Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2,161 of 4,841
Quote:
"the TS853 is absolutely worth the try"

Too bad you can't really try it, since it's a custom.

Worth a try, as in, if you don't like it, you can just smash it with a hammer --- remember, the review is written by a person whose consumer culture is to throw brand-new magazines costing 8-10 dollars into the trash once they're done with reading them on the subway.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #2,162 of 4,841
Quote:

Worth a try, as in, if you don't like it, you can just smash it with a hammer --- remember, the review is written by a person whose consumer culture is to throw brand-new magazines costing 8-10 dollars into the trash once they're done with reading them on the subway.

I have a trash can :wink:

I do like the TS842, and with an impedance adapter or impedance switch on my old Arrow, it performs punches above its weight.  They bass isn't overdone and is very high in quality and headroom/dynamics.  If the midrange is no longer recessed, the BA output smoother (without the increased impedance) and the coherence better, it could be a fantastic CIEM.  Although the Rooth LSX5 is what I described.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #2,163 of 4,841
Quote:

I have a trash can :wink:

I do like the TS842, and with an impedance adapter or impedance switch on my old Arrow, it performs punches above its weight.  They bass isn't overdone and is very high in quality and headroom/dynamics.  If the midrange is no longer recessed, the BA output smoother (without the increased impedance) and the coherence better, it could be a fantastic CIEM.  Although the Rooth LSX5 is what I described.

I could try to e-mail Mr. Xu to find out more infomation about the TS853, but that'll have to wait until after next week; I'm kind of busy this week.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #2,164 of 4,841
Quote:

What?! That's horrible! You mean he's still reading them on paper?! No iPad?? Luddite!

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,165 of 4,841
Does anyone have recommendations for ciems with a laid back sound signature; something suitable for leaving on as background music while working? I have the Heir 4.A and love it but it drags me away from my work a little too much, so looking for something to complement it when I really need to get some stuff done.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2,166 of 4,841
Quote:
Does anyone have recommendations for ciems with a laid back sound signature; something suitable for leaving on as background music while working? I have the Heir 4.A and love it but it drags me away from my work a little too much, so looking for something to complement it when I really need to get some stuff done.

The Alclair Reference, Minerva Mi-3, and on the UE PRM on the higher end of the spectrum all should work well, it just depends on what you want to spend.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2,167 of 4,841
Quote:

I was thinking of the 1964 Ears V3 as a nice laid back sound signature. It's certainly engaging but also smooth and sounds really good at lower volumes due to the high level of dynamics. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2,168 of 4,841
Quote:

The Alclair Reference, Minerva Mi-3, and on the UE PRM on the higher end of the spectrum all should work well, it just depends on what you want to spend.

How would the Alclair Reference compare with the Heir 4As? It's too bad I missed the Heir promotion for the 4As. I just had to get into the CIEM interest a month late. My plans now are either to wait for another sale for the 4As to go down to $450 (which I know won't be for a while), or get something else that is equal in price/performance ratio in the $300-600 range. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,169 of 4,841
Quote:

I could try to e-mail Mr. Xu to find out more infomation about the TS853, but that'll have to wait until after next week; I'm kind of busy this week.

The TS853 is still being tuned and should be finished in December.  It will cost around $800.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2,170 of 4,841
Quote:
  The TS853 is still being tuned and should be finished in December.  It will cost around $800.

Thanks! Guess I have one less task to do!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #2,173 of 4,841
Quote:
Thanks! Guess I have one less task to do!
bigsmile_face.gif

NP.  Good to hear they are continuing to move forward.  I really like the bass of the TS842 and think for the price it is a good CIEM and has withstood the competition from a technical perspective.

Quote:

... and you will review it?

I still have other reviews to finish...

Quote:
Not until he's (finally) reviewed the UM Miracle!  haha! 
tongue_smile.gif

...but seriously, Joe, when are you going to stop overlooking the (non-active) UM line?
confused_face.gif

Things in the mainstream head-fi CIEM world have taken an interesting turn.  The new Freqphase products from JH are getting some good press, and in a related note, I have been told the new UM products are no longer using the JHA tuned BAs, so all new Miracles may sound different than the older ones.  I have heard so many good things about the Miracle and do want to hear my own customized version, but before then I should be getting the PP6 demo to audition.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #2,174 of 4,841
Quote:
...in a related note, I have been told the new UM products are no longer using the JHA tuned BAs, so all new Miracles may sound different than the older ones.

Ahhh.... funny you should mention that. I wasn't aware of that, but I happened to notice in some Miracle pics, recently, that the bass BA driver(s) appeared slightly larger than I recall mine being. I hadn't mentioned that observation to anyone but your remark has now prompted me to.

Of course, you're probably going to tell me that I'm nuts and that the bass drivers are exactly the same size! LOL!

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #2,175 of 4,841
Quote:

Ahhh.... funny you should mention that. I wasn't aware of that, but I happened to notice in some Miracle pics, recently, that the bass BA driver(s) appeared slightly larger than I recall mine being. I hadn't mentioned that observation to anyone but your remark has now prompted me to.

Of course, you're probably going to tell me that I'm nuts and that the bass drivers are exactly the same size! LOL!

I don't really know, but I would imagine it might be difficult to tell the size from a pic, especially if the shell sizes and picture angles are different.  I am waiting for you to tell me the differences, you have been eyeballing them enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back