Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #9,946 of 12,009
I just ordered the KXXX a week ago and now the KATO come out šŸ˜­. I'm also being told the blessing 2 Dusk is a lot better now, which was also in my budget. Anyone have any idea how the KXXX compares to the dusk? I own a lot of sub $300 iems (isn h40, kbear believe, penon orb, etc) and the starfields are by far my favorite so I'm hoping to find my sub 300 endgame in a starfield upgrade.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #9,947 of 12,009
Hello everyone. Quick question.

Does the moondrop sparks tws have differences in sound and features by color? If I understand correctly, the black one was released later as the international version... While the pink and purple ones were released earlier....
Itā€™s all same tuning to my understanding

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #9,948 of 12,009
I just ordered the KXXX a week ago and now the KATO come out šŸ˜­. I'm also being told the blessing 2 Dusk is a lot better now, which was also in my budget. Anyone have any idea how the KXXX compares to the dusk? I own a lot of sub $300 iems (isn h40, kbear believe, penon orb, etc) and the starfields are by far my favorite so I'm hoping to find my sub 300 endgame in a starfield upgrade.
Dusk indeed is a very nice IEM but seeing you owning Orb, I may still reconsider raising budget for Dusk to Variations though. Starfield and Dusk are both tuned close to Harman curve, Dusk / Variations with more sub-bass, and more focused 3khz pinna gain peaks than Starfield.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #9,949 of 12,009
1630664778452.png

KATO is equipped with a new independently developed U.T.L super-linear dynamic driver, which includes a more efficient composite magnetic circuit of inner and outer magnets, and a linear air circulation structure, the third-generation DLC composite diaphragm, and a larger copper inner-cavity.

Other than that, KATO has also added a replaceable tube design, and two metal tubes of different materials come along to increase the playability of sound.
looks very nice indeed

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #9,950 of 12,009
If the steel and brass tubes are the same shape, I have to wonder how much of an impact it will have on the sound. That said, I'm still very stoked to see a proper upgrade to the Kxxs. The original Kanas was one of my favorite IEMs until my pair eventually stopped working.

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #9,951 of 12,009
already too late , quit many time in these past 10 years (often works out of town, and sold all cans) , but keep coming back to this hell hole :beyersmile:
and last year came back again because saw an ads about moondrop SSR , and now already have more than 10 iems again
I promised myself that the Variations will be my endgame, yet I am still here searching for upgrade...
any suggestion? will S8 be worth upgrade?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #9,954 of 12,009
I couldn't agree more. I would definitely go for Variations plus it's noticably cheaper.
For me Variations was very source dependent.. or another way of thinking about it, is it is revealing of sources to a huge degree. Meaning, each source you feed them will sound slightly different. Not many iems are like that. I find it extraordinary.

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #9,955 of 12,009
My a4000 is coming today šŸ˜

I own the Starfield, Believe and the B2 (standard version). The B2 is the best of these by far, and is a direct upgrade to the Starfield. The Believe requires tinkering imo, but can be amazing.

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #9,956 of 12,009
Kato is now on sale @ shenzhenaudio and Moondropā€™s AE official store.

Pre-order comes a cable named ā€œkā€.
I placed preorder, hope itā€™s an upgraded Aria and KXXS!

https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...nology-dynamic-hifi-iem-with-detachable-cable
C4D8CEC6-3572-4D7C-9839-958D4634A865.png

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #9,957 of 12,009
I promised myself that the Variations will be my endgame, yet I am still here searching for upgrade...
any suggestion? will S8 be worth upgrade?
Softears RS10 but that thing costs $2100šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø
Not a good Return-on-Investment type of IEM also itā€™s still a 10BA IEM. layering surely will be the one that could surprise you, but dynamisms are with Variationā€™s tribrids side.
MEST MKII will be a good upgrade from Variations but I do need to think twice which bass I like more, I think I like Variations bass over MKIIā€™s.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #9,958 of 12,009
Softears RS10 but that thing costs $2100šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø
Not a good Return-on-Investment type of IEM also itā€™s still a 10BA IEM. layering surely will be the one that could surprise you, but dynamisms are with Variationā€™s tribrids side.
MEST MKII will be a good upgrade from Variations but I do need to think twice which bass I like more, I think I like Variations bass over MKIIā€™s.
How is the Variations compare to MEST MKII?

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #9,959 of 12,009
Hi guys!

A few months ago, the members here helped me choose Moondrop Aria.

After a few months, the IEM surprises me more and more. I lost count of how many hours of burn-in I've done so far, but one thing has been calling my attention: Aria's presentation of micro-details.

It's amazing, I just sometimes think my IEM is defective as actually the noises that occur in the microphone in a podcast for example.

Now my question is: is there any IEM in the $125 range that has more impact on the sub-bass and bass and has microdetail presentation in the mids (specifically on the vocals) or not? It doesn't have to be from Moondrop, but I'm asking here because this topic is very active.

I had thought about FiiO FD1 before Aria and now they've released FD3, but I've read that FD1 doesn't have as much microdetail presentation as Aria and FD3 doesn't have as much emphasis on bass. Maybe the FH3?

Thanks!
Friends, after reading everything here, I decided that I will invest in Blessing 2 Dusk for my endgame, because all reviews indicate that this IEM captures the details in the mids in an incredible way and also has an incredible tonal accuracy.

However, now I have another question: should I get Dusk? I've seen many reviews, but none say how the mids are in relation to vanilla. I read that Crinacle cut the mids down by about 2~3dbs to raise the bass a bit more. Does this mean that if I want even more tonal accuracy I should opt for vanilla?

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #9,960 of 12,009
How is the Variations compare to MEST MKII?
I can say a comprehensive upgrade except bass, bass they are almost on par, with MKII with better imaging, but Variations with better transient response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back