Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
May 12, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #406 of 1,920
I will be turning it in this weekend so I expect it will probably end up on the June or July Headphone.guru review schedule.

May 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #407 of 1,920
Hey guys, I met a Moon Audio rep a couple weeks back and asked him some technical questions via email. Figured I should share the responses...

- I get the transconductance thing... basically that's a voltage to current conversion, so how does the amp account for the impedance peaks found in dynamic headphones? (Sennheisers and Beyerdynamic are probably the worst culprits), because that usually leads to a voltage output which follows the impedance curve, resulting in a skewed frequency response
The amplifier operates using a proprietary topology where most of the gain is made in transconductance mode, but at the very end of the output stage it is converted back into a voltage output and thus avoids any weird behavior with load impedances as you were hinting at.  You might have noticed, we have never stated ‘current mode output’; you made this incorrect (although admittedly legitimate) assumption yourself.  
- is the transconductance accomplished via IC solution (if so, can you disclose the device?) or an in-house discrete design?
The transconductance section in the Nēo 430HA is an in-house discrete design optimized for the best audio performance.  We know that there are false advertisements or statements within our industry about various technical feats, and many plays on words are quickly made when electronic design is the topic. We proudly design our products without making the compromises that others are willing to do to save money.

- the optional dac add-on... is it based on an existing product? if so, which?
- regarding the DSD capabilities, is the decoding/filtering/etc done on a separate board from the pcm? what components are shared between them?
There is one DAC board in the Nēo 430HA, so all digital-to-analog conversion happens there.  Many parts are shared between the two working modes, but the DSD is processed natively and is not converted to PCM prior to analog conversion. This board is not based on any other MOON product.  This DAC engine will shortly be offered as an upgrade DAC option on other products too.

- your ad-copy says fully balanced, but balanced in the headphone and hifi world is one of the most misused words in the industry (right up there with class-A). What makes the output balanced and not merely bridged? Is the actual amplification topology balanced throughout, or only converted at the inputs/outputs?
Let say you start with a digital audio source in the Nēo 430HA; the signal will be balanced right from the very beginning of its analog life, straight from the DAC + and - outputs, and stay balanced for the whole signal path, including volume control circuit, up until it reaches the XLR pins on the front panel.   Now for a deeper understanding there are the nuances between balanced differential as opposed to bridged configuration, and all of this is subject to debate.  However, based upon what I feel is your definition, the signal path is fully balanced differential up to the output stage where it then reaches a bridged configuration comprised of independent but identical circuits.  This is a whole lot better than pretty much everything else in the market.

May 13, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #408 of 1,920
Interesting stuff. I won't pretend that I understand all the technical ins and outs above - I don't
wink_face.gif

I do understand how well the 430HA drives my HE6 and HD800 and how good the sound is combined with the Auralic Vega DAC.

This is a fantastic amp and one of my best audio purchases. My Taurus Mk2, as good as it is, is now sitting on a shelf as my solid state "back up amp" just in case of disaster, or the unlikely need for a second amp/preamp.

May 13, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #409 of 1,920

This is a fantastic amp and one of my best audio purchases. My Taurus Mk2, as good as it is, is now sitting on a shelf as my solid state "back up amp" just in case of disaster, or the unlikely need for a second amp/preamp.

Hello ebay.....

May 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #410 of 1,920
May 14, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #413 of 1,920
Did you see the new $15k USD DAC they annouced at Munich?

May 15, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #416 of 1,920
after first 70 hours: lot of treble, small bass, bit nervous reproduction;
Hope all that schiit will stay away soon....
angry_face.gif

May 25, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #417 of 1,920
250 hours.....

darthsmile.gif

May 26, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #420 of 1,920

It will continue to get better :¬)

How is it with the 777SE? I have a Yggy on order but still tempted by it!

still in the burning area....too early to judge
While I'm really happy with 280D DSD (a real surprise!): really stunning price/ratio performance!
In combo with 430HA, we are really near an end game solution...
Or maybe I have just landed at a real end game solution!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back