MPX3 Slam SE: which electrolytics should I replace with Blackgates?
Mar 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Frihed89

1000+ Head-Fier
I've attached a pic of my original MPX3 Slam SE.  Since I took this photo I've replaced the Sprague coupling caps with Audio Note copper in foil caps; disabled the high power switch; and added bleeder resistors on the large PS storage caps.

But now I am wondering if it's worth replacing any of the Japanese electrolytic caps with Blackgates?  There are 12 candidates in all.I think the 2 fat ones in the middle are PS caps and the 2 on the upper right (C4 and C104) are cathode caps. I don't know the function of C61 or C62, or the 4 in the lower left, or the two diagonally placed between  the old Sprgaue coupling cap near the center and what i think may be the cathode caps.

Can anyone tell me where I would get the biggest bangs for my bucks?  I'm presuming it's the 2 fat caps and C10 and C4.

I know Blackgates take a long time to break in, but so did the new coupling caps and it was well worth it.

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Just curious, but where were you expecting to purchase any Black Gates?
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 7
The problem with upgrading electrolytics is that the nicer audiophile versions like Nichicon Muse, Elna Cerafine / Silmic II and Black Gates in the identical value (voltage & microfarads) will be physically much larger. The lead spacing may be spaced a few mm farther so it won't line up on the PCB and the width can potentially interfere with close-by components. You can still work it out but it usually doesn't look "neat". 

The other potential upgrade you can perform is to switch out resistors in the signal path. There are plenty of fancy resistors out there like Takman, Kiwame, Riken and  pricey tantalums from Shinkoh and Audio Note.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Sonic craft

Maybe, but the stock is awfully limited.  I suspect that if you called them, they'd only have half of what shows on their website.

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 7
The 2 black caps in the middle are the filament voltage caps, typically 22000 uf each, 25V and as far
as i know blackgate never made anything like that.

C4 and C10 are the output caps, and will make the biggest difference in sound.
Favorite blackgates there are 400uf/450v or the 330uf/450v, both of which are
much larger and require attaching wires to extend them because they won't
fit into the circuit board as is.

If you want to completely disassemble, you can drill one extra hole for
each cap, and do some wiring to get them to fit.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks very much.

Quote:
The 2 black caps in the middle are the filament voltage caps, typically 22000 uf each, 25V and as far
as i know blackgate never made anything like that.

C4 and C10 are the output caps, and will make the biggest difference in sound.
Favorite blackgates there are 400uf/450v or the 330uf/450v, both of which are
much larger and require attaching wires to extend them because they won't
fit into the circuit board as is.

If you want to completely disassemble, you can drill one extra hole for
each cap, and do some wiring to get them to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back