Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion (Check first post for review links & information)
Oct 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,146 of 4,841
http://englishbutler.jugem.jp/?eid=33

So, I didn't even know Thousand Sounds had come out with yet another hybrid model, this time a 4 BA + dynamic...
Mr. Xu has been a busy bee.

EDIT: Apparently, the guy wrote an English version as well? http://englishbutler.jugem.jp/?eid=34

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #2,147 of 4,841
Quote:
Perhaps the half shell custom will do best in that case, such as Fabs. The small size should help with sweating too.
These likely aren't bright enough.

Starkey SA-12 could be a hit too with its very tiny size, but the sound might be too bright or bright in the wrong place - but it might work for you. (it's a TWFK after all)
If you know AKG K3003, Fischer Audio DBA-02, Brainwavz B2 or VSonic GR01, you should have some idea how it sounds, but the tuning is probably slightly different.
For me, this sounds bit "in the face" or "hand cupped by the ear" and flat due to the 5k boost, but otherwise is slightly warm and very nice analytic presentation.

SE-5 (but this might be an artifact of my pair), EM4, EM6 and 8.A etc. are likely too dark if you want something energetic in the highs. SE-5 and probably 8.A provide added energy and punch by their bass instead. Not sure if EM4 or EM6 can do the same.
I'd describe the SE-5 sound as a very dampened room or a large hall - similar to LCD-2. It still has some bite to it, but it feels "cozy" and not analytical at all. Kind of an anti-presence feel or a smooth rolloff.

--
And here's a question: I really need a DIY impression kit. Care to recommend a good one available separately, in EU?

US is acceptable with normal shipping prices (not $40).
--
It has come to pass that my SE-5 only reach the second bend and not go past it. (thanks for the x-ray check for an unrelated reason) I need to make some crazy deep impressions - by that I mean at least 6mm longer. Funnily enough, super deep inserted Comply P Slim (with Brainwavz B2) just reach into it. Not as comfortable while inserting that deep. (definitely pushes against some bone) This nets nearly optimal frequency response (sans the notable bass boost, super high end rolloff and some 3 dB 5k boost) and vastly improved soundstaging.

So... We Need To Go Deeper!

I know that cosmic ears do a diy kit for customers, but don't sell it on it's own.  Perhaps if you emailed and asked very nicely they might sell you one on it's own?

Oct 24, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2,148 of 4,841
There is a new CIEM company in Poland, Lime Ears, and they ship worldwide.  They have two models currently, a 3 driver and a 2 driver, but they are working on a 4 driver.  Prices seem reasonable (click about on the Facebook page).

Also, sad news.  Starkey Norway is no longer making CIEMs.  The SA-43 is still one of my favorites and quite unique with the laid back and spacious sound.  They designed some great systems for live binaural recordings and the hands-free seemed like a great deal.

Quote:
ok i can do that one then ^_^
even with a perfect fit, you will sweat and after some hours it can be disturbing. for real long time of use, i believe some super small universals with foam tips would do better i ve been using some for like 13hours in a row sometimes, and could use them again the next day.
i can put my hear on the pillow with Qjays, with my er4 it would prolly be death by probing :)  , with all my sonys i just can't feel comfortable. i did it with customs and broke 2cables, the plastic part hiding the soldering with the pins. and i feel lucky i didn't break the pins inside the ciem.
for non fatigue sound, i would go for flat stuff or a little bump in the mids, but i really hurt fast with anything V shaped even at low volume.

How did I miss that one?  Thanks for the great answer.  Comfort for me is dependent on the of each individual CIEM and I do notice my ears change size slightly from time to time, changing the feel.  The changes consist of my ear canals getting a bit smaller resulting in a tighter fit, but they do go back to the original size.

Quote:

So, I didn't even know Thousand Sounds had come out with yet another hybrid model, this time a 4 BA + dynamic...

EDIT: Apparently, the guy wrote an English version as well? http://englishbutler.jugem.jp/?eid=34

Nice find!  I do like the TS842 and it sounds like the TS853 is a step up.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #2,149 of 4,841
Quote:
...sad news.  Starkey Norway is no longer making CIEMs.  The SA-43 is still one of my favorites and quite unique with the laid back and spacious sound.  They designed some great systems for live binaural recordings and the hands-free seemed like a great deal.

I'm sorry to hear that - have they folded, or have they simply made a decision to exit that sector of the market?

I mean, as I understand it, their main market is hearing aids...

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2,150 of 4,841
New Fitear CIEM called MONET

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that - have they folded, or have they simply made a decision to exit that sector of the market?

I mean, as I understand it, their main market is hearing aids...

From what I know, they just stopped making CIEMs.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2,154 of 4,841
I'll buy the Monet just to listen to crappy Anime music ripped from youtube. Seems reasonable. After all - we shouldn't expect an iem to do it all for a mere $2000 should we?

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #2,155 of 4,841
My bet is those have some 2kHz boost to vocals, just to be super annoying in j-pop. Recommended for people with more money than sense and no access to Head-fi?
rolleyes.gif

Project for a few weekends: creating custom silicone molds by myself. Next step: dynamic driver reshelling, we'll see how that goes. (Yes, I have enough CNC tools and materials to make it happen, but not impression kits. Impression material is quite special and I can't find a source.)

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #2,156 of 4,841
Quote:

Project for a few weekends: creating custom silicone molds by myself. Next step: dynamic driver reshelling, we'll see how that goes. (Yes, I have enough CNC tools and materials to make it happen, but not impression kits. Impression material is quite special and I can't find a source.)

audiologists and dentists use pretty much the same stuff so you could try a dentist or dental technician (dunno if that s the name, i mean the guy who actually does false teeth where the dentist will only put them in your mouth and get your money) or their suppliers, even if suppliers will probably not sell anything unless you get a ton of the stuff.

so step one , go play golf, meet all the dentists and other kind of surgeons and befriend them.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #2,157 of 4,841
Quote:
This is extremely awesome review, thanks average_joe

Thanks for reading!

Quote:

What??  ~ $2000 for CIEMs (only)?

Small price to pay for listening to Anime :wink:

Quote:

Yeah, but it comes with a "moe" wallpaper!

What more could you ask for?

Quote:
I'll buy the Monet just to listen to crappy Anime music ripped from youtube. Seems reasonable. After all - we shouldn't expect an iem to do it all for a mere $2000 should we?

In all seriousness, I wonder how they changed the sound and what an Anime CIEM's strengths is.

Quote:
My bet is those have some 2kHz boost to vocals, just to be super annoying in j-pop. Recommended for people with more money than sense and no access to Head-fi?
rolleyes.gif

Try contacting hearing aid manufacturers.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #2,159 of 4,841
Oct 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #2,160 of 4,841
Quote:

"the TS853 is absolutely worth the try"

Too bad you can't really try it, since it's a custom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back