MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,051 of 2,843
mmm......love and appreciate  the review as well. Hoping to snag The Ether here in Southeast Asia. Dealer promised 1-2 weeks more waiting time. I wish Mr. Speakers becomes as  available as Hifiman, specially here in Manila, PH.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,054 of 2,843
Outstanding review: informative and concise. It is a plus for me to read a review from someone with impressively close listening tastes to mine. Accoustic guitar and piano with Jim Hall and Bill Evans washes away a day of work stress. Listening to Cassandra Wilson, Patricia Barber and Diana Krall make life a joy.
I am now looking forward more than ever to the delivery of my Ethers.
Thanks again.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,055 of 2,843
I have the HE1000 in-house right now and I have to say sonically it's a damned impressive headphone. I've enjoyed all of the listening I've done with them. The ETHER is also an excellent headphone, one of the best I've ever heard. Both HIFIMAN and MrSpeakers have designed absolutely incredible products which will appeal to different tastes. I can't say the ETHER will upset the HE1000 simply because they take different approaches to music reproduction.

That said, the HE1000 will be returned at the end of the beta period next week and I have just ordered an ETHER.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,056 of 2,843
  I have the HE1000 in-house right now and I have to say sonically it's a damned impressive headphone. I've enjoyed all of the listening I've done with them. The ETHER is also an excellent headphone, one of the best I've ever heard. Both HIFIMAN and MrSpeakers have designed absolutely incredible products which will appeal to different tastes. I can't say the ETHER will upset the HE1000 simply because they take different approaches to music reproduction.

That said, the HE1000 will be returned at the end of the beta period next week and I have just ordered an ETHER.

If u don't mind we need to know what different approaches u r talking about. 
Unlucky people (like me), who can't demo headphones 
frown.gif
 need more explanations. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,057 of 2,843

frown.gif
 need more explanations. 

beerchug.gif

popcorn.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,058 of 2,843
frown.gif
 need more explanations. 

This is, of course, simply my view as an outsider.

The way I see it, Dan and his team have worked to take everything they've learned over the years and put that into an original design based on their collective knowledge of the existing tech and ways to improve it. Dr Fang is embarking into new territory with nanomaterials in headphones, something which I do not believe has been done before. In essence I see the ETHER as a headphone that's showcasing the culmination of conventional planar magnetic design and the HE1000 is a successful venture in a new direction using the same base concept with new materials.

The different approaches have brought about two incredible products and each has a unique sound signature. The ETHER ends up a bit more intimate than the HE1000 in its overall presentation. As for sound characteristics, the way I saw it the ETHER was a cross between the HD800 and the LCD-3 (dynamic/planar) where as the HE1000 is a mix of SR-007 and LCD-3 (electrostat/planar). Both are incredible but many people may end up preferring one to the other. Warren mentioned in his review that he felt the ETHER was a even split of the HD800 and LCD-X. While I haven't spent much time with the LCD-X I trust Warren's ears so his comparison is probably more accurate than mine.

One thing to note about HE1000 vs ETHER, it's incredibly easy to get a feel for Dan's newest headphone in a meet environment compared to the HE1000. I had to listen a total of three different times at two shows in order to get a quiet enough room to get an actual feel of the HE1000. The driver is so thin it provides practically zero isolation from outside sounds. The ETHER was an open headphone that I could simply pop on my head and enjoy without straining to ignore those around me.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #1,061 of 2,843
The available comparative feedback between the HE1000 and Ether seems fairly consistent that both headphones sit at a similar performance level - so for me the question is - is there anything that the HE1000 does so much better than the Ether that it could justify the extra $1500 bucks?

Not attacking the HE1000 - just curious about the price to performance comparison.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #1,063 of 2,843
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back