MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #1,711 of 2,583
We voice headphones across solid state, hybrid and tube gear. I generally prefer tube and hybrid designs, they sound more natural to my ear, and I think that AEON (and other really good headphones) just make the benefit of tubes more obvious. Others will doubtless think its heresy and tell me I just like "tube distortion," but that's not it at all.
People claim tubes are warm and gooey haven't listened to amps with good output transformers. Tubes have a wonderful airy clarity. Too bad good output transformers are a few hundred bucks a piece (from lundahl, etc.)

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,713 of 2,583
EDIT: sorry posted in the wrong thread
Hi. What would you guys recommend for stuff like Archspire, Black Crown Initiate, Car Bomb and Periphery from these cans: LCD-X creator edition, LCD-2c, Aeon Flow Open? I have a Jot w/ dac module.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #1,714 of 2,583
How do you "clean" the AEON? Do you real use the leather cleaning cream for the headband or else?

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,715 of 2,583
The cleaning cloth that comes with it and a little breath on the surface cleans most exterior. Nothing or just leather care cream on the shiny side of the headband, nothing or very mild soapy water on ear pad.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 22, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #1,717 of 2,583
I often use them with a Gunnar pair that I wear when I use my computer at work. I have not notice any difference but I should mention that these glasses have a very thin frame and temple

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,719 of 2,583
1) I heard a lot of people loved the bl micro with the Aeon. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the bl nano?

2) Is the bl nano powerful enough to drive them?

Thanks!

I have the AFO with the Nano BL. It's plenry powerful . Sounds really nice for a portable solution . It's a little brighter than my Bimby and Gilmore Lite Mk2 so I go from black felt to one notch white.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,720 of 2,583
I have the AFO with the Nano BL. It's plenry powerful . Sounds really nice for a portable solution . It's a little brighter than my Bimby and Gilmore Lite Mk2 so I go from black felt to one notch white.

Thanks for the reply. As I’m on a bit of a budget I've actually been using the BL Nano as my desktop solution! Would love a truer desktop solution that handles MQA. What do you use/recommend? I thought that pro-ject S2 might be a good shout

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,722 of 2,583
Anyone using AFO while wearing glasses? Have you noticed any effect on the sound?
Yes to the first.
No to the second... but my glasses have pretty flat and slim arms, not those thick hipster ones.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,724 of 2,583
I have pretty much read through this thread.
I have posted the same in the LCD2C thread looking for answers from both camps:

I am considering buying these headphones, but I am at a phase where I am trying to collect as many first hand experiences as possible.

I am a one headphone guy for several reasons, wouldn't go into it. AFO/LCD2C is pretty much the highest end of my wallet.

For 18 months I own the Nighthawks. I know, it is a very controversial pair of headphones, but I like it a lot. Once your brain adjusts to the sound and you have a proper DAC, it is very likeable. Organic, lush, smooth, natural. Good depth. I like my bass, so the bass quantity the NH gives is sufficient for me. Mids are organic and lifelike due to the biocellulose membrane. Highs are natural, but quite laid back. People who need sparkle or shiny treble hate NH by default. I like it as I am pretty treble sensitive, I hear nothing over 15k.

Since I know NH will be discontinued, after the initial thought of buying a second pair the upgraditis bug bit me and I had a look around what else is available which might be a subjective upgrade for me over my beloved NH.
After reading and watching the available reviews and considering my wallet the choice basically came down for the Aeon Flow Open and the LCD2C.
Unfortunately here in the UK it is not as easy to try out all these headphones before purchase as it is in the USA hence I am asking around on the forums.

In the past I owned X00. I loved that bass, still miss it. NH was a compromise on bass compared to X00. But the treble on the Fostex was piercing to me, fatiguing almost painful. Also the sound is cramped, too much in your face. I need a more laid back sound. X2 was mentioned in this thread. I did like them a few years ago a lot, but there are superior cans. And although the bass quantity was quite good, it did roll off as it does with almost all open cans.

I listen to all sorts of music, vocals too, but maybe 60% of my music is ambient, electronica, downtempo, slower type of EDM where bass and sub-bass is important. I do love lush and lifelike mids, I don't mind if mids are slightly forward. I am treble sensitive, so I need a laid back and smooth treble which is rather natural than sparky.

AFC might be better for EDM due to the closed bass, but I read everywhere that AFO is superior to AFC. So I need to decide between AFO and LCD2C.
I don't mind a little coloration, I don't want my headphones to be audio microscopes for detail hunting. I also prefer a little excitement over neutrality. I want to enjoy my music and get lost in it instead of monitoring. I want fun and happy hours instead of a precise measurement graph.
I am a bit worried about the AFO's initially harsh treble, and TBH I don't really want to play around with filters. I also hate EQ-ing. For me a headphone should be ready to enjoy as they come out from the factory.

So, here I am hopefully provided enough background for you to give me a useful advice. AFO or LCD2C? Or I shouldn't bother and keep the NH? (unlikely)

I do love the comfort of my NHs. Lightweight and the most comfortable headphones I have ever touched. I am a bit worried of the Audeze weight. This held me back from trying any of their headphones before. Some consider the 2C an improvement, some still complain, so this pushes me towards the AFO.

Might worth mentioning too, that my first and only introduction to planars was the 400s. (Not the i.) I was utterly disappointed by the lack of character and total lack of bass. Voices were nice and natural, but that's about it. I know the LCDs are on another planar level, but thought I share to give a better picture of my preferences.

I am really excited about the LCD2C at the moment, but don't want to miss out the AFO if that is better for my taste.
Here in the UK however the Aeons cost 25% more than the LCD2Cs, so that is another factor.

I will use my beloved Chord Mojo which I prefer even to the iDSD BL due to its more natural sound. Many like this combo with the LCD2Cand AFO so I am not worried about that. (Although some say they wouldn't use Mojo to drive neither the LCD2C nor the AFO.)

Thanks for any replies and happy listening! :)

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,725 of 2,583
I have pretty much read through this thread.
I have posted the same in the LCD2C thread looking for answers from both camps:

I am considering buying these headphones, but I am at a phase where I am trying to collect as many first hand experiences as possible.

I am a one headphone guy for several reasons, wouldn't go into it. AFO/LCD2C is pretty much the highest end of my wallet.

For 18 months I own the Nighthawks. I know, it is a very controversial pair of headphones, but I like it a lot. Once your brain adjusts to the sound and you have a proper DAC, it is very likeable. Organic, lush, smooth, natural. Good depth. I like my bass, so the bass quantity the NH gives is sufficient for me. Mids are organic and lifelike due to the biocellulose membrane. Highs are natural, but quite laid back. People who need sparkle or shiny treble hate NH by default. I like it as I am pretty treble sensitive, I hear nothing over 15k.

Since I know NH will be discontinued, after the initial thought of buying a second pair the upgraditis bug bit me and I had a look around what else is available which might be a subjective upgrade for me over my beloved NH.
After reading and watching the available reviews and considering my wallet the choice basically came down for the Aeon Flow Open and the LCD2C.
Unfortunately here in the UK it is not as easy to try out all these headphones before purchase as it is in the USA hence I am asking around on the forums.

In the past I owned X00. I loved that bass, still miss it. NH was a compromise on bass compared to X00. But the treble on the Fostex was piercing to me, fatiguing almost painful. Also the sound is cramped, too much in your face. I need a more laid back sound. X2 was mentioned in this thread. I did like them a few years ago a lot, but there are superior cans. And although the bass quantity was quite good, it did roll off as it does with almost all open cans.

I listen to all sorts of music, vocals too, but maybe 60% of my music is ambient, electronica, downtempo, slower type of EDM where bass and sub-bass is important. I do love lush and lifelike mids, I don't mind if mids are slightly forward. I am treble sensitive, so I need a laid back and smooth treble which is rather natural than sparky.

AFC might be better for EDM due to the closed bass, but I read everywhere that AFO is superior to AFC. So I need to decide between AFO and LCD2C.
I don't mind a little coloration, I don't want my headphones to be audio microscopes for detail hunting. I also prefer a little excitement over neutrality. I want to enjoy my music and get lost in it instead of monitoring. I want fun and happy hours instead of a precise measurement graph.
I am a bit worried about the AFO's initially harsh treble, and TBH I don't really want to play around with filters. I also hate EQ-ing. For me a headphone should be ready to enjoy as they come out from the factory.

So, here I am hopefully provided enough background for you to give me a useful advice. AFO or LCD2C? Or I shouldn't bother and keep the NH? (unlikely)

I do love the comfort of my NHs. Lightweight and the most comfortable headphones I have ever touched. I am a bit worried of the Audeze weight. This held me back from trying any of their headphones before. Some consider the 2C an improvement, some still complain, so this pushes me towards the AFO.

Might worth mentioning too, that my first and only introduction to planars was the 400s. (Not the i.) I was utterly disappointed by the lack of character and total lack of bass. Voices were nice and natural, but that's about it. I know the LCDs are on another planar level, but thought I share to give a better picture of my preferences.

I am really excited about the LCD2C at the moment, but don't want to miss out the AFO if that is better for my taste.
Here in the UK however the Aeons cost 25% more than the LCD2Cs, so that is another factor.

I will use my beloved Chord Mojo which I prefer even to the iDSD BL due to its more natural sound. Many like this combo with the LCD2Cand AFO so I am not worried about that. (Although some say they wouldn't use Mojo to drive neither the LCD2C nor the AFO.)

Thanks for any replies and happy listening! :)

I have the Nighthawk and the ETHER Flow open. I’ve read many of your reviews and posts and I feel that the ETHER Flow open is a great headphone. I know you are asking about the AEON but from what I gather the ETHER Flow open and AEON open aren’t too far off, and, from what I can tell (by reading every post in the corresponding threads), the AEON open is at least as warm as the ETHER Flow open. I think you may enjoy the AEON open. Regarding the Mojo it will do well with the AEON open IMO as the ETHER Flow does well.

I wish I had a comparison of the LCD2C and AEON open but I haven’t heard either of them. I do prefer the ETHER Flow open to the LCD-2.2 that I own if that counts. Lol, apologies for the non-comparison and recommend you take it with a grain of salt.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back