Most anticipated headphone release of 2024?
Apr 5, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 23
Huhntech Zabilion 5D Satellite Driver over ear, kinda like the RAAL SR1 but multiple free floating drivers, like a portable Atmos setup. The prototype almost hanged the designer when the mini sub's power flipped him backwards during a huge 22hz spike so release postponed to autumn most likely

Fostex TOTL projected for end of 2024, over 2k

Pharsalus Piezo Hybrid PlasmatechPlanar, emits gas during max tension so unclear if it gets through certification.

Herzakon Bioplasmid Microcellular Level Diaphragm, like biocellulose but way stiffer and yet lighter, extracted from amazonian frog backs.

Hifiman 's high sensivity Susvara replacement filling the void in the upper price bracket.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 23
RAAL Immanis. Hands down.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 23
What will be, or has been released this year that you are biting your nails for??
anticipating audio gear that much what

what progression can be expected from 2023 to 2024 other than increasing prices for inflation and new daring trends of testing the resolve of audiophile wallets

how much progress in transducers has been made since planars and electrostats of the 70s and 80s for example

your question may be better for the audiophiles of summit-fi who are on the bleeding edge of technology that bleeds wallets dry for miniscule gains

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 23
My Grado from the 90s is still trading blows with cans that are $2k+ today. Sony R10 and Stax 007 are also old AF but still relevant today. People can figure out for themselves how much progress we have actually made in cans other than the price.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 23
I'm on the waiting list for the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro X with the new drivers used in the DT700 and DT900. I've had both, and the 700 was too tame, the DT900 was fun and easily in the daily driver class along with my Hifiman HE5xx for all around sound and all day comfort. The DT770 Pro X should be fun to try if they improved the tuning but didn't stray too far. Looking forward to bass extension and if they smoothed the treble peak a wee bit. Due for release this month, they're just taking preorders now. Usually on eBay some seller starts offering them even before pre-orders are sent out. Going to keep checking and see who actually gets their hands on them first.

Apr 5, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 23
Anticipating headphone releases is a rather curious concept. It's not like headphones get updated every year like smartphones, or even on a regular basis. And nothing really revolutionary happens in headphones anyways. All the better IMO. Maybe it's just me getting older, but anticipating a product release isn't something that happens to me very much. Curiosity, of course. Interest, sure. But nail-biting anticipation? Not really something that I feel.

I'm still interested in new headphones, even if I'm not anticipating them. I'd like to hear the new entry-level Stax SR-X1 at some point. It's Stax's first accessibly priced headphone in a while that looks normal (i.e. not a Lambda). It's always good to have a cheaper model to fit normal budgets and normal tastes in headphone aesthetics. It is expected to be released mid-year and maybe it'll reach the US by the fall. In any case, I'm planning a Tokyo/Japan trip for the end of the year and I'll probably get to hear it if I visit e-earphone or Fujiya-avic.

On the exact opposite end, I'm curious about the Raal 1995 Immanis and Magna. Ribbons are a path I didn't take in my journey, so I think it would be interesting to hear the Immanis/Magna at some point. The Final D7000 has also piqued my curiosity. Technically released late last year, but I'm still curious about the DCA E3; I have not enjoyed any of DCA's headphones (I own the Aeon 2 Closed/Noire and I've had multiple demoes of the Stealth, Expanse, and Corina, as well as a brief listen of the Ether 2 Open), but hope springs eternal that I might find a DCA that I like. I want to hear these headphones, but I'm also not in a rush to do so, or keen on closely following the conversation around them.

Apr 12, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 23
I am interested to see how DMS Project Omega gonna turn out.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #13 of 23
Based on a bit of history - and no input - the E3 open. On other fronts the Rag 3 & Gungnir 2 MB.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 23
anticipating audio gear that much what

what progression can be expected from 2023 to 2024 other than increasing prices for inflation and new daring trends of testing the resolve of audiophile wallets

how much progress in transducers has been made since planars and electrostats of the 70s and 80s for example

your question may be better for the audiophiles of summit-fi who are on the bleeding edge of technology that bleeds wallets dry for miniscule gains
Certainly at the bleeding edge for technology/price its a rich person's game.

Just going back to 2016 when I jumped in for real, a $1500 can was nearly the top and over $500 most people would think you were a few cards short.. Modding was rampant and choices were far fewer.

I went to a meet in October and felt like a church mouse with my HD-600 and HE-6 SE - but it's not all grim at "normal" prices. Senn has the 660 S2 - which seems to have future at under $400, the HD-490, HFM Xs, Sundara; Also while I don't keep track, stalwarts such as AKG, Grado, Beyer, AT must be adding to the lower priced choices.

Also consider inflation, a HE-6 4 screw was $1200 I believe in 2010, with inflation that's got to be ~$2.5k now. Senn HD-600 often shows up at $275 new, so that was what ~$120 in 2000?

Always mods, PEQ, pads, ear position, etc. to try and improve what one has...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back