MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Dec 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #1,683 of 4,813
  I figured the distributor order was already in place.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will be here by the 24th...

We are working like crazy to get headphones out for that and I will be expediting orders that are on the cusp.  If you need a headphone to arrive by the holiday PM me.  Obviously if everyone does we'll just do our best, but if only a few are gifts we'll try...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 15, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,684 of 4,813
  Hi Dan,

Have you shipped any of the Ether-C's to any Canadian retailers?

A large order shipped to our Canadian distributor yesterday.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,685 of 4,813
A large order shipped to our Canadian distributor yesterday.

It would be good to get in touch with a retailer like HeadphoneBar so Canadians (on the West coast at least) can demo your outstanding products! Travis is a great guy to deal with. :wink:

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,686 of 4,813
It would be good to get in touch with a retailer like HeadphoneBar so Canadians (on the West coast at least) can demo your outstanding products! Travis is a great guy to deal with.
wink.gif

Yes, Travis is already a reseller.  https://mrspeakers.com/where-to-buy/

I think some of these are heading his way...

EDIT:  Anyone living near mountains with extreme skiing potential pretty much anywhere in North America will probably get my participation at a meet, large or small, during ski season.  You listening Toronto or Kicking Horse peeps?  

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,687 of 4,813
Dec 15, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #1,688 of 4,813

Off the subject guys...any impressions of the Ether C with the ifi iDSD Micro? Thanks.

Yes, I got to listen to that pairing and it certainly is very very good.  Was a noticably large improvement over the Ether C's driven straight from my Fiio X3 2nd Gen, which is saying something because the Ether C's are not hard to drive and the X3ii has plenty of power (200mW into 32 ohms).  But the Ether C sounded more "musical" to me from the iDSD Micro, like the tone became a bit less "clinical" and smoother but without sacrificing detail.  I don't actually OWN either piece of equipment so that's all the impression I can really give you, but hopefully someone else on here owns both and could give you more details.

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,689 of 4,813
  Ok, I modded my Ether C's. I started out determined to get more bass in my cans-I'm a DJ and when mixing sometimes it's a job requirement. So I removed the ear pads and found this: 

2 white pads over the drivers, somewhat similar to the ones in the tuning kit. So just for craps & giggles, I removed them.........it was beautiful:

Omg, why cover up beauty like this Dan? I gasped when I saw it!

Anyway, before I submitted it to the screwdriver, I decided to put the ear pads back on and have a listen. WOW! Vocals were a LOT more intimate, and the clarity, if you can believe it, got even better, and without the expected accompanying added sibilance/stridence. This was end game clarity and imagery for me; my HD800 didn't even go this far. I wouldn't say the soundstage was as big as the 800 but the details were at the very least equivalent. There was also a slight bump in the weight of the bass, which was what I wanted. Not a big bump, but certainly noticeable. It even seemed louder at the same volume. Even after that, I still had to try ONE MORE THING........

I had 2 extra sets of Alpha Pads, so I put them on with the hopes of increasing the bass even more.......it worked! But at the cost of clarity and detail. I *think* it may have been even less clarity than the original setup, but I'm not positive about that. Still sounds great and may give you an Alpha Dog/Prime flashback; it you compare it with any other headphone you'll be pleased, however if you compare it with itself and my previous mod you *may* be disappointed. 

As I listen now I think just removing the white pads will give me what I want; I'm starting to "feel" the bass more now instead of just hearing it. 

Seems like you managed to really get the sound you were looking for out of these by turning the bass less lean and more visceral!  Very nice.

So no longer finding any issues with sub-bass sounding near-inaudible on some tracks, bro?  The bass has good punch and body to it?  Because if so, it seems to me like from what you're saying, the Ether C's with the white pads removed could end up being my true endgame all-rounder headphones someday!!!!!

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,690 of 4,813
  Yes, I got to listen to that pairing and it certainly is very very good.  Was a noticably large improvement over the Ether C's driven straight from my Fiio X3 2nd Gen, which is saying something because the Ether C's are not hard to drive and the X3ii has plenty of power (200mW into 32 ohms).  But the Ether C sounded more "musical" to me from the iDSD Micro, like the tone became a bit less "clinical" and smoother but without sacrificing detail.  I don't actually OWN either piece of equipment so that's all the impression I can really give you, but hopefully someone else on here owns both and could give you more details.

Haven't received my Cs yet but I'm considering the iDSD for the versatility. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,691 of 4,813
  Seems like you managed to really get the sound you were looking for out of these by turning the bass less lean and more visceral!  Very nice.

So no longer finding any issues with sub-bass sounding near-inaudible on some tracks, bro?  The bass has good punch and body to it?  Because if so, it seems to me like from what you're saying, the Ether C's with the white pads removed could end up being my true endgame all-rounder headphones someday!!!!!

As I sit in the studio now listening to them, it definitely has "body", of course a lot of Head Fiers won't like that, so it's a personal preference thing. The mod is super easy and reversible; you just take off the ear pads and remove the white things.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,692 of 4,813

Bro I'm there with you too q.q I'm 

an honestly the Mad Dog was what got me into Planars, I never forgot that bass! Still I'm curious to hear how these sound 

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,693 of 4,813
Listening to the ETHER C with the freshly minted Liquid Carbon and I can vouch for the pairing, even in this early stage (about 3 hours listening).

Bliss! :D

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #1,694 of 4,813
Curious.... Dan why are the white filters included in the stock version? I would love to get your take on the sound differences and what was behind the decision to include them in the first place.

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,695 of 4,813
Just took the white kit off of mines. Its definitely more detail and rich...even shines a bit. I need to do more tests, im still not sure if i like this more or the factory pads. Im afraid with all this detail, i might get some listening fatigue vs the soft sounding pads; i went straight all day at work without feeling any fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back