Moving on from UM3X - what next?
Jun 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

vocalist

100+ Head-Fier
The UM3X is a great iem and I do find myself pretty enchanted by it's sound.  That said, I'm not head over heels for it so I'd like to move on and get my hands (ears?) on something else.  Small annoyances are the size of the jack as I have to use an adaptor when I use my iPhone 4S and the length of the nozzles - I prefer the westone 4's shorter nozzle.  Sound-wise I love their instrument seperation and vocals.  I have never really felt that the soundstage is as horribly cramped as many make it out to be but it's not as open/airy as I prefer, either, which makes sense for what it is.  They are a little overly-sensitive for my liking in that a few volume notches already have it cranked.  

I currently have the PFE 232's which I love but I'd like something with a little darker, lush and warmer signature - probably mid-forward.  I'm looking to stay under $300 and preferrably less.   Some iem's I've been considering are: MRD-EX600, ASG-1 (1.2), SM3 v2, TDK BA200.  I've also considered re-purchasing the Westone 4 as I do find myself missing that iem quite a bit.  I'll be using either an iPhone 4s or Sony A865 walkman.  Thanks in advance. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 29
Sounds like the SM3 v2 would be a good fit, but it's pretty much an acquired taste.  Might take some time getting used to and don't expect to like them out of the box.  I also have the UM3X and W4 which are both great as well, W4 being the fav.  Never tried the PFEs though.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 29
You described you want more lush and warm and I know I'm beating a dead horse here but the Rockit Sounds R-50 would fit the bill nicely.  It balanced and very detailed with a warmer presentation along with an air, open and cohesive soundstage.  I compared them with the W4 and other than the W4 having a little wider soundstage as far as SQ goes I felt the were equal though they have different sound signatures.  Its my favorite IEM I have and I'd like to think I have some good ones.  Its only $119.99 shipped but sounds better than a lot of IEM's costing over $300.

If your wanting a warmer IEM the EX600 is not that, its more so on the bright side.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 29
UM3X is outstanding and not many universal can be better, just different.  You want "open and airy", GR10 is the first thing that comes to mind.  It is not as heavy as W3 or UM3X...the music floats with harmonic bliss so if you don't need slam and a heaviness which Westones tend to have, GR10 would definitely be an upgrade for your tastes.  For acoustic and vocal the GR10 easily kept pace with my $1,300 JH13.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 29
From what I know the UM3X does have a warmer mid-centric sound signature and is not really bright either.  I'm wondering why you want another IEM that sound basically the same?  In that case the e-Q7, SE425 or SE535 fits the sound signature your looking for.  I think the SM3 would also be a good choice.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:
UM3X is outstanding and not many universal can be better, just different.  You want "open and airy", GR10 is the first thing that comes to mind.  It is not as heavy as W3 or UM3X...the music floats with harmonic bliss so if you don't need slam and a heaviness which Westones tend to have, GR10 would definitely be an upgrade for your tastes.  For acoustic and vocal the GR10 easily kept pace with my $1,300 JH13.

I think I'm leaning toward an open/airy feel to the instruments as in more air around them.  With the 232's I get a complete sense of air around the instruments and it makes them come alive.  The UM3X just doesn't move me the way the 232's or W4 have.  The W4's left me over a month ago and I still think about the sound because there's just something about it.  I found myself finding excuses to go listen to music and not wanting to take them out.  That's what I want.  If I can leave/take the sound then they don't need to stay and that's how I (personally) feel about the UM3X.  I'm not dissing it by any means.  I'm also not looking for better - just different
beerchug.gif

As for Shure - not for me.  I dislike their fit and their cables and could never get the 425's to stay in long enough to give them a listen. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 29
Both the UM3X and PFE232 and you're not satisfied?? I find it hard to use another IEM now after I bought my PFE232s (minus my customs)

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
Both the UM3X and PFE232 and you're not satisfied?? I find it hard to use another IEM now after I bought my PFE232s (minus my customs)

The UM3X just aren't as comfortable as I'd like them to be so I'm looking for something different. I love my 232's so they aren't going anywhere but sometimes you're just in the mood for a different sound or at least I am.  It looks like I will be taking a closer look at the ASG 1.2, SM3v2 and possibly the W4 again. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 29
The UM3X just aren't as comfortable as I'd like them to be so I'm looking for something different. I love my 232's so they aren't going anywhere but sometimes you're just in the mood for a different sound or at least I am.  It looks like I will be taking a closer look at the ASG 1.2, SM3v2 and possibly the W4 again. 

Why not try the Westone UM2? I found myself preferring the UM2 over the UM3 in a lot of different ways.

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:
Why not try the Westone UM2? I found myself preferring the UM2 over the UM3 in a lot of different ways.

Good point.  UM2 is not quite as "closed in" sounding as UM3X.  Highs are a little rolled off but it's my favorite universal dual driver.  I actually prefer it over the SE535 and think it generally has a more luscious midrange than the Shures.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:
I think I'm leaning toward an open/airy feel to the instruments as in more air around them.  With the 232's I get a complete sense of air around the instruments and it makes them come alive.  The UM3X just doesn't move me the way the 232's or W4 have.  The W4's left me over a month ago and I still think about the sound because there's just something about it.  I found myself finding excuses to go listen to music and not wanting to take them out.  That's what I want.  If I can leave/take the sound then they don't need to stay and that's how I (personally) feel about the UM3X.  I'm not dissing it by any means.  I'm also not looking for better - just different
beerchug.gif

As for Shure - not for me.  I dislike their fit and their cables and could never get the 425's to stay in long enough to give them a listen. 

Hmmm I felt the same way about the westone cables, I removed the memory cable from my UM3X RC's

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
Good point.  UM2 is not quite as "closed in" sounding as UM3X.  Highs are a little rolled off but it's my favorite universal dual driver.  I actually prefer it over the SE535 and think it generally has a more luscious midrange than the Shures.

Well, she said she didn't like the comfort of the UM3x, which is why she's looking for something different. And the UM2 uses the same shell as the UM3x...

My favourite universal driver is DBA-02MKII though! 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back