Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
May 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #2,761 of 4,841
A great comparative review by Inner Fidelity. Very clear and well organized. Too bad none of the silicone CIEMs really impressed by their sound. I wish the 5-Way could have been included in the brawl. Wait! Since I'm wishing, I may as well wish to be rich enough to afford the 5-Way, the new JH13, and the ES5! 

May 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2,762 of 4,841
Thanks again for all the comments. In some cases, it might be better to ask there if you have a particular question about something we compared. Not all of the writers track this thread.

A few people have lamented the fact that we didn't include the Spiral Ear 5-way. That really couldn't be helped - it was up to the company to send whatever they wanted, and they chose the 3-way, possibly because it had never been covered anywhere else before. ljokerl would know the story more than I would though. 

About JH13 brightness: I no longer have the original but if you ask in the IF comment section, someone who still has both can probably speak on that. I'd say the FreqPhase is not really "bright" to me, but is somewhat "accented" up top. It's a fine line though, and for some people "bright" may be the correct term. It definitely helps that the lower end is not thin - thin bass paired with those highs is more likely to come across as bright. 

May 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,763 of 4,841
Quote:
A few people have lamented the fact that we didn't include the Spiral Ear 5-way. That really couldn't be helped - it was up to the company to send whatever they wanted, and they chose the 3-way, possibly because it had never been covered anywhere else before. ljokerl would know the story more than I would though. 

How "frozen" is this comparative review, BTW? Its size and cooperative nature make it hard to update, obviously; so what if a company decided now to send you (all?) a CIEM for review?

May 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2,764 of 4,841
My feeling is that now that the review is in place, if one of us finds another CIEM we like, we could review it, and make references to the big review.  And I might also link to new reviews from the big article.

At some point, maybe two or three years from now, the article may stale enough (new models, changes to old models) that a new massive comparative review would be warranted, and we'll do it all over again.

May 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #2,765 of 4,841
I think one of you should like the se5, another one a fitear 334 or 335, a third one an Inear custom from Germany, the 4th should like the Fit Ear PS5 from the US. :)
My feeling is that now that the review is in place, if one of us finds another CIEM we like, we could review it, and make references to the big review.  And I might also link to new reviews from the big article.

At some point, maybe two or three years from now, the article may stale enough (new models, changes to old models) that a new massive comparative review would be warranted, and we'll do it all over again.

May 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,766 of 4,841
Wow that's a lot of CIEMs :) Great stuff. Very nice write up. I am somewhat surprised about the favorite choices though, specially 8.a. JH13 looks like my next target too. My current old version of JH16 (and the old JH13 demo) doesn't sound like anything close to a top class CIEMs. Hope the new JH13 can change my opinion on this.

As far as the SE5, it's hard to get, hard to review and every single SE5 might sound different, no surprise it's not included.

May 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2,767 of 4,841
Quote:
Wow that's a lot of CIEMs :) Great stuff. Very nice write up. I am somewhat surprised about the favorite choices though, specially 8.a. JH13 looks like my next target too. My current old version of JH16 (and the old JH13 demo) doesn't sound like anything close to a top class CIEMs. Hope the new JH13 can change my opinion on this.

As far as the SE5, it's hard to get, hard to review and every single SE5 might sound different, no surprise it's not included.

I already knew I loved the 8.A but had to see if ljokerl agreed or not. But it's no surprise really - Wizard makes a mean CIEM!

Agreed about the SE5. Not that I doubt Joe's impressions, but it really does seem like a moving target. The SE3 that was included seems like a fun basshead CIEM if you are into that sort of thing. 

May 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,768 of 4,841
Quote:

I already knew I loved the 8.A but had to see if ljokerl agreed or not. But it's no surprise really - Wizard makes a mean CIEM!

Agreed about the SE5. Not that I doubt Joe's impressions, but it really does seem like a moving target. The SE3 that was included seems like a fun basshead CIEM if you are into that sort of thing. 

I'm a little surprised that so many people on the Heir appreciation thread are posting messages attempting to discredit the results of the Inner Fidelity CIEM round up.  Despite Heir doing very well there are some upset people eager to discredit the JH13.

On another note: The next go around it would be wise to invite Average Joe to contribute.  This thread is an invaluable resource and he deserves a larger (or second stage) for his work.

May 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,769 of 4,841
Quote:

True, probably my 8.a was a mean one :p.

Yeah from the SE3 impressions, that looks very similar to my SE3 pro impressions which is like a dark, basshead CIEM which isn't even fun to me. But with that said, it takes nothing away from SE5, well I should say "my SE5" which is the only thing I have heard to date that is comparable with LCD 3 and also allows you to insert them in ears. Shame that the manufacturing quality control isn't seem to be consistent. 

And how you guys actually review them? by using tips and wraps?

May 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,770 of 4,841
Quote:

On another note: The next go around it would be wise to invite Average Joe to contribute.  This thread is an invaluable resource and he deserves a larger (or second stage) for his work.

Most definitely~ specially when he is probably the person who owns the most CIEMs in this world.
etysmile.gif

May 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #2,771 of 4,841
Quote:

If in a couple of years you are to do another one and would like another guy to join your reviewing gang, feel free to ask me :wink:

May 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #2,772 of 4,841
I wish the UERMs got more love, but its understandable that more people prefer the warm sound signature than the analytical one.

May 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #2,773 of 4,841
Quote:

I'm a little surprised that so many people on the Heir appreciation thread are posting messages attempting to discredit the results of the Inner Fidelity CIEM round up.  Despite Heir doing very well there are some upset people eager to discredit the JH13.

Nah, I think people have good feedback so far. I'm totally fine with people asking questions or even completely disagreeing. 

Joe wasn't included because he doesn't write for InnerFidelity. Simple as that. As I already said, immense respect to him and this thread of his. 

Quote:

And how you guys actually review them? by using tips and wraps?

Full customs for every model. No universals or anything like that, if that's what you mean. 

May 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2,774 of 4,841
Quote:

Full customs for every model. No universals or anything like that, if that's what you mean. 

Ohh, I thought 4 or 5 of you reviewed those CIEMs together? All of them are customs for each of you? So that's like 24 * 4 (or 5) = 96 customs in total if you want to agree with each other on every single model?  Or you reviewed all 24 customs? Sorry just a bit confused how the review is written up by you guys.

May 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,775 of 4,841
Quote:
Ohh, I thought 4 or 5 of you reviewed those CIEMs together? All of them are customs for each of you? So that's like 24 * 4 (or 5) = 96 customs in total if you want to agree with each other on every single model?  Or you reviewed all 24 customs? Sorry just a bit confused how the review is written up by you guys.

Sorry for the confusion.

Each of us has our own page. Each model on that page is an actual CIEM for that particular owner. So all 5 people have a JH13FP, all 5 have an ES5, 4 of the 5 have 3MAX, 2 of us have 8.A, 2 of us have Miracle, etc. Some models are only owned by 1 of us - the 1964 V6, the Spiral Ears SE3, the Lear LCM-5, UM Merlin, UM PP6... so you can't really do the math easily. But I think it's 42 actual CIEMs total between us. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back