MP3 player ~$200
Dec 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

larryhudson

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a good MP3 player for around $200. I need a new one because my last one - a 2nd gen iPod touch - is busted. I need decent sound quality, but I don't need the best (using $70 headphones, the Soundmagic PL50s). I need simple navigation and nice UI design. I need something small for running, and I don't need high capacity (I'm very picky about what I put on my player). I'd be happy with 8GB.

I've been looking at the Zunes and Cowons. Leaning towards the Zune with its beautiful UI. I know you guys are always recommending the Sansa Fuze, would that be good in my case?

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance,
Larry

EDIT: I should also mention I'm in Australia, but I've tried my best to convert the monies, want to spend around AU$250.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think based on what you're looking for, the clip+ is the perfect player for you. and you'll have plenty of money leftover if you want to take this chance to upgrade your iem's as well.

I'm thinking about the Fuze, too. I like the bigger screen and the battery life is much better than the Clip+ (28 hours over 15)

EDIT: Just saw that I can get a 16GB MicroSDHC card for AU$61, add that to a 4GB Fuze ($95), and I've got a 20GB pocket player for under $200.

Would the Fuze fall over when browsing through, say, 5000 songs?

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 25
if you don't mind buying used, i'd actually point you to my brother's listing on the fs/ft forums here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...rosdhc-458156/ . It's exactly what you just described: 4gb fuze + 16gb microsdhc (class 6) for much less than your budget. i'm sure he can work out international shipping with you.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you don't mind buying used, i'd actually point you to my brother's listing on the fs/ft forums here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...rosdhc-458156/ . It's exactly what you just described: 4gb fuze + 16gb microsdhc (class 6) for much less than your budget. i'm sure he can work out international shipping with you.

Thanks for the idea, but I'd rather buy new in Australia.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 25
Well then buy a Fuze and a card. Can't go wrong with that setup IMO, I use it and I love it. Can't think of anything else that I'd realistically want from my portable source.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 25
Don't go for the zune if you want something that sounds like the touch 2g,the fuze is an excellent choice and it sounds almost the same like the touch2g.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 25
Yeah, I don't think I ever used the touch to its full ability, I've only ever used the Senn LX90, Senn HD202, Senn CX300 and the Senn CX95. I only buy Sennheisers for the 2-year warranty, I go through phones every few months.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryhudson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I don't think I ever used the touch to its full ability, I've only ever used the Senn LX90, Senn HD202, Senn CX300 and the Senn CX95. I only buy Sennheisers for the 2-year warranty, I go through phones every few months.

Well sennheiser ie8 won't hurt in this case...
biggrin.gif
you should buy one and pair it with the touch and the sound you will hear will prevent you from making any other audio related purchase..at least for a couple of years.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 25
I see your into running, hard to beat the clip for that and the sq is great. The new "+" clip has microSD expansion and it's available in the 8gb you mentioned. Only thing on it that's a negative is the EQ is useless, but it does sound great running flat and it's very affordable.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 25
@midoo1990 Haven't got that much cash, IE8 AU$400 + Touch AU$300 = $700, I only want to spend ~$200. I'm very happy with the PL50s. And it's hard to go running with a touch in your pocket.

@WalkGood I want the Clip+ with the Clip's scroll wheel. You can't have 10GB+ of music with up and down buttons
frown.gif

I'm still leaning towards the Fuze, doesn't look like there's any other options.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 25
The Sony 720 series are pretty cheap now. 8 or 16 Gb for less than $150 with recommended sound quality. Too bad memory isn't expandable, but if you like your sound to be at least good these are a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back