears, JH Audio and others.

The AM4 and AM4 pro are relatively new so I am not surprised there aren't many impressions.  I will be doing a full review.

Quote:

There are two main manufacturers, Knowles and Sonion, and at least one more, a Korean company (forgot the name at the moment).

Quote:
Yeah, he is very lucky man and so we are because we can enjoy his reviews and choose the best one for our taste.
Nah, I didn't buy them yet because I am a poor high school student.
biggrin.gif
However, by next Friday I will collect enough money to fund this purchase as my 18's birthday gift (which was 4 days ago). Thank you for your impressions. You have only proved me that it would be a right choice for me.

I do it all for you guys 
wink_face.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,387 of 4,841
The DUNU Custom 4 sounds like it's a sweet CIEM, then, if your initial impressions prove to be well-founded, Joe.

I'll certainly look forward to that review (and I'd really like to see you review FitEar's 334 - of course, I'd expect you to buy both custom and 'To-Go' variants, just so we can be sure! 
tongue_smile.gif
)

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,388 of 4,841

Quote:

Does that satisfy you guys?

The AM4 and AM4 pro are relatively new so I am not surprised there aren't many impressions.  I will be doing a full review

I do it all for you guys 
wink_face.gif

No, you have just warmed up our appetite, and we want...more, more. MORE!
biggrin.gif
Man, I just can't wait patiently to see your another awesome review!

Well, and the company itself is quite new in this market. They are also the first CIEMs company in Ukraine.

I can't find enough words to express my gratitude for all your hard work. I really enjoy your reviews especially for your comparisons with other ciems that you have although I wish you could include Rocoo P and Studio V as your sources.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #1,389 of 4,841

Quote:
The DUNU Custom 4 sounds like it's a sweet CIEM, then, if your initial impressions prove to be well-founded, Joe.

I'll certainly look forward to that review (and I'd really like to see you review FitEar's 334 - of course, I'd expect you to buy both custom and 'To-Go' variants, just so we can be sure! 
tongue_smile.gif
)

Yes, and I can review it without any comparisons of custom IEMs within the price range and make it sound really really good, which it is as a stand alone.  But, I think I will do my usual comparison to see where it really stands!

And I think I may have access to a To-Go variant, but since the 334 is a Japan only model, I am not sure I could even get one.

Quote:
No, you have just warmed up our appetite, and we want...more, more. MORE!
biggrin.gif
Man, I just can't wait patiently to see your another awesome review!

Well, and the company itself is quite new in this market. They are also the first CIEMs company in Ukraine.

I can't find enough words to express my gratitude for all your hard work. I really enjoy your reviews especially for your comparisons with other ciems that you have although I wish you could include Rocoo P and Studio V as your sources.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is no pleasing the masses 
tongue_smile.gif

And thank you for your compliments!

Check the first page of this thread...I do have quick evaluations of both of those sources.  

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,391 of 4,841

Quote:
BTW, I wash my hands of this push to review $1800 customs from FitEar... this is Jude's fault, not mine!
tongue_smile.gif

Oh, trust me, I'm not asking about the 334 because of you or Jude mentioning it! 
biggrin.gif
 (seriously!)

I've been interested about the 334 customs for almost a year now. I'm intrigued that they use 2 mids with 1 woofer, one tweeter. Very interesting approach.

I haven't delved into whether the '2 mids' are 2 entirely seperate mids, or if they're a TWFK-style approach (as in the UM Miracle, for example). I'm guessing they're entirely seperate mid BA drivers, but I'm 'all ears' if anyone knows for certain, one way or the other.

Looking at the photographs, the custom 334s look to be absolutely stellar build quality.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #1,392 of 4,841

Quote:
There is no pleasing the masses 
tongue_smile.gif

And thank you for your compliments!

Check the first page of this thread...I do have quick evaluations of both of those sources.  

You are always welcome!
Yeah, I have already read it. What I mean I would like to see them in your reviews of ciems so that I can see how customs match with Rocoo players. 
wink.gif
 Of course, you don't have to do it if you think it's not necessary or takes too much efforts. As long as you let us read your reviews I am happy.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #1,394 of 4,841
Quote:
Oh, trust me, I'm not asking about the 334 because of you or Jude mentioning it! 
biggrin.gif
 (seriously!)

I've been interested about the 334 customs for almost a year now. I'm intrigued that they use 2 mids with 1 woofer, one tweeter. Very interesting approach.

I haven't delved into whether the '2 mids' are 2 entirely seperate mids, or if they're a TWFK-style approach (as in the UM Miracle, for example). I'm guessing they're entirely seperate mid BA drivers, but I'm 'all ears' if anyone knows for certain, one way or the other.

Looking at the photographs, the custom 334s look to be absolutely stellar build quality.

It's not confirmed, but supposedly it uses an ED29689 for the highs, a Sonion 3300 (33A007, to be specific, you can see it in Jude's photos) for the mid/lows, and a CI22955 for the lows. Extrapolating from the ER4, the TS842, and others, the highs using the ED should be excellent. The 3300 is an interesting choice for the mids/lows; I'm using them as my low driver in my current project. The CI is pretty much used universally for lows.

Apr 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,395 of 4,841
Thanks for the detailed clarification.

BTW, reading back through my previous post (which you quoted, above), I realise it is open to misinterpretation - I didn't mean to imply that the UM Miracle uses actual TWFK for midrange frequencies.

I really hope to see an in-depth review from Joe, on the 334s, since he has a very large collection of CIEMs with which to compare it.

It's a pity Fitear seem so reluctant to deal with international CIEM customers. Still, the 'To-Go' 334 variant appears to be a good product in it's own right, if preliminary impressions prove to be valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back