Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Mar 25, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,306 of 4,841
Quote:
Customs are seriously being so painful for me right now.. I'm thinking of selling and just turning to top end universal and sticking to fullsize at home.

Painful in which way? I'm trying out a combination universal/custom shell, but the canal portion is shortened and terminated with a TF10-sized silicone tip. You might want to try that out if the pain is with regard to pressure inside the ear canal... (I remember reading about your customs woes, but I don't recall exactly what went wrong)

Also, in my experience, the SM3v2 doesn't isolate as well, but it's pretty good for an universal IEM.

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #1,307 of 4,841
Painful in which way? I'm trying out a combination universal/custom shell, but the canal portion is shortened and terminated with a TF10-sized silicone tip. You might want to try that out if the pain is with regard to pressure inside the ear canal... (I remember reading about your customs woes, but I don't recall exactly what went wrong)

Also, in my experience, the SM3v2 doesn't isolate as well, but it's pretty good for an universal IEM.

Kanashimu is experiencing financial, time, and general hassle/stress-related pain, not so much pain from physical poor fit.

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #1,308 of 4,841
Quote:
Kanashimu is experiencing financial, time, and general hassle/stress-related pain, not so much pain from physical poor fit.

I thought it was a poor fit even after a refit? What I'm suggesting is for a silicone tip so that it at least isolates even when it's not a flawless fit. Currently, I have odd problems with my 4.A's right earpiece even after a complete rebuild off new molds. Sometimes, it might have to do with ear anatomy. My right ear continues to curve, so my right earpiece tends to slide in and out somewhat. Honestly, I probably should've gone for a deeper canal length, and it probably would've completely solved my fit woes. Luckily, after my rebuild, the isolation is good --- the fit just can be a bit loose sometimes, so I have to play with it for a while to get it to stay in the optimal place for the sound to come through the same way as it does with my left ear; otherwise, I'd be in the same boat as Kanashimu. The ironic thing is that I usually get fit problems with my left ear instead of my right with universals, but it's the other way around with customs, probably because the right ear is more 'accomodating' of various angles and fits, making any less than flawless mold difficult to work with. Also, I have smaller than average ears, so a small deformity, post-removal of the molds can affect the shape...

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #1,310 of 4,841

Quote:
I thought it was a poor fit even after a refit? What I'm suggesting is for a silicone tip so that it at least isolates even when it's not a flawless fit. Currently, I have odd problems with my 4.A's right earpiece even after a complete rebuild off new molds. Sometimes, it might have to do with ear anatomy. My right ear continues to curve, so my right earpiece tends to slide in and out somewhat. Honestly, I probably should've gone for a deeper canal length, and it probably would've completely solved my fit woes. Luckily, after my rebuild, the isolation is good --- the fit just can be a bit loose sometimes, so I have to play with it for a while to get it to stay in the optimal place for the sound to come through the same way as it does with my left ear; otherwise, I'd be in the same boat as Kanashimu. The ironic thing is that I usually get fit problems with my left ear instead of my right with universals, but it's the other way around with customs, probably because the right ear is more 'accomodating' of various angles and fits, making any less than flawless mold difficult to work with. Also, I have smaller than average ears, so a small deformity, post-removal of the molds can affect the shape...

Oh, I see your point - what I meant was that Kanashimu has been having such hassle and time/expense with getting repairs (e.g. UM Miracle cable socket) and refits, so that was (in my interpretation) the majority of the 'pain' Kanashimu has been suffering, over the past couple of months. I see your point, too, though

beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #1,311 of 4,841
Oh? How would I get a silicone tip? Most CIEM manufacturers do not work with silicone..

And there are severe fit issues.. at first there was no bass. Adding some nail polish to the tip fixes that issue, but my Miracles sound like headphones that are worth half the price.. sometimes a third, completely lacking the body and refinement of my HE-500s.. yet I see the potential there, the amazing detail retrieval, the emotion it pours out.

Isolation is obviously meh as well.

Every time I wear my Miracles it smells like nail polish too, which doesn't help.

At $150+ per refit, I'm not sure if I want to keep doing this.

The time it takes to insert and remove, the burden of carrying around a $1000 headphone.. it has so much potential but its just not getting realized which makes me sad.

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #1,312 of 4,841
Quote:
Oh? How would I get a silicone tip? Most CIEM manufacturers do not work with silicone..

And there are severe fit issues.. at first there was no bass. Adding some nail polish to the tip fixes that issue, but my Miracles sound like headphones that are worth half the price.. sometimes a third, completely lacking the body and refinement of my HE-500s.. yet I see the potential there, the amazing detail retrieval, the emotion it pours out.

Isolation is obviously meh as well.

Every time I wear my Miracles it smells like nail polish too, which doesn't help.

At $150+ per refit, I'm not sure if I want to keep doing this.

The time it takes to insert and remove, the burden of carrying around a $1000 headphone.. it has so much potential but its just not getting realized which makes me sad.

It's a special request. I've been working with Mr. Xiao of Gui Ling... it'll accept any TF10-diameter silicone tips. I don't know how well he would understand the concept if you communicate with him in English, though; I correspond with him in Chinese. PM me if you're curious.

I feel for you; it sucks that you haven't been able to get a good fit; my fit isn't perfect, but it's at least fairly comfortable and has good isolation.

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #1,313 of 4,841

Quote:
It's a special request. I've been working with Mr. Xiao of Gui Ling... it'll accept any TF10-diameter silicone tips. I don't know how well he would understand the concept if you communicate with him in English, though; I correspond with him in Chinese. PM me if you're curious.

I feel for you; it sucks that you haven't been able to get a good fit; my fit isn't perfect, but it's at least fairly comfortable and has good isolation.

So he can remake the tips of my acrylic custom?

How much does the service cost?

I'm really worried though.. two tries and UM couldn't position everything right. Silicone could be a nice touch though.

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #1,314 of 4,841
Quote:
So he can remake the tips of my acrylic custom?

How much does the service cost?

I'm really worried though.. two tries and UM couldn't position everything right. Silicone could be a nice touch though.

It's a reshell and so it only costs as much as a reshell (900 RMB IIRC), so you'll need to take impressions again... but during the mold-shaping process, he'll shape the canal portion to accept universal silicone tips, like any other universal IEM. The canal will be shorter, and thus you won't get as much isolation, but you'll at least get a seal because of the silicone (or foam) tips. It's like a universal demo custom, but with the shell portion that houses everything in the shape of your ear, and not some generic shape.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #1,316 of 4,841

Quote:
Oh, you can tell us, we won't repeat it. 
biggrin.gif

I have been warned about you 
wink.gif

Quote:
I don't get surprised by anything, so you can tell me.
wink.gif

Well, then for you it will be just another review.  I am shooting to be done by the end of this week, if time permits.

Quote:
Hey Joe, sort of an aside here:

How do you think an SM3v2 does relative to your customs in terms of isolation ? (We're talking busy streets and loud subways). What about microphonics? Any bone conduction?

Customs are seriously being so painful for me right now.. I'm thinking of selling and just turning to top end universal and sticking to fullsize at home.

With the triple flange tips on the SM3 V1 (which has a different shell than the V2) isolation is quite good for a universal in my ears, but then the triple flanges go deep into my canals.  It is still not as good as my custom IEMs, but not too far behind a standard acrylic shell.  Sorry to hear about your pain.

Quote:

Not that this helps anything, but it does seem like there are fit issues from time to time across most manufacturers for currently unknown reasons, although in your case you are probably correct.  I am trying to take mental notes of all these things to see if I can figure out any patterns.  Just a thought that it could be mouth position during the impression process; did you use a bite block, closed mouth, or another technique?

Quote:
Very Mage'ish judging by drivers and their placement. Looking forward to your impression

But I think the Custom 4 unit is a 4-way...

Quote:
It's a reshell and so it only costs as much as a reshell (900 RMB IIRC), so you'll need to take impressions again... but during the mold-shaping process, he'll shape the canal portion to accept universal silicone tips, like any other universal IEM. The canal will be shorter, and thus you won't get as much isolation, but you'll at least get a seal because of the silicone (or foam) tips. It's like a universal demo custom, but with the shell portion that houses everything in the shape of your ear, and not some generic shape.

Thats pretty interesting; the same as making demo units.  

And speaking of silicone, there are 6 manufacturers that I know of (ACS, Spiral Ear, Sensaphonics, Minerva, Pure Tone, and Earproof) and then others with silicone/vinyl canals (Hidition, Westone, Futuresonics).  I am not saying you should look into those, but silicone is more forgiving, and a deeper canal is better for isolation and fit in general.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,317 of 4,841
I wish the surprise would be Westone ES5 or UM Miracle. They are very popular but still not reviewed by Joe due to some kind of tragic circumstances.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #1,318 of 4,841
Joe likes to look outside of the usual suspects, which is nice because it led me to take the Spiral Ear SE-5 under consideration as a potential purchase

(thanks, Joe!)  
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #1,319 of 4,841

I have been warned about you 
wink.gif

You shouldn't believe rumors, Joe. Especially when they are about me and possibly true.

Quote:
And speaking of silicone, there are 6 manufacturers that I know of (ACS, Spiral Ear, Sensaphonics, Minerva, Pure Tone, and Earproof) and then others with silicone/vinyl canals (Hidition, Westone, Futuresonics).

Future Sonics? Really??

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,320 of 4,841

Quote:
Joe likes to look outside of the usual suspects, which is nice because it led me to take the Spiral Ear SE-5 under consideration as a potential purchase

(thanks, Joe!)  
beerchug.gif

That's true and I am considering the SE-5 Way too.  However I still haven't receive any reply from them for like 5 days. =(

Someone who ordered from them last month told me that they're pretty busy recently tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back