Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #11,956 of 11,979
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #11,957 of 11,979
I think it is meant more as an extra option you can chose to use, not something that is required. It seems like most of the reviewers like the IEM with the normal cable.
I think it is great that they include more options for us to choose between.
I only watched the YouTube reviews by non-gamers and (if not three) two of the more popular reviews preferred the default DSP setting.

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #11,958 of 11,979
I only watched the YouTube reviews by non-gamers and (if not three) two of the more popular reviews preferred the default DSP setting.

I've just finished watching Resolve's review,

He also says that the default prolife on the DSP cable is a lot better than the analogue profile, he also mentions that he wishes that they (Moondrop/Crin) had been able to achieve the sound of the defaut DSP profile in analogue form but this is also proof that EQ'ing is so important.

It's a hard one for me, I personally prefer no EQ, I like to listen to the raw hardware, but then I'm also open to the fact that this could well be the future, I accept DSP processing on my AV system to improve my in room response.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #11,959 of 11,979
Timmy also gives the presets to use with the analog cable.

I just downloaded his wavelet files and imported them on my M15s with the wavelet app.... works perfectly.. ( thanks Timmy ) I decided after importing them to test them out... and to my surprise I used the Linsoul 7Hz X Crinacle Zero:2 ( $24 ) IEM to test the presets... ha ha... not only do they import and play back, the presets made the Zero2 sound a heck of a lot better than any $24 IEM.... thats really cool... FYI... if you download the files Timmy made available I would suggest you download them and then rename them by getting rid of the " Wavelet " part of the name... it makes the EQ selection too busy... so just strip out the wording " Wavelet " then copy to your Android DAP.... then use the import function on the Wavelet app.... no DSP cable required then...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nST9NY9GY5GjwyvyDaVnI0qedH-BGNe8

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #11,960 of 11,979
Seems like you did want to say it…? Anyway, everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

Also it seems like you’re mostly just repeating what zeos said?

I personally like the tuning from the graph in its analogue form, and will likely be what I will primarily use it in.

Saying it has weird treble and weak bass, is just regurgitating what someone else has said, and ultimately it comes down to preference and tuning taste, right?

I have the mmk3 already, so no point buying the hype 4, which is basically a budget version of it.

The dusk in analogue is very similar to my Mirai on the graphs, with similar bass and the same upper treble peak (which is also very reminiscent of 64a).

IMG_2937.png
I personally prefer the Mirai over the mmk3.

I never understand the “iem a is better than b, so just get that instead”, as what about tuning preferences? That’s the most important thing to me. Not how someone else ranks them based on what they personally enjoy. It’s very much reddit behaviour.

Some people will like the dusk, some will love it, some will be disappointed and some will even hate it.

I don’t get why you should just get the hype4 or doscinco? What because that suits your preferences more so ergo it’s better for everyone else too? They have more bass and upper mids, some people will prefer that, others like me, prefer the measurement of the dusk.

IMG_2942.png
The dusk 2 tuning looks yummy. What’s the fuss about?

Apr 7, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #11,961 of 11,979
I've just finished watching Resolve's review,

He also says that the default prolife on the DSP cable is a lot better than the analogue profile, he also mentions that he wishes that they (Moondrop/Crin) had been able to achieve the sound of the defaut DSP profile in analogue form but this is also proof that EQ'ing is so important.

It's a hard one for me, I personally prefer no EQ, I like to listen to the raw hardware, but then I'm also open to the fact that this could well be the future, I accept DSP processing on my AV system to improve my in room response.

I used EQ quite a lot, but I always listen my IEMs (or HP) raw first… to understand what the manufacturer wants me to hear. If I don’t like it or don’t get it, I EQ to something that suits me and try to pay attention to other subtle differences.

I don’t think these DSP-enabled IEMs are that different: the manufacturer now has another tool (the DSP) to convey what they want you to hear. If the presets are well done, it may be multiple options to hear for—no different from swapping nozzles, or micro-switches, only a lot more open and flexible.

In the end, it’s still about an IEM, DSP-enabled in that case, and its “sound proposal”. The benefit is that, if you don’t like what the manufacturer proposes (the EQ presets), you’re free to set your own EQ—the DSP equivalent of a mod.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #11,964 of 11,979
should be mentioned that Audeze has had their version of the DSP cable for a few years now... thats how they got their In Ears to sound so good.... so its been around and it works quite well...
That’s a great point, as I think Audeze had (has?) quite a different approach. I have an iSine 10, and “as-is”, with an analog cable, it sounds absolutely garbage. But I think Audeze always intended them to be used with a DSP…

Moondrop did the same thing with The Droplet, an overlooked but excellent IEM IMO (single BA): it’s only available with a fixed DSP cable (no app, no EQ adjustment). I think Moondrop designed it with a DSP from day one, not as a fine-tuning afterthought accessory. The DSP was the only way to make that type of design sound right.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #11,967 of 11,979
Are other people getting messages from Moondrop's AE store to extend delivery times by 30 days?

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #11,968 of 11,979
Are other people getting messages from Moondrop's AE store to extend delivery times by 30 days?

When did you place the order? I’m not surprised though, as I get they’ve been overwhelmed with orders, and can’t fulfill them by the 15th.

I ordered mine on Shenzhenaudio AE store. They haven’t contacted me about extending - yet.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #11,969 of 11,979
They asked me for 15 extra

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #11,970 of 11,979
$15 sounds really sketchy. I got my FreeDSP cable today. To my surprise the app worked fine. It does not really do any amping so have to raise my volume on my phone 20% vs when using with DAC/Amp. Actually liking the Sound Stage + with bass boost in WaveLet. The cable is ok quality. The pins do go in better and sit more flush with the IEM than the 64 Audio cable I was using. I hope someone uploads the DSPs for the Dusk2 vs using the WaveLet files which I am going to try next. I have not tried Mic yet but have a Shure TW2 with SE846s for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back