Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Nov 16, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #2,206 of 4,841
Quote:
I dunno about you guys but I am still really wanting an AverageJoe vs Earsonics EM6 review.  So few reviews on that IEM but they are all glowing, would certainly like the maestro of customs to conduct a review
biggrin.gif

After his reviews of SM3,EM3 and EM4, hmm I don't see that's happening in a short time since earsonics house sounds are pretty much consistant :wink: I got that from SM3, EM3 and EM6
wink.gif
 (they are all a little bit dark to my ears).

EM3 is like a better overall SM3, EM6 is like SM3 on steriod:wink:

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #2,207 of 4,841
Quote:
After his reviews of SM3,EM3 and EM4, hmm I don't see that's happening in a short time since earsonics house sounds are pretty much consistant :wink: I got that from SM3, EM3 and EM6
wink.gif
 (they are all a little bit dark to my ears).

EM3 is like a better overall SM3, EM6 is like SM3 on steriod:wink:

I figured as much, but I think that could be said for most any manufacturer. They have a specific sound sig they like to stick to but as you move up the line there are different variations of that sig to a greater/lesser extent.  Earsonics tends not to stray too far from the mark however.  I had the SM3, which was fabulous, dark, rich, rolled off, lush.  The EM6 must be gobs more of the same signature, if you wouldn't care to elaborate (I'm assuming from your post you've heard the EM6) I'd be quite interested.  Kind of like the Senn HD650 of LCD 2 I take it then, except for IEM?

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #2,208 of 4,841
For SM3 I need to play with different tips to get the best sound, since I do find some tips tend to make the sound sibilant, compared to other tips.

As far as EM6 PRO,

Bass: Best thing about EM6, very powerful, one of the most powerful bass I ever heard in a CIEM.   And the control is super too, you don't feel it distort other part of the spectrum much which is rare for bass heavy earphones. It really goes deep and the decay is really neutral, so it provides this very dynamic presentation.

Mid: I will call it very neutral, it's where it should be placed with good liquidity. Doesn't sound recessed even the bass quantity is on the larger side.

High: This is a very interesting region. It sounds really lush without producing any sibilance, and at the same time very airy too~. The airy sound really make the bass sound it's moving lots of air. That's some great tuning. But with that said, it still sounds dark. There is a broad cut around 8-12k. I feel they really want to tune it sound signature to something like LCD 2's. However it doesn't have the trasparency that LCD 2 has.  The upper region of the high of EM6 is very well extended. almost as good as LCD 2. But I feel there is a slight emphasis at the far end, which does make the sound a little bit...don't know the word. like "particulate matter like feel"
frown.gif

Soundstage: it's decent, the combination of different regions of the spectra does create a pretty realistic space. Medium horizontal size with great depth.

It probably sounds like a V shaped HD650 of LCD 2 if you know what I mean lol.
The key words will be: Smooth, organic, dynamic, bass, airy~
I feel EM6 is very good for pop, hip hop, electronic type of music. for rock and classic it will probably lacks something.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,209 of 4,841
I'll just put down my thoughts about the em4 and em6. A few weeks ago my friend bought the earsonics em6 after hearing my em4. Now it has arrived and I did a quick comparison of the two, the results are quite unexpected.

Before I give any impressions, the em6 is not molded to the shape of my ears, but I managed to get a seal on it by forcing them in with my hands, it wasn't pleasant  but hopefully it gives me a valid impression.

Shortly put, the em4 and em6 are quite different. The em4 has the earsonics house sound: warm, lush, smooth and engaging, I think it is tuned extremely well for vocals and soft jazz. The em6, on the other hand, sounds more like a JH audio product. The prime wow factor on the em6 is definitely it's soundstage, it is simply huge, probably the biggest of all iems I've ever heard. Besides the soundstage, em6 also boasts better dynamics than the em4, although I already find the em4 quite strong in that aspect. The em6 also has a sharper, thinner, more grainy tone, as opposed to em4's smoothness. Not unlike slightly turning up the sharpness of a photo in photoshop, em6 provides slightly better texture, but becomes less forgiving and more prone to fatiguing in the long run. The em6 also has a more linear, and even slightly v- shaped sound when compared to the mid centric em4. Sonically the em6 is also colder and faster than em4, providing a cleaner tone but less reverb and fullness. Although the em6 is less of an earsonic than the em4, we should keep in mind that the em4 is quite strongly colored, so the em6 actually still falls on the warm, smooth side of the spectrum when compared to other earphones. Simply put, I think the em6 has the upper hand in technicalities, but em4 has a better tuning with more warmth, smoothness and musicality.

I hope this kind of clear things up about these two ciems, since there arent't too many comparisons out there.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2,210 of 4,841
Quote:
For SM3 I need to play with different tips to get the best sound, since I do find some tips tend to make the sound sibilant, compared to other tips.

As far as EM6 PRO,

Bass: Best thing about EM6, very powerful, one of the most powerful bass I ever heard in a CIEM.   And the control is super too, you don't feel it distort other part of the spectrum much which is rare for bass heavy earphones. It really goes deep and the decay is really neutral, so it provides this very dynamic presentation.

Mid: I will call it very neutral, it's where it should be placed with good liquidity. Doesn't sound recessed even the bass quantity is on the larger side.

High: This is a very interesting region. It sounds really lush without producing any sibilance, and at the same time very airy too~. The airy sound really make the bass sound it's moving lots of air. That's some great tuning. But with that said, it still sounds dark. There is a broad cut around 8-12k. I feel they really want to tune it sound signature to something like LCD 2's. However it doesn't have the trasparency that LCD 2 has.  The upper region of the high of EM6 is very well extended. almost as good as LCD 2. But I feel there is a slight emphasis at the far end, which does make the sound a little bit...don't know the word. like "particulate matter like feel"
frown.gif

Soundstage: it's decent, the combination of different regions of the spectra does create a pretty realistic space. Medium horizontal size with great depth.

It probably sounds like a V shaped HD650 of LCD 2 if you know what I mean lol.
The key words will be: Smooth, organic, dynamic, bass, airy~
I feel EM6 is very good for pop, hip hop, electronic type of music. for rock and classic it will probably lacks something.

Sounds very akin to what I was looking for / anticipating in this phone given the SM3.  Dark and heavy is certainly where I like to be for whatever reason.  So it dips from 8-12 and then highlights the region above?  Sounds a bit strange or disjointed as you described above.  From what I'm getting in your description it has a pronounced bass, lush but somewhat recessed mid within the context of the bass and highs?  I know you said it doesn't sound recessed but with the large descriptions of the bass and highs (and their quantity) seems like it would have to be, but I might be interpreting this incorrectly.  So do you prefer the EM3 then?

Quote:
I'll just put down my thoughts about the em4 and em6. A few weeks ago my friend bought the earsonics em6 after hearing my em4. Now it has arrived and I did a quick comparison of the two, the results are quite unexpected.
Before I give any impressions, the em6 is not molded to the shape of my ears, but I managed to get a seal on it by forcing them in with my hands, it wasn't pleasant  but hopefully it gives me a valid impression.
Shortly put, the em4 and em6 are quite different. The em4 has the earsonics house sound: warm, lush, smooth and engaging, I think it is tuned extremely well for vocals and soft jazz. The em6, on the other hand, sounds more like a JH audio product. The prime wow factor on the em6 is definitely it's soundstage, it is simply huge, probably the biggest of all iems I've ever heard. Besides the soundstage, em6 also boasts better dynamics than the em4, although I already find the em4 quite strong in that aspect. The em6 also has a sharper, thinner, more grainy tone, as opposed to em4's smoothness. Not unlike slightly turning up the sharpness of a photo in photoshop, em6 provides better texture, but becomes less forgiving and more prone to fatiguing in the long run. Sonically the em6 is also colder and faster than em4, providing a cleaner tone but less reverb and fullness. Simply put, I think the em6 has the upper hand in technicalities, but em4 has a better tuning with more warmth, smoothness and musicality.
I hope this kind of clear things up about these two ciems, since there isn't too much comparisons out there.

Hmmm, thin doesn't seem to fit with the house sound of Earsonics.  I definitely appreciate your descriptions though!  From what I can tell on their website the EM4 is the audiophile monitor headphone which would lend itself to a thinner, more accurate, colder approach.  However, in a very Earsonics way.  The EM6 is supposed to be powerful and rich, seems like the fit (the IEMs not being for your ears) might have lent a hand in making it a bit thinner.  I tried JH and was not a fan.  Very harsh for my ears, so hearing that the EM6 might be along those lines is a bit disappointing.  What have you tried other than the EM4 and I'm assuming a JH product?

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,211 of 4,841
Hmmm, thin doesn't seem to fit with the house sound of Earsonics.  I definitely appreciate your descriptions though!  From what I can tell on their website the EM4 is the audiophile monitor headphone which would lend itself to a thinner, more accurate, colder approach.  However, in a very Earsonics way.  The EM6 is supposed to be powerful and rich, seems like the fit (the IEMs not being for your ears) might have lent a hand in making it a bit thinner.  I tried JH and was not a fan.  Very harsh for my ears, so hearing that the EM6 might be along those lines is a bit disappointing.  What have you tried other than the EM4 and I'm assuming a JH product?

Don't get me wrong, em6 is still on the warm and full side of the spectrum, it's just that it's compared to the em4 which is heavily colored. I agree that JH stuff are quite harsh, don't worry, em6 is nothing like that. I'm not sure where you get the impressions of the em4 being thinner, but I have sent an email to earsonics twice to ask info about em6, the first time they told me em6 would be thicker and the second time they said it would be thicker (What). So I'd say it's not wise to believe everything they say, if you happen to have contacted them.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,212 of 4,841
No I prefer EM6 any day. It doesn't have any recessed mids at all. the mids (well I should say mids and upper mids?) is very rich and full placed at the right position to my ears. EM6 sounds airy to me, that's when I compare it with EM3, SM3. But it's definitely still a dark earphone but with very extended ultra high frequencies. So it's not exactly V shaped, you know what I mean? If I have to say, it's probably a V shaped EM3 PRO, only enhanced at two very far ends of the spectrum. 

5-7k region is pretty neutral.  The dip will be around 8-12 k, I never tested it, but that should be the case to my ears. that's why I said it remained most of the house sound signature. dark~

EM6 doesn't sound thin to my ears at all. hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #2,214 of 4,841
Quote:
I dunno about you guys but I am still really wanting an AverageJoe vs Earsonics EM6 review.  So few reviews on that IEM but they are all glowing, would certainly like the maestro of customs to conduct a review
biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the input on the Earsonics products.  The SM3 really started my journey into the higher end and while these days it doesn't impress me much, I do remember it fondly!  As far as reviewing the EM6, I would love to, but it will be quite a while before I pursue that as I have many others CIEM lined up. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,215 of 4,841
You can add new manufacturer to list.

Audiolab Systems, as other they are really big hearing aid manufacturer and decided to show off their possibilities by making customs.

They have two models, both cost around 750$. Two way, three driver design.

I had Linear model for review, really detailed, fast and accurate, but really need some amp to show off their potential. I was using them daily and loved every moment with them.

Second models is more bassy and also should go better with MP3 players.

http://www.audiolabsystems.com/gb/audiolab_e/Spezial_Music_Phone_Pro.html

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,216 of 4,841
Wait. If I read that right, it says "electrodynamic" as the driver principle...
Suggests either a hybrid or a dual dynamic driver. For instance, their Softphone is clearly based to be put around a dynamic driver.

Supposedly, this company can also make SLS titanium ear molds...

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #2,219 of 4,841
Quote:
I have been told the new UM products are no longer using the JHA tuned BAs, so all new Miracles may sound different than the older ones.

Joe, it just occurred to me (random thought, you know how it is...)

...did you definitely mean the Miracles, in relation to JHA tuned BAs, or did you actually mean the Heir 6.A?

Just checking, that's all.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,220 of 4,841
Quote:
You can add new manufacturer to list.

Audiolab Systems, as other they are really big hearing aid manufacturer and decided to show off their possibilities by making customs.

They have two models, both cost around 750$. Two way, three driver design.

I had Linear model for review, really detailed, fast and accurate, but really need some amp to show off their potential. I was using them daily and loved every moment with them.

Second models is more bassy and also should go better with MP3 players.

http://www.audiolabsystems.com/gb/audiolab_e/Spezial_Music_Phone_Pro.html

Thanks, I will add it soon.

Quote:
Joe, it just occurred to me (random thought, you know how it is...)

...did you definitely mean the Miracles, in relation to JHA tuned BAs, or did you actually mean the Heir 6.A?

Just checking, that's all.

I know about the 6.A, but from what I was told, UM was getting JH BAs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back