MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Oct 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #2,881 of 9,071
younglee200
 I agree mostly what you said. I must have miss the headphone from Finals Audios and I only know one I know is the MURAMASA at $8k. While Dan is very pleasant, he is not the only one.
Dan,
Have Alex bought your headphones yet?

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,882 of 9,071
  Can't wait till there's a meet in Seattle...

I'll let you know when they're in house dorm! 
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #2,883 of 9,071
i live in canada,
my pair has just left U.S. and on it's way to canada.

i have been living  in Canada for 18 years and this is the first thanksgiving day  that i dislike, as Canada Post will not be working tomorrow, i will have to wait one extra painful day before i will recieive my AD.

i cant wait to compare it to my T1 and Hd800

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #2,884 of 9,071
  i live in canada,
my pair has just left U.S. and on it's way to canada.

i have been living  in Canada for 18 years and this is the first thanksgiving day  that i dislike, as Canada Post will not be working tomorrow, i will have to wait one extra painful day before i will recieive my AD.

i cant wait to compare it to my T1 and Hd800

Yep, I hear you my brother Canuck, it's a long wait over here in Winnipeg too. On the plus side, we can kill time waiting by arguing about hockey. Tonight the mighty Wpg Jets slaughtered the New Jersey Devils 3-0. I'm looking forward to seeing my Jets destroy your Calgary Flames and predict a 9-0 Flames defeat when our teams finally clash. Also on the plus side, if you happen to have your AD's by then you can sit back and listen to the fat lady sing as the game ends in clear concise audiophile clarity. Meanwhile, I'll be chilling like a villain and doing air guitar while listening to Don Cherry make fun of Alberta.
biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif
gs1000.gif
cool.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #2,885 of 9,071
  younglee200
 I agree mostly what you said. I must have miss the headphone from Finals Audios and I only know one I know is the MURAMASA at $8k. While Dan is very pleasant, he is not the only one.
Dan,
Have Alex bought your headphones yet?

The headphone was not from the Muramasa line, and when I asked them for the pricing the lady put it at 600.  I have their catalog somewhere so I'll try to find it.

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,887 of 9,071
While I totally understand what Dan is saying, there are just some people who prefer the bloom, and less accurate bass. Yes, people do like coloration over accuracy at times.

The person in question, from all he has said, sounds like he'd prefer the colored bass over accurate bass.

Hell, I understand him. I prefer the colored Denon D7000 bass over everything else I've ever owned or tried. So, while he may be optimistic (and perhaps expectation bias might help him), I don't see him completely wanting the AD bass if he's been raising the VOLUME to get the bass he wants out of the MD. Raising the volume has emphasized that same bloom the AD has 'fixed'. We can argue, but fact is, he's been raising the volume for more bass.

So I'm just being logical here in saying the AD is probably not his best choice. He might like it, but I expect some buyer's remorse.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2,888 of 9,071
I do appreciate what you've said. But my own taste for bass have certainly changed over the last year or two. I used to think that the bass on the d5k was as good as it would get for me personally. At least in my price range. Then I got into planar bass for about a year. After that I had a chance to buy the d7k for a sweet price. I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger. Oddly, it turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments. 

I couldn't deal with the bloom in the bass from the d7k. My ears had grown to appreciate the texture, quickness and slam of ortho bass. I love my hd650 but when I'm looking for sub bass now, it has to be an ortho. 

I guess this is just to say that our own taste can change over time. What can sound great at some point in our journey, may not sound that great at some later juncture. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,892 of 9,071
While I totally understand what Dan is saying, there are just some people who prefer the bloom, and less accurate bass. Yes, people do like coloration over accuracy at times.

The person in question, from all he has said, sounds like he'd prefer the colored bass over accurate bass.

Hell, I understand him. I prefer the colored Denon D7000 bass over everything else I've ever owned or tried. So, while he may be optimistic (and perhaps expectation bias might help him), I don't see him completely wanting the AD bass if he's been raising the VOLUME to get the bass he wants out of the MD. Raising the volume has emphasized that same bloom the AD has 'fixed'. We can argue, but fact is, he's been raising the volume for more bass.

So I'm just being logical here in saying the AD is probably not his best choice. He might like it, but I expect some buyer's remorse.

I want a pair of headphones that are closer to audiophile quality.  I already have my fun, boomy-bassy cans. 

I am quite capable of enjoying the Mad Dogs exactly as they are, without increasing the volume.  It's just that on some songs, to get a similar toe-tapping enjoyment when compared to my bloomier cans, I need a bit more volume.  I don't actually increase the volume anymore, but now I realize what was different about some songs when using the Mad Dogs.

Alternately, there are many songs that just blow me away on the Mad Dogs when compared to my other headphones.  There is no perfect solution out there for me.   Steve Miller's Rock'n Me sounds much better with my bassy headphones, while Van Morrison's Into the Mystic can nearly bring me to tears with the Mad Dogs.

I'm not one that really understands and can actually distinguish between the details between sound characteristics.  From what Dan stated earlier about the bass, it makes perfect sense and I'm sure the bass is better in every way.  But to an amateur like myself, it will most likely translate to my ears as not as much bass.  I could be wrong, and I hope that I am, but either way I want to upgrade to the Alphas so that I can own a pair of headphones that an overwhelming majority of listeners seem to love for its ability to deliver audiophile quality sound.

There is little risk that I will not fall in love with the Alphas, as I already enjoy my Mad Dogs immensely.

For me, I honestly do not really know what ideal audiophile quality sounds like.  When I hear a bass guitar play, it is in a bedroom, garage, bar, or a stadium built to seat fans at a basketball game.  I've never been in anything remotely close to a quality listening environment or sound studio.  The distortion and inferior qualities that might be present are probably closer to what I hear most of the time, so I am used to it.  I'd love to have some special, treated room filled with Ethan Winer's bass traps all over the walls and ceilings for dedicated music listening, but I've never had the opportunity.  I'm sure it would freak me out if I walked into one of these rooms. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,894 of 9,071
I'm not one that really understands and can actually distinguish between the details between sound characteristics. From what Dan stated earlier about the bass, it makes perfect sense and I'm sure the bass is better in every way. But to an amateur like myself, it will most likely translate to my ears as not as much bass. .

That is my exactly concern for you, because I DO understand that very feeling (having been there plenty of times before, myself). I LOVED the HE-400's bass (some say it's basically as good as planar bass can get), and yet there were times I was missing the bass coloration found on Denons and DT990s, other bass colored headphones. It DID translate to my ears as not as MUCH bass.

This is why I'm hesitant on the Alpha Dogs, for YOUR taste. I've grown accustomed to linear bass of the planars, with the MD, HE-400, and most notably, the LCD2 under my belt. But I wouldn't call them as BASSY cans. Just really amazing, accurate bass that may take some getting used to if you're used to colored bass (which I love as much as the next guy).

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,895 of 9,071
  I do appreciate what you've said. But my own taste for bass have certainly changed over the last year or two. I used to think that the bass on the d5k was as good as it would get for me personally. At least in my price range. Then I got into planar bass for about a year. After that I had a chance to buy the d7k for a sweet price. I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger. Oddly, it turned out to be one of my biggest disappointments. 

I couldn't deal with the bloom in the bass from the d7k. My ears had grown to appreciate the texture, quickness and slam of ortho bass. I love my hd650 but when I'm looking for sub bass now, it has to be an ortho. 

I guess this is just to say that our own taste can change over time. What can sound great at some point in our journey, may not sound that great at some later juncture. 

Well said Matt - I agree with you 100%  However, you had better call a planar a planar and not an ortho around these parts.  Some folks will get upset..  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back