MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Sep 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,786 of 9,071
Kinda sad when a $250-$300 headphone like the Philips Fidelio X1, outclasses a headphone costing more than 17x as much. It's even built incredibly well.

Aesthetics goes a long way. It gives headphones a PREMIUM look.

Look at the Alpha Dog. It no longer looks like $100 (T50RP). It LOOKS as good as I'm sure it sounds.

Don't get me started on Philips, easily the most overlooked overperforming, underpriced line in all of audio.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,787 of 9,071
That is quite possibly the best mid range open headphone to hit so many marks for so many people. I can't say anything for the others, but I stand by the X1 as the best $300 I spent on Head-fi. Not perfect, but definitely did more things right than wrong.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,788 of 9,071
Don't get me started on Philips, easily the most overlooked overperforming, underpriced line in all of audio.

Kinda have to agree, pricing is low for all the areas the X1 gets right

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,790 of 9,071
You didn't like the X1? That is quite possibly the best mid range open headphone to hit so many marks for so many people. I can't say anything for the others, but I stand by the X1 as the best $300 I spent on Head-fi. Not perfect, but definitely did more things right than wrong.

I think he was agreeing with you

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,791 of 9,071
Yeah, I read it wrong. I fixed it. Lol. It's sleep time. :frowning2:

Back to the AD, I wonder how it will stack up to the HE-500 as the half-grand champion around here. Though judging by the tonal differences, probably going to be apples to oranges.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #1,792 of 9,071
Lol 'nighty night

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,793 of 9,071
Dan, is the AD's pads going to slip on like before, or did you change the way the pad is placed on the AD? I dunno if I'm remembering things wrong, but I could've sworn this was changing from the MD?

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,794 of 9,071
I'm not sure what you're arguing here, we both agree that the AD is looking very nice.

I was just trying to say that there are crowds and products for which aesthetics is of lesser importance than it is for all things Apple. I know there's a lot of happy iDevice owners here on HF but in general audiophiles are geekier than average consumers and might value performance over looks.
That said, I'm excited to see Alpha Dogs have both.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,795 of 9,071
Dan, is the AD's pads going to slip on like before, or did you change the way the pad is placed on the AD? I dunno if I'm remembering things wrong, but I could've sworn this was changing from the MD?

It is changed - it is somewhere in the thread (a clever thread search might find it).

Also, I discovered that someone wants Dan to 3D print a unicorn and a flying horse:

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,796 of 9,071
  Dan, I have the mad dogs and will be purchasing the alpha dogs in addition. My question is, can I purchase just the black sliders for the mad dogs?  Or send it to you for installation?  

Boy...  the black sliders will look cool with the mad dogs....

Sorry, no...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #1,797 of 9,071

The Alpha Dog has a totally different mounting system for the pads.  There is a channel for the pad mounting flange to slip into; you rotate the pad and it's on.  Looks nicer, and is pretty easy.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #1,798 of 9,071
Can't wait to see it in action. :)

Some companies can't seem to get the grasp of pad installation *cough*PhilipsHifimanAudeze*cough*.

The simpler, the better, in case something goes wrong with the pads.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,799 of 9,071
"I never felt the Mad Dog matched up in looks to it's sound. It was a definite sleeper, which is charming in it's own way."

Exactly..And after I sold all my audio gear to get the HD800's,the only other headphone I kept,and swore I'd never sell them was the MD's
Now,I'm glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back