Most logical upgrade?
May 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sonorously

New Head-Fier
I'm planning to upgrade my sound system soon.
Right now this is my current setup
Onboard sound -> Logitech X-230's

I want to stick with speakers. What's the most effective and budget friendly upgrade ($200-250)?

Much appreciated.

May 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 14
The greatest change for the money will always be transducers (speakers or cans), but I'd keep saving. $200 - $250 just wont get you far enough. You need at least twice that much to get to a passable pair of active monitors. And this comes from someone who very strongly believes that "you get what you pay for" does not apply in audio.

P

May 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 14
I disagree with the above....

Check out Swan M200MKII $250 and the MKIII $399 model. Also the audioengine A5's $325 are really great sounding speakers. I would maybe save up a little more and get some of those. Spend a little more on the speakers and maybe save up a little and get a decent source later... If you really want to stay within your budget the Swan D1080mkII 08 would be money well spent.

http://www.audioengineusa.com/

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php/loudspeakers/swan-active-desktop/cPath/21_24

May 20, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm not sure how much M-Audio BX5a's are these days, but I'd suggest looking at those. Better speakers by far.

However, a DAC like an EMU 0404 USB would do you no harm either, and would work with your current speakers.

May 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 14

I just bought the Fostex PM 0.4 (powered studio monitor) for my office setup and I am more than happy with the result. They are connected directly to my laptop and the sound is great! Next step will be an EMU 0202 sound card.

May 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 14
The BX5A's are around $239. I was looking into them myself initially but I heard of some quality complaints. That was awhile back though so they could quite possibly have worked out the kinks.

May 20, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 14
It may depend on what you're mostly doing on the computer. If you are doing video editing or the like, a near-field monitor with a balanced response would be ideal, but if you are mostly listening to music, I'd highly recommend investigating the Tekton Audio 4.1. I wrote a small thread about it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484179/my-modest-tekton-audio-4-1-speaker-setup

Depending on your setup, you may want to have Eric use the shielded version of the Fostex drivers.

Throw in a T amp and you're good to go :) The Tektons sound great running on 10 watts and provide a warm and intimate sound.

May 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
It may depend on what you're mostly doing on the computer. If you are doing video editing or the like, a near-field monitor with a balanced response would be ideal, but if you are mostly listening to music, I'd highly recommend investigating the Tekton Audio 4.1. I wrote a small thread about it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484179/my-modest-tekton-audio-4-1-speaker-setup

Depending on your setup, you may want to have Eric use the shielded version of the Fostex drivers.

Throw in a T amp and you're good to go :) The Tektons sound great running on 10 watts and provide a warm and intimate sound.

I'm not a video editor, I primarily use my computer for listening to music (MP3/FLAC files) and play some MMORPGs.

May 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 14
Actually ... We have the Fostex speakers in our department setup ... Mac Mini as a music server, apple remote to flick and an old Cambridge receiver feeding them. Sounds good at low volumes.

May 21, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Actually do yourself a favour. The BX5A are a relatively common speaker. Most music stores carry them as studio monitor solutions. Take your IPOD and give them a listen. Out of all the speakers mention in this thread they're probably the easiest to locate for an audition. It's the smartest way to spend your money....

Good luck!

May 21, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Actually do yourself a favour. The BX5A are a relatively common speaker. Most music stores carry them as studio monitor solutions. Take your IPOD and give them a listen. Out of all the speakers mention in this thread they're probably the easiest to locate for an audition. It's the smartest way to spend your money....

Good luck!

The music stores nearby are relatively small and do not carry speakers =/. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back