MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Sep 2, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,921 of 5,796

My future office has a few cubicles, but thankfully those who work in the building love music. It'll be nice to be able to listen to open headphones again for a change.

LOL I think your work environment will not represent most people's here :wink: 

I am lucky enough to have a good 10 feet between me and my nearest office mate (when I work in the office, which is only half the week)... To top that off I work near a datacenter so there is always background white noise.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #1,922 of 5,796
I fortunately have a door at work, but I also have a small city condo with my fiancée . The fiancée has requested the closed back model. Haha

ouch.. Well I guess I am lucky enough to have a house with an office in it.. But to some degree I can understand.. If it wasnt for my wife I would be walking the 2 speaker route rather than headphones.. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,923 of 5,796
I fortunately have a door at work, but I also have a small city condo with my fiancée . The fiancée has requested the closed back model. Haha

So what I'm hearing is that you're going to order both? It's far more convenient to simply keep one at the office. :wink:

LOL I think your work environment will not represent most people's here :wink: 

I am lucky enough to have a good 10 feet between me and my nearest office mate (when I work in the office, which is only half the week)... To top that off I work near a datacenter so there is always background white noise.

Lucky. I wish I had a 10' space between my desk and my neighbors. We're all right on top of one another at the current office and I can hear one neighbor's IEMs clear as day when she's working. My M-80 have been my solace at the office since I'm an open Ether guy. Plus I don't trust most of my current co-workers around any of my nicer gear so the Ether won't be coming into the office for now.

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,924 of 5,796
ouch.. Well I guess I am lucky enough to have a house with an office in it.. But to some degree I can understand.. If it wasnt for my wife I would be walking the 2 speaker route rather than headphones.. 

The C's sound like I might prefer them more in either case. May be working out for the best.

Still less-than-patiently waiting for them to ship via Razordog, but per Peter, vendor orders won't go out until mid-September :rolleyes:

So what I'm hearing is that you're going to order both? It's far more convenient to simply keep one at the office. :wink:

If only. Fiancée might turn into former fiancée if I attempted that move!

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,925 of 5,796
If only. Fiancée might turn into former fiancée if I attempted that move

Well I have been in the audio game for some time. What can I say, it’s an addiction. Started out in 2 speakers... I did lose a Fiancee (in large part) to that in my 20's lol.. Probably for the best though. My wife now is very understanding and open to my hobby/issues, so long as it does not affect other finances (which is doesn’t) 

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,929 of 5,796
Just out of curiosity, how much sound leakage do you experience with them? I know that can differ between different makes/models of open back headphones.

Hard to quantify. The Utopia is like there is NOTHING between you and the outside. The LCD-2 is like there is a bedding sheet (pretty much nothing). The ETHER Flow is like there is a heavy quilt between my ears and the outside. Looking at the foam and pad in the ear side of the cup I'm not that surprised. I'm curious what damping is on the other side of the diaphragm.

Leakage... There is plenty of leakage to everyone else. Keep your fiancé happy if sound leakage is a concern.

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,930 of 5,796
From what I have read on hear (which isn't much), the main difference between the Ether C 1.1 and Ether C Flow is that the Ether C Flow has the missing mid bass of the Ether C 1.1 but loses some of the high frequency sparkle. Is there any other notable difference between the two?

Edit: I ask as there is no possible way for me to demo the two and compare them.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,931 of 5,796
Anyone order Flows recently and receive them? I ordered last week

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,932 of 5,796
If yours hasn't shipped yet you should email them to ask where they are in fulfillment. Based on when I and others have received theirs I don't believe any delays on shipping are due to stock and that it may just be held up as they package orders in chronological order.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,933 of 5,796
  Anyone order Flows recently and receive them? I ordered last week

I ordered July 21st and received them 2 days ago.  They're worth the wait!

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,934 of 5,796
More Ether C Flow impressions (NAS FLAC>Ethernet>microRendu+Teddy Pardo LPS>Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>DUM SE>C Flow): listening to a new live recording of Bartók's "The Miraculous Mandarin," Philarmonia Orchestra conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, 44.1/24 download from HDtracks. For those who are not familiar with it, this is a very expressive, dark, impressionistic piece with great dynamic range and complex orchestration, with extensive use of the lower registers in strings and percussion, brilliant, unsettling brass, massed strings, percussion rolling in from the back like ominous thunder. What I'm hearing is so vivid that it's bringing me back with shivers to the evening many decades ago when I first heard this piece and fell in love with Bartók's music as a kid, at a long-gone Lisbon concert hall. I'm so impressed with how well the C Flows perform across the full frequency and amplitude range, from the single-instrument pianissimo to a full orchestra fortissimo, never muddling the different instruments. Soundstage is not huge, but everything is in its right place. The recording of course helps, it's got very good reviews. Bravo!

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,935 of 5,796
More Ether C Flow impressions (NAS FLAC>Ethernet>microRendu+Teddy Pardo LPS>Bifrost Multibit>Asgard 2>DUM SE>C Flow): listening to a new live recording of Bartók's "The Miraculous Mandarin," Philarmonia Orchestra conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, 44.1/24 download from HDtracks. For those who are not familiar with it, this is a very expressive, dark, impressionistic piece with great dynamic range and complex orchestration, with extensive use of the lower registers in strings and percussion, brilliant, unsettling brass, massed strings, percussion rolling in from the back like ominous thunder. What I'm hearing is so vivid that it's bringing me back with shivers to the evening many decades ago when I first heard this piece and fell in love with Bartók's music as a kid, at a long-gone Lisbon concert hall. I'm so impressed with how well the C Flows perform across the full frequency and amplitude range, from the single-instrument pianissimo to a full orchestra fortissimo, never muddling the different instruments. Soundstage is not huge, but everything is in its right place. The recording of course helps, it's got very good reviews. Bravo!

+30 points for talking up the Miraculous Mandarin. Glad the C Flows depict it well. I hope to get the C upgrade sometime soon to hear for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back