MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Sep 7, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #406 of 4,813
Must resist urge to buy. Damn. Mid October. If I wait, then how long will the back order be......dang it.

That's why I ordered now instead of waiting, hopefully I will be in one of the first shipments. Wait until mid-October to order and perhaps you'll be taking delivery in late November...

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #408 of 4,813
Holy schitt, those headphones are beautiful. Like a pair of AKG's and Fostex's had a baby.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #410 of 4,813
  How portable are they working in tandem with a DAP?

Moedawg140 wrote about the ETHER C with the QP1R in his massive collection review. Seems like a great combo from his impressions, but I haven't heard the two together yet.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #412 of 4,813

How portable are they working in tandem with a DAP?

Moedawg140 wrote about the ETHER C with the QP1R in his massive collection review. Seems like a great combo from his impressions, but I haven't heard the two together yet.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings

Agreed.  I listened to the Ether C through the QP1R at some length at London Canjam and it was a fantastic combination. Those two plus a Noble Savant is now on my "ideal portable" list for the future.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #413 of 4,813

Thanks. I'm clearly interested in both ETHER C and Questyle QP1R even though they are out of my budget at the moment. It's really hard to find endgame headphones that would be great and balanced sounding, easy to drive and comfortable. Unfortunately neither my Ultrasone Signature Pro, nor Beyer T5p qualify for this status.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #414 of 4,813

Thanks. I'm clearly interested in both ETHER C and Questyle QP1R even though they are out of my budget at the moment. It's really hard to find endgame headphones that would be great and balanced sounding, easy to drive and comfortable. Unfortunately neither my Ultrasone Signature Pro, nor Beyer T5p qualify for this status.

In terms of DAP's, I'm happy with my Fiio X3ii for now, and just going to wait for the Fiio X7 to be released in terms of getting a more premium-featured DAP.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #416 of 4,813

If you're on a budget, the Questyle QP1 is no slouch and comes in $300 less than the QP1R. I use my Ether with the QP1R, and while I haven't tried the production version of the QP1 yet, the pre-production version did a great job driving planars back in March. I know there's been a lot of talk lately about the QP1R, but don't forget that the baby brother is also quite impressive.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #417 of 4,813
Brian, congrats on the gig at headphone.guru and nice review of the Bacillus Tilia! 

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #419 of 4,813
I tried the Ether C's at the schiit show...  They sound amazing but I still think the alpha dogs have better bass.  They're actually pretty close in sound signature for me.  

I hope you are wrong. I really find that the alpha dogs just don't do it for me. Loved mad dog and alpha prime though.
I do have the Ether though and that is miles ahead of the alpha dog. Not even in the same ballpark. Based on this i trust the ether c will be excellent.

That's awesome to hear! I still would buy the Ether C's even if they are similar to the Alpha Dogs because I love the carbon cups and I want to support Dan's new driver that he manufactures himself.

Alpha Dogs will always be critically underestimated. I heard them next to a pair of Stax SR-009 and while the Stax are better, they aren't significantly so.

The unmodified HE-560 I heard was simply unlistenable.. wayy to emphasized and sibilant for my tastes.

I heard a modified HE-560 from Bill-P that I really enjoyed so I think it has more potential but I'd rather have Dan's quality than Hifiman's.

Again i respectfully disagree about the alpha dogs. Personal opinion. I owned the he560 and it sounded fantastic out if the pulse xfi. Ether is easily better though so i sold the he560.

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #420 of 4,813
To each their own. I am surprised you enjoy the Alpha Primes but not the Dogs. Same cups, different driver tweaking. Some people liked the AD but not the AP.

I hope to get an Ether or Ether C someday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back