More on Speakers
Feb 23, 2008 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

uraflit

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys! So I finally decided that headphones will take a backseat to speakers... I've found a few sites, but where is the best place to read more about them?

I also have a extremely hard time finding vendors for the speakers these sites may persuade me to buy
biggrin.gif
Help a fella out by giving me some cheaper sites to buy my gear from... thanks!

If anything, just give me a recommendation on speakers here too... my budget is around ~$800 for everything (speakers, wires, amp). I have a 0404USB as a DAC already

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 16
c325bee + whatever epos you can afford + BJ spkr wires (bare)

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 16
Cheeseman, that's a rather refreshingly honest list of recommended components.

Whatever happened to your recommendations for that digital Panasonic receiver, and $$$$ Virtual Dynamics interconnects and powercords?

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 16
check out Audiogon, there are some good deals there. I just bought a power amp, tube preamp, and speakers, would have cost me 3800 new prices, I paid 1650, and everything was in Excellent/mint condition. And btw headphones are great, but I think I do prefer speakers too.

mike

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 16
I highly recommend NSM Model 5's, which would be right in your price range, leaving you enough to get a NAD amp like the one mentioned above and speaker wire. Just google them for a ton of positive reviews. Closed cabinet, and small size make placement a non-issue (not to mention they totally disappear sonically, imaging like crazy).

Feb 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanalei mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out Audiogon, there are some good deals there.

Yes! Thankfully, it's a community made up of 99% good and honest people as well. Audiogon is lot like Head-Fi, just an older crowd playing with bigger and more expensive toys. I've bought tons of stuff there and have never had an ounce of trouble with any of my transactions.

Quote:

I just bought a power amp, tube preamp, and speakers, would have cost me 3800 new prices, I paid 1650, and everything was in Excellent/mint condition.

My same experience, 125 times over at Audiogon. Never a bad deal in all that time! Audiogon Feedback

Quote:

And btw headphones are great, but I think I do prefer speakers too.

mike

I agree with Mike on this one (and I'm about as big of a headphone nut as you'll find), but with one proviso: I prefer speakers done right to headphones. But that's not an easy task by any means!

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything, just give me a recommendation on speakers here too... my budget is around ~$800 for everything (speakers, wires, amp). I have a 0404USB as a DAC already

Since you have the 0404 USB, now would be a perfect time to start a balanced speaker rig. Consider heading over to your nearest pro audio / music store to test some active balanced studio monitors. Some examples in your price range: M-Audio BX8a Deluxe, Tannoy Reveal 5A... If you can bump up your budget to $1,000/pair, your options will broaden. In that range, take a look at the Mackie, Genelec, Dynaudio, Adam, and JBL lines.

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 16
nice advice guys... seems like there's a bunch of good stuff on audiogon...

speakers are just so much broader than headphones... in both literal size and information i guess =P

i heard that the audioengine 2 is pretty good for a budget setup... ~$200 for a self powered unit...

but of course, i want to get a good pair so that i wont be constantly upgrading =]

do balanced speakers work the same way as balanced headphones?

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do balanced speakers work the same way as balanced headphones?

Yes, they're both balanced, but with "active" balanced speakers, the amplifiers are included within each speaker. You'll plug some TRS cables into both the 0404 USB and the speakers (or TRS-XLR if the speakers only have XLR inputs), and then you'll be able to control the volume with the Main Output knob of the 0404 USB.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 16
balanced speakers seem very convenient since they are actively powered... and i already have the inputs necessary to make it happen! but my options seem to be sparse... and they are pricey!

anyways, i love the suggestions! the inifnity primus P162 is looking great, but i need to research more =D

i just gotta decide wut i should get... i mainly use my speakers at my computer to play music. of course, the occasional movie/anime/tv demands some bass presence too... fun > analytical!

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 16
Have you gone to avsforum.com? Its a great source for speaker and home audio. Check out av123, aperion, ascend acoustics offerings. Audioholics has some shootouts for speakers in your price range too. You might find a used outlaw amp for a couple bills. I have some Primus speakers and they sound nice when played loud. I also have Dana 630 bookshelfs which are good too.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 16
Are you open to the possibility of DIY speakers? If you either have or know anyone with the required tools you will be able to get a lot more for your money than even used commercial designs. In my opinion, many of the DIY recipes in the $300+ range will be able to keep up with or often better speakers 3-4 times their cost. There are drawbacks like resale value and time involved, but perhaps an idea...

Here is a good place to start if curious.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 16
I agree with wmcmanus, he really is a nut
tongue.gif

You seem like a great candidate for a nearfield system. There has been a screaming deal out there on the Emu ps12/pm5 package for about $600. If you can still find it, it would be very tough to beat. Biamped satellites away from the walls plus a decent sub near a wall or corner can deliver amazing sound. It shortcuts the need for room tuning as well. Be careful though, your headphones will begin collecting dust.

For cables, get some Canare or Mogami cable, Neutrik XLR or Canare RCA connectors, and start soldering.

For now, you will have to use the 0404 for volume control. I do not like this approach, but it is free capability at the moment. At some point you can add anything from a passive balanced volume control (diy is an option here) to a dac/preamp combo. I really like the Presonus Central Station for the money.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back