Moving on from UM3X - what next?
Jun 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
Well, she said she didn't like the comfort of the UM3x, which is why she's looking for something different. And the UM2 uses the same shell as the UM3x...

My favourite universal driver is DBA-02MKII though! 
beyersmile.png

Well, the OP is pretty much comparing the UM3X to the PFE232, and I find the PFEs to be the most comfortable UIEMs I have tried up to today. Other than that, yes if you find the UM3X to be uncomfortable, you will find the UM2s to be uncomfortable as well. But if you're directly comparing it to the Audeo, I don't think anything comes as close to it; not even my Customs feel as comfortable.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Well, the OP is pretty much comparing the UM3X to the PFE232, and I find the PFEs to be the most comfortable UIEMs I have tried up to today. Other than that, yes if you find the UM3X to be uncomfortable, you will find the UM2s to be uncomfortable as well. But if you're directly comparing it to the Audeo, I don't think anything comes as close to it; not even my Customs feel as comfortable.

Well, it's called "perfect fit" for a reason.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #19 of 29
And as the OP stated, OP wants something "different sounding", not comfort if I read it correctly

Here's a quote.

Quote:
The UM3X just aren't as comfortable as I'd like them to be so I'm looking for something different. I love my 232's so they aren't going anywhere but sometimes you're just in the mood for a different sound or at least I am.  It looks like I will be taking a closer look at the ASG 1.2, SM3v2 and possibly the W4 again. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #20 of 29
The UM3X just aren't as comfortable as I'd like them to be so I'm looking for something different. I love my 232's so they aren't going anywhere but sometimes you're just in the mood for a different sound or at least I am.  It looks like I will be taking a closer look at the ASG 1.2, SM3v2 and possibly the W4 again. 

Try reading that again from where I bolded below.

Quote:
The UM3X just aren't as comfortable as I'd like them to be so I'm looking for something different. I love my 232's so they aren't going anywhere but sometimes you're just in the mood for a different sound or at least I am.  It looks like I will be taking a closer look at the ASG 1.2, SM3v2 and possibly the W4 again. 

So technically we're both wrong and right here. OP wants something of different sound and something that is more comfortable than the UM3X.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:
Try reading that again from where I bolded below.

So technically we're both wrong and right here. OP wants something of different sound and something that is more comfortable than the UM3X.

I don't see how I'm wrong when I recommended the SM3v2 
beyersmile.png
, and obviously the UM2 is out if she wants something more comfortable. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #25 of 29
Another vote for the SM3 v2.  You might also enjoy the FX700 if you don't need high isolation and like dynamic earphones.  I also love the MD Tributes.  I had the UM3X and loved them except for the closed in soundstage, which ultimately was a deal breaker.  The SM3s have the widest soundstage I have experienced so far in an armature based earphone.

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
Another vote for the SM3 v2.  You might also enjoy the FX700 if you don't need high isolation and like dynamic earphones.  I also love the MD Tributes.  I had the UM3X and loved them except for the closed in soundstage, which ultimately was a deal breaker.  The SM3s have the widest soundstage I have experienced so far in an armature based earphone.

The FX700 is bright, however... 

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Honestly, I found the Westone 4's to be the most comfortable IEM I've tried and I'm kicking myself that I didn't inquire about an exchange before my time was up.  I love the PFE's but I don't know if I'm "in love" with them. Although for classical - I don't know if I could let them go because for that genre - they really are that good.

Right now I've been looking at the SM3 v2 and ASG rev 1.2 - even though I really shouldn't buy anything right now.  I suppose I could sell my Sony A865
biggrin.gif
  Something about the UM3X does nothing for me.  It did at first but between the fit and sound - they just aren't what I'm looking for. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
Honestly, I found the Westone 4's to be the most comfortable IEM I've tried and I'm kicking myself that I didn't inquire about an exchange before my time was up.  I love the PFE's but I don't know if I'm "in love" with them. Although for classical - I don't know if I could let them go because for that genre - they really are that good.

Right now I've been looking at the SM3 v2 and ASG rev 1.2 - even though I really shouldn't buy anything right now.  I suppose I could sell my Sony A865
biggrin.gif
  Something about the UM3X does nothing for me.  It did at first but between the fit and sound - they just aren't what I'm looking for. 

I have tried the Westone 4 with the westone grey tips and found some parts of it addictive (I was using the shure grey flex before and it actually made the bass boomy). I felt that the vocals actually make you feel like you're in the music, and the soundstage is very well placed, followed by the separation. 

To be honest, I don't feel that the SM3v2 does the mids as well as what the Westone 4 does, it's just rendered very well, and the whole signature is smooth compared to the SM3v2 which I felt lack refinement to say the least. Selling the A865 is good if you can live without it's sound 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back