MSUR N650 / N550 / N350 any experience?
Jun 1, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #121 of 254
Is this from your own experience? From my experience with the B6 (and several other headphones and IEM's) blocking the vents reduces bass quantity and gives better quality......
My experience is also, that when you close the holes in the cup you reduce (sub) bass quantity. This is on a N550 / B6 type headphone.

Oct 19, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #123 of 254
Hello, just received my brand new pair of N650. But im confused. They sound "cheap". Do I need any EQ to get proper quality of sound, or I was scammed and bought fake ones(BTW how to spot fake?). Another thing that made me feel scammed it the fact that Cups look diferent. Here are some pictures:

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

gN7R1R

ffxLT6

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #124 of 254
I don't think you got a fake. I recentely ordered a N-650 using a very reliable seller, and I got the same ones as you have. I think they altered the earcup design. There is no foam 'plug' on the inside of the earcups anymore.
When I first put them on, they also sounded a bit on the el-cheapo side. Thinking I got a wrong/fake pair I contacted the seller (all the while leaving the N-650 playing music, while they where not on my head). After sending the e-mail to the seller, I went back to the earphones after 10 minutes or so and put them on again and they had come to life! Giving a nice and full sound.

I'm now in the proces of finding out if the ommision of the plug is the only thing that has changed.

I've not yet gathered the courage to open them up. but on close inspection under a flashlight, the drivers seem to look the same as the ones posted in the pictures in this thread.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #125 of 254
I got them. In stock form those are too bassy. Too much resonances, reverbs and general muddiness. Thick foam covering the driver makes things Even worse. Imaging is only things that impressed me. I took off that foam piece covering the driver and another from inside the the headphones that covers the Back grille. That removed the veiled sound but Bass needed taming so I replaced the stock pads with hm5 velours. Now these sound awesome:)
Hi again, think this thread is more appropriate. So do you try blocking back grill too? And about the foam of magnet, you mean the little white stuff we see in the back of it? The patty mods was very the worst and nearly make some fall into driver! PC090587.JPG
Now, must admit, without pads filtering the sound its ULTRA trebly, and im no treble sensitive. The B7 got great potential for clarity and details retreival but for now its way too harsh. Might try filling the cups with something.....

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #126 of 254
I have confirmation that MSUR did alter the design of the earpads. They no longer have the inner-foam ring. All N650's sold now, will have the new earpads. I have never heard them with the pads with the foam-plugs, but the with the 'new' pads, they sound ezxcellent. Very balanced sound, with a sligth V-shape.

However I put on some HM5 earpads. Initially just for the added comfort, but it also did improve the sound a bit. Highs where slightly softened in volume and Bass became a bit 'fuller' (for lack of a better word)
The round HM5 pads are ever so slightly to big, but will fit the N650 with some slight modification. By cutting of some material from the inner-ring of the HM5 pads (the ring that holds the pads on the earphone), they fit perfectly. All be it that they can be rotated on the N650 more easily then the original pads. The fit is a bit loose. In an earlier post in this thread I did see someone putting them on, just by pulling them over the N650. This however partially covers the holes of the wooden earcups, which altered the Bass-response. Covering up those holes gives you a bit more mid-bass reponse at the cost of sub-bass and soundstage.

With the HM5 pads on there is a bit more sub-bass (although the improvement is subtle) and the high's become less harsh. I will try other pads, because somehow, the white pads seemed like a good idea looks-wise, but in reality I think black earpads look better in my opnion.
KHd9FIC.jpg
qfbLpzJ.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #127 of 254
I have bought the N650. I quite like them out of the box.
Warm detailed sound with nice bass.

When i remove the pads I can see three "stickers" I saw in a review there is a hole in each "sticker".
Mine does not have them. Is the hole standard?
And what would be achieved when put a hole in it?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #128 of 254
I have bought the N650. I quite like them out of the box.
Warm detailed sound with nice bass.

When i remove the pads I can see three "stickers" I saw in a review there is a hole in each "sticker".
Mine does not have them. Is the hole standard?
And what would be achieved when put a hole in it?
Most likely the holes either boosts or reduces specific frequencies. Which frequencies? Difficult to say precisely.

My first thought was that the holes would work as a kind of bass reflex, but the holes are simply too small and have no depth either.

If you like what you hear, then leave it as it is. If you are curious and want to experiment - and what you do is fully reversible - then try it out.
I have damped and sealed the entire baffle as much as possible.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #129 of 254
I just got my pair of n650, wow the sound quality is impressive for the price.

they have a very "hi fi" sound to them, people don't talk enough about what makes them different from other headphones, and they do sound different.

I guess the best way to describe it, is that they can't really handle too many instruments going on at once, and instrument separation is barely okay... but the instruments and voices that you do hear, are reproduced with a remarkable ammount of fidelity, that even high end headphones struggle to achieve. imaging is great, and soundstage is good, but where these headphones shine is just sheer frequency reproduction... wow.

bass doesn't have tons of rumble yet, but it goes deep and you can feel it, it's really high quality bass

mids are fcking nice, and sound really true to the recording, more than almost any other headphone I have, I believe this to be thanks to the excellent highs

Highs are like the mids amazing, they don't fatigue you, and they definitely make every song sound so realistic (can't stress enough what awesome job they do at fidelity)

I think these cans could go up against 500$+ headphones, easily since they sound that good out of the box

peace

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #130 of 254
New modding experiences and tips for MSUR N550 / N650 type headphones

I just swapped to to Brainwavz HM5 protein leather pads on my N550 (OEM version). I can recommend HM5 (protein) leather pads. They are relatively cheap and deliver top quality bass and dynamics, primarily because of their memory foam.

Tip 1
While changing pads, I also sealed all the three holes in the cup. Then sound check: Almost all bass was gone and sound was really lean and thin! I know for certain that the old pads leaked quite a bit of bass compared to the HM5 pads, so I sealed the holes to balance things out, but the holes really make a HUGE impact on the tonality of the headphone. Since the sound was really thin, I opened all three holes again and BAM! Now the bass was too much and voices muffled. Then - by just sealing one, repeat, one hole made a significant difference. Tonality was back to normal. So - in short - having just one hole sealed or opening just one hole makes a quite big difference to not only the amount of bass, but also up in the lower mids. Too much lower mids sounds like a veil in front of the whole sound image.

Tip 2
One thing I never got fixed (until now) with my OEM N550 was the sensibility to mechanical noise. Anything that touched the cups directly or indirectly would sound really loud: "click-click" from the yokes or "clack-clack" through the cable. I tried to dampen the baffle with self adhesive paste (Pritt Multi Tack, Blu-Tack etc.), but gained practically nothing from it. This time I added a thin layer of self adhesive paste on the rim of the baffle which is in contact with the cup. This seals and almost glues the baffle to the cup. Now the mechanical noise in the headphone is clearly dampened (not entirely gone, but much better).

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #131 of 254
New modding experiences and tips for MSUR N550 / N650 type headphones

I just swapped to to Brainwavz HM5 protein leather pads on my N550 (OEM version). I can recommend HM5 (protein) leather pads. They are relatively cheap and deliver top quality bass and dynamics, primarily because of their memory foam.

Tip 1
While changing pads, I also sealed all the three holes in the cup. Then sound check: Almost all bass was gone and sound was really lean and thin! I know for certain that the old pads leaked quite a bit of bass compared to the HM5 pads, so I sealed the holes to balance things out, but the holes really make a HUGE impact on the tonality of the headphone. Since the sound was really thin, I opened all three holes again and BAM! Now the bass was too much and voices muffled. Then - by just sealing one, repeat, one hole made a significant difference. Tonality was back to normal. So - in short - having just one hole sealed or opening just one hole makes a quite big difference to not only the amount of bass, but also up in the lower mids. Too much lower mids sounds like a veil in front of the whole sound image.

Tip 2
One thing I never got fixed (until now) with my OEM N550 was the sensibility to mechanical noise. Anything that touched the cups directly or indirectly would sound really loud: "click-click" from the yokes or "clack-clack" through the cable. I tried to dampen the baffle with self adhesive paste (Pritt Multi Tack, Blu-Tack etc.), but gained practically nothing from it. This time I added a thin layer of self adhesive paste on the rim of the baffle which is in contact with the cup. This seals and almost glues the baffle to the cup. Now the mechanical noise in the headphone is clearly dampened (not entirely gone, but much better).

True that,

I bored all three holes and the clarity was gone.

I am down at two open now. So I will try one. The pad changing goes faster the more you do haha.

Which Hm5 pads do you mean? Curved ones? Or just Aliexpress Pleather??

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #132 of 254
True that,

I bored all three holes and the clarity was gone.

I am down at two open now. So I will try one. The pad changing goes faster the more you do haha.

Which Hm5 pads do you mean? Curved ones? Or just Aliexpress Pleather??
Since I had the standard HM5 pleather pads in the drawer, that's what I put on. If I was to buy, I would go for the angled pleather version. There is also a real leather version, but that's too expensive for a relatively cheap headphone like this IMO.

I am also considering closing one more hole just to see what happens, but most likely I will prefer the more than neutral amount of bass that I have now, so I didn't do it yet. But will do.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #133 of 254
Do you think that these differently colored versions of N350 are legit? Ive found some white, brown and chestnut-brown-colored models from Aliexpress;

Headphones-MSUR-N350-New-Headset-Subwoofer-Noise-Isolating-HiFi-Wooden-Metal-Microphone-Headphone-Earphone-with-Box.jpg_640x640.jpg

Headphones-MSUR-N350-New-Headset-Subwoofer-Noise-Isolating-HiFi-Wooden-Metal-Microphone-Headphone-Earphone-with-Box.jpg_640x640.jpg

Link to the seller; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hea...a260576&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

They dont offer them with original packages which is a bit suspicious.

EDIT: Company called Destiny Audio is selling them on their website so i guess that they are not copies? https://destiny-audio.com/products/msur-n350-headphones?variant=7053647773731

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #134 of 254
hey guys, new to this thread, need some help,planning to buy some msur, but I dont know which unit of msur is better than the other. which is better in your opinion?

also,I already have bosshifi b8, will the msur be on par or an upgrade?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #135 of 254
also,I already have bosshifi b8, will the msur be on par or an upgrade
Sidegrade or downgrade propably. N550=B6. And supposedly B8 is better than B6. N550 is very similar to n650 so that is propably not a upgrade either. If you still want to buy Msur then maybe get n350 because it is More portable than b8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back