MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,006 of 2,843
Not a problem. If there any specific questions, feel free to hit me with them...
Please help and give us a fix of some impressions. We live vicariously thru you and others like you lucky enough to be able to spend some quality time with the Ether, until at least a few more weeks.

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,007 of 2,843
  That lower treble peak. It's like they took the DT880 and turned it into a planar magnetic. The HE-560 outshines the DT880 in every way possible but then they had to throw in the DT880 treble peak to ruin the entire package. I own a DT880 so I am very familiar with this treble peak. I think the HE-560 might be more linear in the mids than my Alpha Dogs, but I prefer the overall tone of the AD cause it is non-fatiguing and sounds more natural than the (unmodified) HE-560.

Once i threw the Theta into the mix, the peak became practically non-existent 
wink.gif

Enjoying my setup more than ever now, thanks to the R2R magic 
gs1000.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,008 of 2,843
Please help and give us a fix of some impressions. We live vicariously thru you and others like you lucky enough to be able to spend some quality time with the Ether, until at least a few more weeks.

Sure. I'm trying to get all my thoughts and impressions down into quick mini review so that others can get an idea of the performance level. But here is a brief comment:

I've bought, sold, traded and sometimes re-purchased the same headphone. The hd650 I've managed to keep around for primarily one reason...I love the mids. The mids on the hd650 are tonally accurate and very natural and they keep me coming back over and over for the vocal centric music that I often listen to. 

That being said, the mids on the Ether are, quite honestly, way better. The tonality and ability to reproduce in great detail the specific resonant quality of a singers voice is amazing with the Ether. Jaw dropping mids...

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,009 of 2,843

Sure. I'm trying to get all my thoughts and impressions down into quick mini review so that others can get an idea of the performance level. But here is a brief comment:

I've bought, sold, traded and sometimes re-purchased the same headphone. The hd650 I've managed to keep around for primarily one reason...I love the mids. The mids on the hd650 are tonally accurate and very natural and they keep me coming back over and over for the vocal centric music that I often listen to. 

That being said, the mids on the Ether are, quite honestly, way better. The tonality and ability to reproduce in great detail the specific resonant quality of a singers voice is amazing with the Ether. Jaw dropping mids...

May I ask you to compare the Ether to LCD3F?

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,012 of 2,843

ok, what about the LCD2 and Ether?

Is the Ether musical as LCD?

Ether is as musical and engaging as any headphone that I've owned. Lcd-2 both pre and post fazor will have a "thicker" presentation. Treble will be softer and bass will be somewhat elevated. Ether is more accurate across the signature. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,013 of 2,843
  I can't spoil it or else Frank I will be mad at me, but Part II of my ETHER review (the part that deals with sound quality, with a comparison to the LCD-X) comes out tomorrow at Headphone.Guru.  To my knowledge, it's the only one that reflects nearly two months of daily listening in a quiet environment on a known rig (mine).  I hope it will help clear some things up.  
smile.gif

I know I'm anxiously waiting for it. It'll have to hold me over until my own personal ETHER arrives.

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,014 of 2,843
  I can't spoil it or else Frank I will be mad at me, but Part II of my ETHER review (the part that deals with sound quality, with a comparison to the LCD-X) comes out tomorrow at Headphone.Guru.  To my knowledge, it's the only one that reflects nearly two months of daily listening in a quiet environment on a known rig (mine).  I hope it will help clear some things up.  
smile.gif

very much looking forward to your review Warren. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,019 of 2,843
  I've had more pure fun listening to music this weekend with the Ether than I've had in a very very long time. 

Like them more than the HE-1000? 

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,020 of 2,843

Like them more than the HE-1000? 

Funny you should ask because I've been listening to them both all weekend. They are both impressive in their own right. But at the end of the day when it just comes down to enjoying music, the Ether puts that smile on my face and makes my foot tap more than anything else. But please don't tell anyone...shhhhhhhh. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back