Monteverdi's Vespro della beata Vergine
Jul 28, 2005 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
I have had two versions if this work - a 2 CD set - both from harmonia mundi. Both have featured excellent performances but with some distortion.

The most recent one was conducted by Rene' Jacobs with the Nederlands Kamekoor.

I think the distortion is intermodulation (IM) distortion, and it irritates in some passages.

Can anyone recommend a better one with good sound quality?

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 71
I think the version to beat still remains the 1990 Gardiner/Archiv:

B0000057DL.01._PE10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I have tried a few other highly rated versions, but have sold all but one because they fell well short of Gardiner......This demands to be heard in room filling full stereo sound, the spacious recording in St Marks Venice has huge 3D soundstage.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 71
I own both of them, Gardiner and Savall. And I prefer Savall by far. More lively and 'mediterranean'.
Have someone Garrido's performance? I like his
Monterverdi operas.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 71
Since I posted that, someone told me that the Savall Vespro has been re-released in a moderate priced package (?) in this form:

353348.JPG

It's the same recording, but a different picture on the cover. It's two cds and is available at Amazon for about 29.00 new. That's not moderate price by any stretch of my imagination!

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 71
I also have both Gardiner & Savall in new package Bunny just posted.

Still I prefer Gardiner, main difference is scale of performance. The Savall is smaller more intimate peformance as if in small chapel, the Gardiner is imense sounding by comparison with much larger sense of scale......so depends what you are looking for I guess.

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 71
DarkAngel,

Actually, the Savall was recorded in San Marco, so I don't know about small scale. It also has the plainsong included on the recording which would have been part of the performance in Monteverdi's time. I don't know if Monteverdi specified which plainsong was to be used, but I find the recording very warm and as Shosta has said, Mediterranean in flavor.

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 71
Btw, has anyone heard or seen Savall's dvd of Monteverdi's Orfeo? It was broadcast recently on Discovery Hd and it was just great. A nice change from the BBC Proms, anyway.

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 71
Damn.

I'll have to get both.

I do appreciate the input - very valuable as I like the work.

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Damn.
I'll have to get both.

I do appreciate the input - very valuable as I like the work.

That's the spirit.......give us a report once you audition them.

Jul 30, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Btw, has anyone heard or seen Savall's dvd of Monteverdi's Orfeo? It was broadcast recently on Discovery Hd and it was just great. A nice change from the BBC Proms, anyway.

it is wonderful, among the top two/three opera DVDs I own: technically it is demonstration level, artistically it is the best thing I have seen/heard from Savall (and this to me is saying a lot).
Especially the first two acts have a dramatic tension that is unbelievable for XVI century music [edit: actually it is from 1607
redface.gif
). The famous fanfare that opens the opera is performed with power and creativity, and when, during the second act, the Messenger (Sara Mingardo at her best) brings the bad news to Orfeo it is hard not to be moved to tears. Somehow, the second part of the opera is not as involving but still very good stuff...

Aug 15, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 71
Aug 15, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
This 2004 edition from the Naive label is top rated. I can only find one source to buy and it is $35 (ouch!).

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...&sql=43:121764

yeah that is the same price andante sells it for
http://www.andante.com/boutique/shop...iProductID=739
I am a big fan of Alessandrini but I am not sure I "get" his reading of the Vespro. OK it is an intimate interpretation, but I was expecting a little bit more fizz, more theatre. I'd go with the "traditional" Gardiner reading on this one...

Aug 15, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf
I am a big fan of Alessandrini but I am not sure I "get" his reading of the Vespro. OK it is an intimate interpretation, but I was expecting a little bit more fizz, more theatre. I'd go with the "traditional" Gardiner reading on this one...

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back