MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Mar 27, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #4,172 of 5,796
  I am really torn between the C Flow and the open version. Does anyone have comparison between these and something like hifiman HE-500?

Also, how do these headphones pair with the Jotunheim?

C Flows pair beautifully with the Jot. For what I listen to (lots of modern jazz, funk, world, some classical), I prefer that pairing to Liquid Carbon>C Flow. Just listening to a hard-driving electric guitar/drums/piano/electric bass track ("Box in a Box" from Miles Okazaki's new "Trickster" album), the bass side is tight and punchy, the guitar and piano drive, the highs show the cymbals very crisply. 44.1/16 FLAC through Schiit Bifrost Multibit to Jot. I don't know what the Jot add-on DAC does.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,173 of 5,796
  C Flows pair beautifully with the Jot. For what I listen to (lots of modern jazz, funk, world, some classical), I prefer that pairing to Liquid Carbon>C Flow. Just listening to a hard-driving electric guitar/drums/piano/electric bass track ("Box in a Box" from Miles Okazaki's new "Trickster" album), the bass side is tight and punchy, the guitar and piano drive, the highs show the cymbals very crisply. 44.1/16 FLAC through Schiit Bifrost Multibit to Jot. I don't know what the Jot add-on DAC does.

That is good to hear. I am leaning more towards the C Flows at this point. There is something I find really attractive about a great sounding closed headphone. Which, from what I understand, is not very common.

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #4,174 of 5,796
I have a Jot and sometimes listen to ETHER Flow with it and it sounds pretty good. But the sound certainly improves on a tube amp. It's something with that the richness that tubes bring to the table that really bring out the best in the Flow for me. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #4,175 of 5,796
  I have a Jot and sometimes listen to ETHER Flow with it and it sounds pretty good. But the sound certainly improves on a tube amp. It's something with that the richness that tubes bring to the table that really bring out the best in the Flow for me. 

I use a tube DAC and a SS amp, and that pairing works very well for me.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #4,178 of 5,796
  With the E-pads where should the seam point to in relation to the hole in the top of the cup?

Middle front, just about even with the silver rivet. This way they angle back to front. 

My seam is just below the front gimble rivet.  It's going to depend on your headband placement, as I'm guessing everyone wears theirs slightly differently on their heads.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #4,180 of 5,796
Are you talking about the Kenzie?

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #4,183 of 5,796
Yes, but others tube amps also. I just like the sweetness in the tone on this headphone with tubes. 
I love my EtherC's from the Kenzie and have yet to hear a burned in pair of Ether Flow's open or closed I love my C's but at the Chicago the meet the C Flows were underwhelming the Open Flows were my pick. Going to CanJam in a few days and definitely going to upgrade my Ethers but don't know if it will be open or closed. I love my Kenzie it just rocks

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #4,184 of 5,796
I love my EtherC's from the Kenzie and have yet to hear a burned in pair of Ether Flow's open or closed I love my C's but at the Chicago the meet the C Flows were underwhelming the Open Flows were my pick. Going to CanJam in a few days and definitely going to upgrade my Ethers but don't know if it will be open or closed. I love my Kenzie it just rocks

I know this has come up many times re: ECF at the Chicago meet, but weren't those "defective" insofar as they didn't have the proper dampening material? If memory serves me, it's hardly surprising that they were underwhelming.

My ECF's are fantastic and couldn't recommend them enough.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #4,185 of 5,796
  I am really torn between the C Flow and the open version. Does anyone have comparison between these and something like hifiman HE-500?

Also, how do these headphones pair with the Jotunheim?

I have a pair of C flows, I'm the 2nd owner. They sound very good for a closed headphone with incredible speed and linearity. Perhaps bordering on boring... except that no other headphones closed really hit sub-bass through mids to highs without experiencing a fault or a dip somewhere like these do. I was impressed with the technical level of these headphones initially but became more attached to them as they began to burn in longer. Currently only at 100 hours (I received them at low hours, they still smell like fresh leather).
They do sound pretty amazing out of tubes, but sadly my best tubes are all burned out/microphonic. I'm running them through a lyr 2 LIIST at this moment. Sounds very, very good.
My only complaint is that while I wouldn't say I have big ears, my ears stand out a bit and sadly my left ear begins to hurt pretty bad after an hour or two wearing these phones. My right ear is slightly more padded and I don't get any discomfort at all there. Hopefully this won't be the case with the electrostat pads I ordered to try on them. I need to stuff something under the backside of the left ear though, lol (to be fair the pads have like a 2mm difference in width, maybe and that small amount just happened to be close enough to my ear).
Honestly I don't really need the isolation and the reason I went for closed was mostly for novelty (and owning a large number of open cans and little to no closed ones). I find the isolation good, but in hindsight I'd probably go for the open because sub-bass can fatigue my ears. Probably why I'll be running tubes that emphasize mids over bass/treble (most of them, ;D) soon. RIP my beloved amperex tubes.
I can't compare them to he-500 as I honestly haven't heard that pair. I can compare them to 400i though and a slew of dynamics if you want.
The ether c flow though is definitely a top-tier contender for best closed headphone, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back