Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
May 9, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #391 of 1,920
The fact that it has no balanced preamp has turned me off!
I never tried unbalaned and I am afraid that it affects the sound quality. What do u think?

Also the fact that u find it a little harsh before 100 hours, might be a problem!
The 430 has SAPRE DAC which is well known for being a non musical DAC (honest or bright). This might create a DAC Amp combo that is too bright.

Please keep in mind that the DAC chip used in the circuit is only part of the overall sonic equation; The power supply and the analog stage play a significant role in the sonic signature as well. Given Simaudio's reputation for power supplies, I think that this would impart a very positive impact on the sound of the 430HA's optional DAC. Also, the analog stages used in their other DAC offerings (750D and 380D) are known to be un-colored & accurate, implying that the sonic signature of the recording will dictate the amount of harshness you hear.

May 9, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #392 of 1,920
The 430 is a Headphone amp with some pre-amp functionality. It is not a Pre-Amp with a headphone circuit. If you need a Balanced Pre-Amp they make one that is highly regarded.

As to the burn in time, most high end gear needs a little time. Nothing new here. Audio Research gear needs a good 600 hours to get to their best.

I would also stop applying the much used comments about the Sabre DAC chips as non musical, bright or whatever. There are many successful implementations of the ESS chips. It is not the chip, it is the implementation. The Simaudio approach with their add on board is a very good price performance option.

This is a reference headphone amp with a quality DAC option. The question is what are you seeking?

May 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #393 of 1,920
  The 430 is a Headphone amp with some pre-amp functionality. It is not a Pre-Amp with a headphone circuit. If you need a Balanced Pre-Amp they make one that is highly regarded.

I would also stop applying the much used comments about the Sabre DAC chips as non musical, bright or whatever. There are many successful implementations of the ESS chips. It is not the chip, it is the implementation. ...

The 430HA has a pedigree from the 740P - many shared components and technologies according to the Simaudio white paper on the 430HA. It does a very fine job as a preamp (mine gets 90% usage as a preamp rather than a headamp).

Totally agree on the chip implementation. I have 2 DACs - a Moon 100D that uses Burr-Brown chips, and an Auralic Vega that uses the Sabre. The 100D can tend to harshness / brightness at times. I have to pair it with my WA6 with warm driver tubes (National Union 6F8Gs) to keep the tonality in check. The Vega is highly musical and lovely sounding - no harshness in that beast.

It isn't the chip, it what the designers do with it. Perhaps it is more difficult to get a good result from the Sabre chip - but it certainly is not impossible.

May 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #396 of 1,920

Another review in this months (last months?) hi-fi+. This reviewer used lcd-3 and abyss in his review.

tl;dr? :¬)

http://www.simaudio.com/DATA/TEXTEDOC/Hi-Fi-Plus-UK-201503-Neo430HA.pdf

wink.gif

May 12, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #399 of 1,920
  No probs!  The 430 sounded great on my brief listen at the UK meet last month.  Potentially on my radar for a big upgrade this year. Great to hear everyone else has good things to say about it!

It's an incredible machine, over the moon with it ;¬)

Pairs wonderfully with the Abyss.

I'm using the in-built dac at the moment, which is marvellous. I have a Yggy on order so will be fun to A/B them when it arrives in July.

One thing to note - as the review mentions, it really sings after 250/300 hours. The wonderful control, depth and musicality is worth waiting for!

May 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #400 of 1,920
Great machine.
This one has two competitors (amp only side): I'm speaking of the Mass Kobo and Heada Aurorasound.

May 12, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #401 of 1,920
auto welcome aboard!!! 
o2smile.gif

first minutes of newborn....

May 12, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #402 of 1,920
The HiFi+ review was by Chris Martens. We had a nice conversation about the 430 at dinner at CanJam in March.

May 12, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #403 of 1,920
  auto welcome aboard!!! 
o2smile.gif

first minutes of newborn....

Nice combo!

The HiFi+ review was by Chris Martens. We had a nice conversation about the 430 at dinner at CanJam in March.

Any ETA on your own review? Looking forward to your impressions! :¬)

May 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #404 of 1,920

Nice combo!

almost impossible to listen now.... started right now the long run to the Light, with the collaboration of good old Grado 80 sacrificied for the job!
Back to Liquid Glass for now, with some tube rolling...

May 12, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #405 of 1,920
  almost impossible to listen now.... started right now the long run to the Light, with the collaboration of good old Grado 80 sacrificied for the job!
Back to Liquid Glass for now, with some tube rolling...

Patience, and all that malarky! :¬)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back