Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2,222 of 4,841
Quote:

Ah, OK.   Curious situation.

It's similar to the Heir 6.A LE situation in that proprietary drivers ended up at the wrong place. But the circumstances differ from there... and we never found out what company the drivers in the 6.A were originally meant for.

I don't even think Knowles told Heir Audio who the drivers were supposed to be for - they simply said Heir couldn't order any more. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #2,223 of 4,841
Quote:

It's similar to the Heir 6.A LE situation in that proprietary drivers ended up at the wrong place. But the circumstances differ from there... and we never found out what company the drivers in the 6.A were originally meant for.

I don't even think Knowles told Heir Audio who the drivers were supposed to be for - they simply said Heir couldn't order any more. 

Am I the only one who thinks Knowles appears to have a bizarre approach to business, if this situation arises in the first place, if it arises under more than one circumstance (which, allegedly, it seemingly has), and if they make a song and dance about it when they realise their mistake (if, indeed it ever was a mistake, rather than perhaps clearing surplus bespoke stock from orders commissioned in the past by other customers. I find it hard to believe that a high-precision manufacturer like Knowles doesn't have batch numbers in place, for internal auditing purposes, and, evidently, they are  able to tell what they are selling, when it suits them to 'realise').

Personally, given the enormous investment of time and money required in order to develop a refined CIEM, I'm of the opinion that Knowles, if (if) they may have erroneously supplied, should, under such circumstances damn well accept responsibility and therefore continue to honour what has already been supplied by continuing to supply it. It's very unfair for any manufacturer to move the goalposts on the customer, through no fault of the customer, who may be facing a big loss in having to withdraw a successful product from the market and having to invest time, money and advertising on a replacement product.

The more I hear about such (alleged) shenanigans, the more I'm really going off Knowles, and consequently, may be more inclined to purchase CIEMs that incorporate BA components from competing companies, such as Sonion or whatever.

If it turns out that the above is an inaccurate impression of what has occurred in the supply of TWFKs (etc.) to certain CIEM vendors, then I would appreciate anyone setting me straight and I would, of course, withdraw my sentiments in light of that.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #2,225 of 4,841
I won't disagree with you there. Whether it is shadiness or just good old fashioned incompetence... either way looks bad. 

The scenario in your second paragraph is exactly true for the Heir 6.A though - basically Heir has a big hole in their lineup now because of a mistake on the part of Knowles. It might not matter all that much to Knowles, who probably sells exponentially more units to hearing aid makers compared to CIEM companies... but it matters to Heir and it matters to us. 

Then again, CIEMs being a relatively small chunk of their business, maybe they don't care all that much. As you said, there's always Sonion. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2,226 of 4,841
Quote:

Am I the only one who thinks Knowles appears to have a bizarre approach to business, if this situation arises in the first place, if it arises under more than one circumstance (which, allegedly, it seemingly has), and if they make a song and dance about it when they realise their mistake (if, indeed it ever was a mistake, rather than perhaps clearing surplus bespoke stock from orders commissioned in the past by other customers. I find it hard to believe that a high-precision manufacturer like Knowles doesn't have batch numbers in place, for internal auditing purposes, and, evidently, they are  able to tell what they are selling, when it suits them to 'realise').

Personally, given the enormous investment of time and money required in order to develop a refined CIEM, I'm of the opinion that Knowles, if (if) they may have erroneously supplied, should, under such circumstances damn well accept responsibility and therefore continue to honour what has already been supplied by continuing to supply it. It's very unfair for any manufacturer to move the goalposts on the customer, through no fault of the customer, who may be facing a big loss in having to withdraw a successful product from the market and having to invest time, money and advertising on a replacement product.

The more I hear about such (alleged) shenanigans, the more I'm really going off Knowles, and consequently, may be more inclined to purchase CIEMs that incorporate BA components from competing companies, such as Sonion or whatever.

If it turns out that the above is an inaccurate impression of what has occurred in the supply of TWFKs (etc.) to certain CIEM vendors, then I would appreciate anyone setting me straight and I would, of course, withdraw my sentiments in light of that.

I have plenty of thoughts about this and have seen similar issues (sales reps selling something they aren't supposed to sell) in different industries.  Unless we really know how it all went down I wouldn't assign blame to any one place, but found it interesting to hear that there was a change, which I haven't tried to confirm or deny, and I will leave it at that.

Quote:
What would be the closest sounding CIEM to the Heir Audio 8A, that can be purchased (manufactured/shipped) within Europe? 

The EM4 is pretty close, and you can read my comparison in my 8.A review (linked in the first post).

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,227 of 4,841
Quote:
The EM4 is pretty close, and you can read my comparison in my 8.A review (linked in the first post).

Thanks! Will do... 
beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #2,228 of 4,841
Holy mother of God. This thread is boss!

I guess I know where to look if I am wanting to go customs. Nice work, Joe!

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #2,229 of 4,841
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2,230 of 4,841
Quote:
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your help... I think the 8.A is exactly what I'd want in a CIEM, soundwise! But the problem is here where I live, stuff coming from outside of Europe are almost sure to be heavily taxed by customs, around 40% more over the price I paid, and because of that, the 8.A (or any other CIEM coming from outside of Europe) isn't an option for me, sadly! About the EM4, I've read your review and comparison to the 8.A, and since I'm very sensitive to bright treble (sibilance and harshness are a no go for me) maybe they're not for me. I really think the laid back nature of the 8.A's treble would really fit my tastes (but also its mids and lows)... 
frown.gif

I'm currently considering the Cosmic Ears HY3 triple hybrid model, as they're based in Sweden and the price/performance ratio seems very good! That model costs a third of the EM4, and having a dedicated dynamic driver for the low end is a plus for me! From initial impressions, it seems to be a very balanced sounding CIEM in the mids and highs, with great bass output. Maybe that's the way to go for me...

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,231 of 4,841
Quote:

Thank you for your help... I think the 8.A is exactly what I'd want in a CIEM, soundwise! But the problem is here where I live, stuff coming from outside of Europe are almost sure to be heavily taxed by customs, around 40% more over the price I paid, and because of that, the 8.A (or any other CIEM coming from outside of Europe) isn't an option for me, sadly! About the EM4, I've read your review and comparison to the 8.A, and since I'm very sensitive to bright treble (sibilance and harshness are a no go for me) maybe they're not for me. I really think the laid back nature of the 8.A's treble would really fit my tastes (but also its mids and lows)... 
frown.gif

I'm currently considering the Cosmic Ears HY3 triple hybrid model, as they're based in Sweden and the price/performance ratio seems very good! That model costs a third of the EM4, and having a dedicated dynamic driver for the low end is a plus for me! From initial impressions, it seems to be a very balanced sounding CIEM in the mids and highs, with great bass output. Maybe that's the way to go for me...

Seems like you'd want to take a look at the EM3 or EM6.  The EM3 is basically the highend version of the SM3 which was anything but bright to my ears.  Very heavy, rich, 3D presentation, I can only expect the EM3 to have more of an old tube sound to it than the SM3 did.  Euphoric, involving, romantic.  Not sure where in Europe you're from but if you're familiar with vintage British gear think 60's Leak gear for the EM3 and more like 40's-50's Brook gear for the EM6.  The EM4 is earsonics "audiophile" IEM while still retaining the Earsonics flavor so it will be a bit more accurate/analytical when compared to the rest of their lineup, but still retain an Earsonics house sound.  The EM3 is very musical and colored (again think 60's Leak) where the EM6 would probably sound closest to ProAc speakers if you're familiar. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,233 of 4,841
Hi,

I've been reading alot of reviews for C-IEMS and hopefully one of you guys here can help with some advice!

Going by the Glossary from headfi .. I think I am after a slightly laid back, warm, inbetween neutral to vshape custom IEM but cannot really pin point which one is best suited for this kind of sound sig!!

I was looking at Miracles or V6 but nothing seems to be ideal at the moment.

thanks

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #2,234 of 4,841
Quote:
Hi,

I've been reading alot of reviews for C-IEMS and hopefully one of you guys here can help with some advice!

Going by the Glossary from headfi .. I think I am after a slightly laid back, warm, inbetween neutral to vshape custom IEM but cannot really pin point which one is best suited for this kind of sound sig!!

thanks

The Miracles have many talents but I wouldn't describe them as 'warm'.

Heir 8.A, maybe, if they're not too bassy for you?

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #2,235 of 4,841
Quote:
Hi,

thanks

Maybe the 1964 V3, depending on how warm you want it. I find that at times it seems just slightly boosted, and other times it almost veers into basshead territory depending on the music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back