Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #11,941 of 11,979
I dont want to say it... but after seeing a few reviews, Zeos, headphones.com gamesky, some written reviews and that who shall not be named.

this is the conclusion i got to,

The moondrop Crinicle dusk is not the product, its a flawed IEM with weird treble and weak bass thats corrected with a DSP cable, the star of the show is the DSP cable, not the IEM,

In that case, i would want moondrop to release the more advanced DSP cable on its own, the DSP cable that comes with the Dusk seems a lot more advanced then the one that comes with may or chu II DSP, maybe a version of the dusk DSP cable with a tunning thats less mated to dusk IEM, from the impression i got from reviews if you´re gonna run it analog or balanced without DSP, you´re better served going for something like the Hype 4 or Ziigat Dos Cinco.
Isn't every headphone "flawed" and correctable via EQ? Imagine if every headphone shipped with a DSP cable to improve the tuning or provide different profiles. It would be more or less the same story that the headphone sounds better with the DSP cable than without.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #11,942 of 11,979
Timmy also gives the presets to use with the analog cable.
PEQ Dusk.jpg

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #11,944 of 11,979
Isn't every headphone "flawed" and correctable via EQ? Imagine if every headphone shipped with a DSP cable to improve the tuning or provide different profiles. It would be more or less the same story that the headphone sounds better with the DSP cable than without.
This is going to be controversial for sure !!! :ksc75smile:
First, some “flaws” cannot be corrected—distortion, resonances, for example…

Moondrop (Quarks DSP, The Droplet, Jiu, May, Chu-II DSP, Dusk) and Tanchjim (Zero, One, Tanya) are definitely on this DSP path…

There are two ways to see it IMO:
  • Correcting an entry level IEM. When a manufacturer can’t achieve the desired signature (the “target”) with acceptable distortion, within the cost constraints they have, a DSP cable is not a bad option…
  • Offering different “profiles” as you said. Even an IEM offers 4 micro switches and 3 interchangeable nozzle filters, it pales in comparison to the range of adjustments you get from the 9x PEQ filters of a FreeDSP cable. A manufacturer can propose different “presets” of what they want you to hear/discover… and you still have the choice of doing your own EQ to your liking.
The flip side: these integrated DSP/DAC/Amp cables are not SOTA, and some audiophiles are gonna scream at how bad they are… My opinion: something like CDSP is fine for an entry-level IEM, and FreeDSP is fine… for almost any IEM.

And then, there is the USB-C topic: IMO, it is actually a lot more ubiquitous now than a 3.5mm or 4.4mm plug…

So, this is my “workflow” (a big word, I know…): first, I listen to my new IEMs “as-is”, or with the DSP (Qudelix, DAP) at zero (no correction), I then start to mess around—AutoEQ, exploring this & that, whatever…. When I get something I like, or something interesting (not necessarily flawless!), I load it into a CDSP or FreeDSP cable and I’m done! That IEM stays with the DSP cable attached to it, usable with any phone, PC, pretty much any DAP… until I decide to try something else.

This is a completely different mindset IMO !!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #11,945 of 11,979
What is the point of buying a Dusk2 if one already has a Blessing 3 if most of the differences are from the DSP cable except for the planar drivers? Much cheaper to buy a $30 cable than $350 IEMs.
Even in stock tuning it’s different to the blessing 3, with the sub bass increased and upper mids tamed - akin to the difference between blessing 2 and blessing 2 dusk.

IMG_2948.png

Of course if your only interested in the DSP tunings and already own the blessing 3, then it does make more sense to just buy the Free DSP cable for $30 and use it with the iem you already own.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #11,946 of 11,979
Ummm, not sure what to think about the DSD cable situation, what is the power output of the cable?

This is a bit annoying for those like myself that like to use their IEMs with their own amp/dac, Mojo 2 being my prefered choice, not sure I'm a fan of this trend from Moon drop, I think the product is a good idea on it's own but relying on it to correct the sound on your IEM, not so much.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #11,947 of 11,979
Ummm, not sure what to think about the DSD cable situation, what is the power output of the cable?

This is a bit annoying for those like myself that like to use their IEMs with their own amp/dac, Mojo 2 being my prefered choice, not sure I'm a fan of this trend from Moon drop, I think the product is a good idea on it's own but relying on it to correct the sound on your IEM, not so much.
I think it is meant more as an extra option you can chose to use, not something that is required. It seems like most of the reviewers like the IEM with the normal cable.
I think it is great that they include more options for us to choose between.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #11,949 of 11,979
For $30 I ordered just the cable to use with my Blessing 3s which I have only had for a month but got a really good deal on them - $235 new. I should have looked at the graphs before posting and now see there are some differences in tuning. If the cable and App which hopefully has/will be fixed works well I will consider buying Dusk2s down the road. I already have my end-game IEMs at least for now but only use them at home because they were expensive.

Apr 5, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #11,950 of 11,979
For $30 I ordered just the cable to use with my Blessing 3s which I have only had for a month but got a really good deal on them - $235 new. I should have looked at the graphs before posting and now see there are some differences in tuning. If the cable and App which hopefully has/will be fixed works well I will consider buying Dusk2s down the road. I already have my end-game IEMs at least for now but only use them at home because they were expensive.
The FreeDSP App "works"... it is just not great. But you should see FreeDSP for what it is: an "upgrade" cable. You set the PEQ to your liking... and then forget about the App, that's the whole point!
If you constantly fiddle with EQ, something like a Qudelix 5K is a much better option IMO...

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #11,955 of 11,979
So pc only? I see a link for iOS.
There is a TestFlight active for iOS version of Link 2.0, but don’t bother right now as it seems to be Bluetooth only. Does not detect the May no matter what I do. I have an Ambernic 405m that runs Android that I was able to sideload Link 2.0 on and it works with the May for now. Hopefully the iOS version adds USB support when it releases to all.

Link to TestFlight: https://departures.to/apps/14966

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back