Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Jan 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,036 of 4,841

Quote:

DreamEarz really struck me with their value and SQ (as I see from your review and few other impressions). So the last question will be: how good are the 465$ AUD-3X and 525$ AUD-4X ? Just in case if my budget will be limited in some ways. 

P.S. Thank you very much Joe! You are really helpful and I don't know where would I go without your reviews and your help. Reviews are very informative. Thanks to you, newbies like me here now can make some pretty good purchase from the first time. Especially those on a tight budget that can't afford tons of different gear. You're the man!

i dont think anyone has tried any other dreamears but the 5x. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,037 of 4,841

Quote:
Thanks again, I plan on at least buying the TF10's soon then. I believe I will like them and like you said they'll be a good compliment since they seem to be leaning towards slightly different types of sounds. If I decide WOW then I may just get them custom molded like I was thinking about. If I decide almost wow, then I may spend that money on a cable. If the cable wows me then I'll get them custom molded.

Again, thanks. You are helping me very much with my knowledge of headphones!

~Apprentice Joe =P

Small edit: As far as cables, I skimmed your tf10 cable thread and I wanted to know was there a cable that sounded as good as the chris cable and was at or around the same reasonable price but wasn't super stiff? I don't trust stiff cables haha

Good plan, start on the cheap and see how you like them.  Of course, on the flip side, high end CIEMs are far superior to the high end universal IEMs, at least most of them, that even if you don't like a universal all that much, you may just like the high end CIEM.  However, I really don't think it is worth the risk just in case you really don't care for CIEMs.

I like the Null Audio cables for the TF10.

Quote:
DreamEarz really struck me with their value and SQ (as I see from your review and few other impressions). So the last question will be: how good are the 465$ AUD-3X and 525$ AUD-4X ? Just in case if my budget will be limited in some ways. 

P.S. Thank you very much Joe! You are really helpful and I don't know where would I go without your reviews and your help. Reviews are very informative. Thanks to you, newbies like me here now can make some pretty good purchase from the first time. Especially those on a tight budget that can't afford tons of different gear. You're the man!

As caracara08 said, I don't think anyone else has tried anything other than the 5X.  With a $40 price different, I would strongly advise going for that, but you can always let us know how another model performs :wink:

You are welcome and I hope you get what you are looking for the first time.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,038 of 4,841
average_joe, I've read about the EM4-Anedio synergy in your new review thread (brilliant review by the way). Any chance you can describe the JH16-Anedio synergy with respect to other desktop DACs?

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,039 of 4,841

Quote:
average_joe, I've read about the EM4-Anedio synergy in your new review thread (brilliant review by the way). Any chance you can describe the JH16-Anedio synergy with respect to other desktop DACs?

The D1 is my only true desktop DAC, but I do have source matching with the D1 and HUD-MX1 in my JH16 review.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,040 of 4,841
Hi Joe,

Great thread this is. Could you please give me some advice. What ciem's would you advice for movies. Currently I am using the SE5's from Georgz and although they are really good with music they miss the slam (subwoofer) with movies (could also be the source). Which of the ones you have listened to would fit here.

Thanks in advance

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #1,041 of 4,841

Quote:
Hi Joe,

Great thread this is. Could you please give me some advice. What ciem's would you advice for movies. Currently I am using the SE5's from Georgz and although they are really good with music they miss the slam (subwoofer) with movies (could also be the source). Which of the ones you have listened to would fit here.

Thanks in advance

If you're after really powerful bass then you may need to consider dynamic drivers - UM Merlin or FutureSonics MG6Pro (you could try their Atrio, or just go for the MG6Pro, though I admit it's a pain that there are no demos available)

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,042 of 4,841
I'm not looking for "flatter" response by which some mean bass depleted.
RE272 itself is suffering from bass cut with the perfect fit even - detailing matches Westone ES3 I've demoed. (but not the balance, it's quite different)
VSonic GR07 is not suffering from general bass cut, but is lacking subbass and "punch". And of course it's nowhere near as detailed and slightly lowpassed.

UM Merlin charts don't look like it's warmed up. (no 100-200Hz bump, just a normal "linear boost") But I do know that charts sometimes lie...

About UERM - I've demoed it a long time ago and despite great fit (better than Westones for one), it was somewhat lacking in bass (in that it was similar to Westone 4, but more pronounced) and had a mid-high frequency peak which I found annoying. (kind of like the annoying "sibilant" peak in GR07)

I don't know of T1 Live - what is it? What's NT6? (Edit: Never mind, mentioned in the first post. Edit 2: Also read the measurements: 10kHz boost looks excessive. (Crosschecked vs some other IEMs known to me that were measured by the site.)

Ok, since I've read the NT-6 review... I'll probably pay through the nose for SE-5 then. Shipping will be easier too, heh.
More edit: By the way, according to the page Grzegorz is now offering a detachable cable option for 70 Euro.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #1,043 of 4,841

Quote:
Hi Joe,

Thanks in advance

The i9pro may be one of the best!  It has huge sub-bass and FST technology, which adds spaciousness. Although, they aren't on the same level as the 5-way.

Speaking of the 5-way, it does seem like either you don't have enough of an amp, or you don't have a good seal.  I am not left wanting more bass from my 5-way with a nice amp, and in fact the 5-way can outperform the LCD-2 from my Anedio D1 DAC.

Quote:
If you're after really powerful bass then you may need to consider dynamic drivers - UM Merlin or FutureSonics MG6Pro (you could try their Atrio, or just go for the MG6Pro, though I admit it's a pain that there are no demos available)

Yes, or the i9pro :wink:

Quote:
I'm not looking for "flatter" response by which some mean bass depleted.
RE272 itself is suffering from bass cut with the perfect fit even - detailing matches Westone ES3 I've demoed. (but not the balance, it's quite different)
VSonic GR07 is not suffering from general bass cut, but is lacking subbass and "punch". And of course it's nowhere near as detailed and slightly lowpassed.

UM Merlin charts don't look like it's warmed up. (no 100-200Hz bump, just a normal "linear boost") But I do know that charts sometimes lie...

About UERM - I've demoed it a long time ago and despite great fit (better than Westones for one), it was somewhat lacking in bass (in that it was similar to Westone 4, but more pronounced) and had a mid-high frequency peak which I found annoying. (kind of like the annoying "sibilant" peak in GR07)

I don't know of T1 Live - what is it? What's NT6? (Edit: Never mind, mentioned in the first post. Edit 2: Also read the measurements: 10kHz boost looks excessive. (Crosschecked vs some other IEMs known to me that were measured by the site.)

Ok, since I've read the NT-6 review... I'll probably pay through the nose for SE-5 then. Shipping will be easier too, heh.
More edit: By the way, according to the page Grzegorz is now offering a detachable cable option for 70 Euro.

OK, I now have a better handle of what you are looking for.  The T1 Live! and 5-way would both be a good fit, but I think the T1 would be the closer match.  The 5-way can seem very bass heavy with bass heavy tracks and can really reproduce a lot of bass!  

As far as looking at frequency response charts, they can be very misleading.  The FX500 and CK10 look nearly identical in the bass region, but the FX500 has far more bass.  It comes down to the attack and decay; what can the driver do?  And something can graph flat in the bass, but have a thick note and the sound will be warm and thick.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,044 of 4,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as looking at frequency response charts, they can be very misleading.  The FX500 and CK10 look nearly identical in the bass region, but the FX500 has far more bass.  It comes down to the attack and decay; what can the driver do?  And something can graph flat in the bass, but have a thick note and the sound will be warm and thick.

Yes, I know. The waterfall chart is a far better predictor when available. Square wave/step response for at least 3 different frequencies is also a decent predictor, especially important to consider for low end accuracy. Unfortunately, no one has measured SE-5 or T1 Live yet.

Any reviews of T1 Live around? I see some (pretty incomplete) of T1, but none of this more advanced model.
Performance of SE-5 I can attempt to extrapolate from the NT-6 review, but T1 Live is a real unknown.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,045 of 4,841

Quote:
Any reviews of T1 Live around? I see some (pretty incomplete) of T1, but none of this more advanced model.
Performance of SE-5 I can attempt to extrapolate from the NT-6 review, but T1 Live is a real unknown.

As I understand it, the T1 Live should be the same as the T1s (note the 's' as that is the upgraded T1 released in 2010) sonically. The main differences are the detachable cables and apparently the crossovers. Would that affect the sound in a discernible way?

I'd review them if I was even remotely capable, but there are a few reviews out there:

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2010/04/18/acs-t1-custom-fit-iem-in-review/

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blogs/hifi-headphones-266567/2578-acs-t1-custom-earphones-review-brand-new-2010.html

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,046 of 4,841

Quote:
Yes, I know. The waterfall chart is a far better predictor when available. Square wave/step response for at least 3 different frequencies is also a decent predictor, especially important to consider for low end accuracy. Unfortunately, no one has measured SE-5 or T1 Live yet.

Even those charts really don't tell the whole story IMO and there are some things that only the ear can really pick up, at least for now.  I am sure there are enough things that can be charted to really tell what is going on, eliminating the need for ears, but to my knowledge some of the tests I think would be needed don't exist.

How can you extrapolate the 5-way performance from the NT-6 review?

Quote:
As I understand it, the T1 Live should be the same as the T1s (note the 's' as that is the upgraded T1 released in 2010) sonically. The main differences are the detachable cables and apparently the crossovers. Would that affect the sound in a discernible way?

I'd review them if I was even remotely capable, but there are a few reviews out there:

http://www.touchmyapps.com/2010/04/18/acs-t1-custom-fit-iem-in-review/

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blogs/hifi-headphones-266567/2578-acs-t1-custom-earphones-review-brand-new-2010.html

Ah, Shigzeo's poetic review!  If you can wait, my review will be up in a month or two.  And a crossover can surely affect sound, but I am not sure how different the T1 and T1 Live! are in sound.  I would suspect it is not too big of a difference.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,050 of 4,841
The LS8 has a peak while the EX1000 is more of a taper up, but the biggest differences are the bass and warmth as well as the detail level/resolution.

No, not in quantity nor in deep bass rumble, although the EX1000 may take to EQing better in the bass region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back