MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Jul 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #4,501 of 4,813
Anyone else notice that they listen to their Ether Cs at a lot lower level than other headphones.  I previously had a ZMF Master and Lyr 2 setup and would be really cranking it.   I noticed listening through my Ether Cs that I have really lowered the volume level I listen at.  The colors on the Mojo provide an easy way to memorize where you are at.  I'm guessing its the clarity of the Ethers compared to other headphones I had, just found it interesting.  

A little shot of my setup:

Jul 22, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #4,502 of 4,813
   Sorry for this part....I may still like the stock ear pad... it is possible that the ZMF pads might be muddying the bass a bit. I will need more time to make a clearer decision for now, I am enjoying the extra oomph. I like having all these sonic options with the C.

By the way, the timing of this post is a coincidence with current discussion but not related (or not spurred on by).

I can hear what you're talking about, but for me it's more lowering the tone of the bass more than muddying up, the bass on the stock pads can be heard easier, while the bass detail on the zmf pads is till there, it has to compete with the increased subbass leading to a bass response that is felt more than heard. 

Quote:
  Verdict: I'm using a Sager Laptop with Soundblaster X-fi 5 --> optical out to a mojo using two different cords to eliminate a bad cord. I have the alpha pads on and listening to Bassnectar. The bass is laughable. I'm going to get banned from this site for my opinions but it's just bad. Painfully loud mid and highs to get decent lows... or I get to sit and tweak and adjust. I want to hear the raw audio from the artist/producer not manipulate it to get the lows. Honestly, I perceive the hype and the fact that people spent 1500.00 on these cans creates the cognitive dissonance that these headphones sound acceptable. It's a lot of hype in my very humble opinion. Snake oil. I haven't paid a single red cent to this site so I suspect in short order those that have will silence me.

I actually agree with you. On stock, even on 1.1,the highs are fine, but messing with eq I found out it was the mids that were sharp. It was to the point where solo piano recordings are unbearable to listen,  I was almost about to sell it, but browsing a certain site, a user there mentioned using tissue paper to reduce the sharpness. And while it took a long time for me to get it right, it fixes the sharpness, and IMO even further improves, clarity detail, speed and imaging. 

Basically I removed the white felt (which IMO is not very good a maintaining clarity), kept the 1.1 foam added 2 sheets of tp behind the foam, with 2 sheets of tp behind the pads, all 4 sheets with a hole cut out of them. 

Basically outside of teensy tiny bit of sibilance, I'm pretty much happy with the sound modded, prefer it over to anything under 2000 dollars.

Jul 23, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #4,503 of 4,813
I just wanted to announce that I'm currently jamming out to "Rogue Bagel" by Ott on the Ether C Flow and it's awesome.  

I very specifically remember that this was the song I was listening to when I first had a chance to listen to the Ether C on my rig (the night of the Schiit Show when it was announced) and I realized how much I loved the headphone.  I was trying to write up some impressions and I couldn't focus on the writing because the music kept pulling me away and urging me to dance.

The Flow is as good as the 1.1 was with EDM.  But what's really impressive is how it sounds even better with other genres now.  Anyone grab that free track from HDTracks?  "Traveler" by Melissa Menago... it sounds awesome on the Flow and I suspect it wouldn't quite have the same effect on the 1.1.  Her voice is powerful yet delicate.  Tiny details abound like they always have but they're not the star anymore. 

Anyways, just a random post to say how much I'm enjoying the Ether C Flow.  Sometimes I forget to just enjoy the music and that's what this hobby is supposed to be about.  I hope everyone is jamming out to their favorite tunes this fine Friday evening and enjoying the hell out of it!  
atsmile.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #4,504 of 4,813
Nice. How abt some photos of what the new cups look like?
I just wanted to announce that I'm currently jamming out to "Rogue Bagel" by Ott on the Ether C Flow and it's awesome.  

I very specifically remember that this was the song I was listening to when I first had a chance to listen to the Ether C on my rig (the night of the Schiit Show when it was announced) and I realized how much I loved the headphone.  I was trying to write up some impressions and I couldn't focus on the writing because the music kept pulling me away and urging me to dance.

The Flow is as good as the 1.1 was with EDM.  But what's really impressive is how it sounds even better with other genres now.  Anyone grab that free track from HDTracks?  "Traveler" by Melissa Menago... it sounds awesome on the Flow and I suspect it wouldn't quite have the same effect on the 1.1.  Her voice is powerful yet delicate.  Tiny details abound like they always have but they're not the star anymore. 

Anyways, just a random post to say how much I'm enjoying the Ether C Flow.  Sometimes I forget to just enjoy the music and that's what this hobby is supposed to be about.  I hope everyone is jamming out to their favorite tunes this fine Friday evening and enjoying the hell out of it!  :atsmile:   

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #4,505 of 4,813
Nice. How abt some photos of what the new cups look like?

Sorry, I've got a review unit that's still in the old cups.  I'm not sure when the new cups are going to be ready.  Perhaps in time for the Source event next weekend?

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #4,506 of 4,813
I see =) I remember seeing on the official website that the new photos will be posted before 24th of July. Can't wait to see what they look like !
Sorry, I've got a review unit that's still in the old cups.  I'm not sure when the new cups are going to be ready.  Perhaps in time for the Source event next weekend?

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #4,507 of 4,813
Do you like the highs on the flow? Is it noticeably more suppressed compared to the non flow version?

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #4,508 of 4,813
Do you like the highs on the flow? Is it noticeably more suppressed compared to the non flow version?

I love the highs on the Flow.  They don't sound like they have less volume, but they're smoother...easier to listen to.  I find that I prefer one black pad on the 1.1 to tame some peakiness, but the Flow doesn't need it.

Jul 23, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #4,509 of 4,813

I love the highs on the Flow.  They don't sound like they have less volume, but they're smoother...easier to listen to.  I find that I prefer one black pad on the 1.1 to tame some peakiness, but the Flow doesn't need it.

Great. Thanks for the impression. I am considering upgrade if the cost is reasonable

Jul 23, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #4,510 of 4,813

Anyways, just a random post to say how much I'm enjoying the Ether C Flow.  Sometimes I forget to just enjoy the music and that's what this hobby is supposed to be about.  I hope everyone is jamming out to their favorite tunes this fine Friday evening and enjoying the hell out of it!  
atsmile.gif

Is the soundstage noticeably wider on the C Flow vs 1.1?

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #4,512 of 4,813

I actually agree with you. On stock, even on 1.1,the highs are fine, but messing with eq I found out it was the mids that were sharp. It was to the point where solo piano recordings are unbearable to listen,  I was almost about to sell it, but browsing a certain site, a user there mentioned using tissue paper to reduce the sharpness. And while it took a long time for me to get it right, it fixes the sharpness, and IMO even further improves, clarity detail, speed and imaging. 

Basically I removed the white felt (which IMO is not very good a maintaining clarity), kept the 1.1 foam added 2 sheets of tp behind the foam, with 2 sheets of tp behind the pads, all 4 sheets with a hole cut out of them. 

Basically outside of teensy tiny bit of sibilance, I'm pretty much happy with the sound modded, prefer it over to anything under 2000 dollars.

Thank you, CS098! I tried this out and most of the brightness in the upper mids is gone. Even slightly clearer treble.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #4,513 of 4,813

Does the flow version use the same tuning pad as the 1.1 or could it be that is responsible for the difference?

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #4,514 of 4,813
I also picked up a pair of ZMF cowhide pads, just got them this morning..  The were a little difficult to install but I was able to do it, nonetheless. The bass is definitely elevated and has really good slam now.. not sure about the treble though.. Seems peaky now, also the mids feel more scooped out. IDK I had to run in the office and didn’t get to spend much time with them.. Have a feeling I am still going to like the original pads + on felt insert more, will spent more time with them first before I decide though. 

Jul 23, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #4,515 of 4,813
So I do like the extra bass maybe its a little to much not sure. Thinking about trying out the Lawton Pads, I remember when using these on some HE-6's they seemed pretty tighly padded which should result in a better bass response... They are friggin expensive though. http://www.lawtonaudio.com/hifimananglepads.html
Looking at the size.. they should fit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back