Movie Cliches
Oct 14, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by setmenu
phazers,lazers,and various energy weapons not only have
visible beams,that beam moves very slowly so dodging the
weapon becomes a real possibility!
Give me a trusty .45ACP in that situation..that'l learn em!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to mention that you can hear sound in outher space. More critiques in this place: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/index.html

biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
4- Female scientists are allways way too hot. Male scientists, specially the leads, are allways handsome, muscular guys. I, for one, would love to see Stephen Hawking fighting aliens instead of Guy Pearce going against the Morlocks. It could be great fun.

I like this one. Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist. Oh yeah, and Elizabeth Shue discovering cold fusion and hiding the equations in her bra. Bridget Fonda as a paleontologist. Not really like the labs that I've seen. Eh, then again I don't go to the movies to see normal looking people I guess. And for ugly, I just look in the mirror.

I think Jodie Foster was pretty believable in Contact, but I have an obsession with Jodie Foster.

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Mookie
Speaking of Hindi movies, the sound of their physical combat is worse that it looks. For example the sound of a punch will sound like it will knock Iron Mike out with a single shot, but it hardly causes the receiving person to flinch. You should watch at least a Hindi movie to know what I mean ...

Boy do I know that very well. I've been watching Hindi movies since the day I was born (literally, something to do with me being born in India and being Indian
tongue.gif
).

There are tons more ... like "guy bumps into girl on street or college and they fall madly in love".

"Guy proposes to girl but she hates him to death. Guy will then stalk her for a few days and will sing songs + does complicated dance steps (like pelvic thrusts .... LOTS of pelvic thrusts).

The songs are provacative and vulgar in language specifically targeted to her. She will just pretend to ignore him.

Towards the end of the song she'll suddenly begin to like him and she will sing with him + do complicated dance steps (Lots of pelvic thrusts and jiggling breasts).

Also the dance sequences will have 2-3 costume changes and they will take place in at least 3-5 different countries. Hows that for a 3-5 min song eh?"

It's fun for some time but after watching countless movies the same formula is presented in different ways.

Indian movies has a thing for love stories. Almost all major blockbusters have been love stories in the past few years.

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by mlchang
I think Jodie Foster was pretty believable in Contact, but I have an obsession with Jodie Foster.

she's no enhanced bombshell tho (but I share that obsession!). Helen Hunt was pretty believable in Twister too. problem with Contact was IMO, how do you build such an enormous construction just a few miles out of the coast, with no one noticing??

another thing: the ultra-rich mastermind is either disabled or has some terminal disease.

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
Helen Hunt was pretty believable in Twister too.

Yep, I agree. She's pretty but normal, just like Ms. Foster. Actually, there are a lot of "pretty but normal" girls working at NASA's JPL. It would be hard to find someone who looks like Denisse Richards or Milla Jovovich anyway.

By the way, another cliché in sci-fi is how fast they build stuff, like you pointed out, and how fast they decide to send a spaceship, for example, to bomb an asteroid or something. In reality, NASA takes years to do that, obviouslly.

biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 39
the greatest movie cliche:

[size=small]"let's get outta here!"[/size]

the majority of ALL movies have some form of this phrase in them. i honestly think it is an inside joke in hollywood.

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #23 of 39
During car chase scenes, I always enjoy the sound of tires squealing...even on dirt roads.

Re: Hindi movies. It seems the dancing girl is always way better looking than the dancing guy.

Oct 15, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #24 of 39
How do you leave out the biggest cliche of all time:

At the end of the movie the villain has the hero/girl in the palm of his had, but stands there talking for an hour until the hero/hero's sidekick comes to the rescue.

kerely

Oct 15, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
God help us if real cars exploded when you stomped on the ground too hard.
eek.gif

They do, remember Yugo's.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
How do you leave out the biggest cliche of all time:

At the end of the movie the villain has the hero/girl in the palm of his had, but stands there talking for an hour until the hero/hero's sidekick comes to the rescue.

kerely

This was well addressed in Austin Powers I believe when Seth Green offers to kill Austin Powers but Dr. Evil concocts the evil mutant sea-bass plan.

For some reason, bad guys always want to fight the hero one-on-one in a punching match, but always have some ridiculous weapon to destroy the earth with. I have no doubt that the new Bond movie will be the same. But Rosamund Pike, oh my!

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #29 of 39
I’ve noticed in a bunch of movies whenever Caucasian Americans are eating Chinese food, they all know how to use chopsticks flawlessly. But in reality, there’s always a percentage people in a group who don’t know how to use chopsticks.

Also, you never see a movie scene of people eating authentic Chinese food or Indian food. I did see a Woody Allen movie where there was an Indian restaurant scene but that’s extremely rare in American films.

51E446FE-CEA3-4B3F-8691-AADADF953C0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 39
Another thing is that you never see a serious movie of extremely fat people involved in romance or a serious love story.

If there are very fat people or people with bad tattoos, those characters are not taken seriously and commonly used as comedy characters or minor role characters

But in reality, obese people also get involved in romances and serious dramas that are not comedies. That concept is absent in Hollywood movies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back