Monster SuperTips; gel and foam about the same size?
Aug 10, 2010 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
On Amazon.com there's a choice between the Small, and a combo of Small + Medium. I'd rather go for a full pack of one size, but I'm not sure if the Medium Foam can be directly compared in size to the Medium Gel.

Personally I'm kind of between the fitting of the Gel small and medium; the small is almost perfect but a pinch too tiny, and the medium is a bit too large; it tends to fall out in one ear but fits snugly in the other.

I'm hoping that the foam version will compress better, so I can end up with the Medium, but I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on $30 worth of tips. I know there are some people on here who own both kinds of SuperTips, so I'm fishing for some first-hand experience answers.

Thanks everyone
smile.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 12
You can go a bit bigger on the Foams than the Gels no problem.  So medium foam should be like between small and medium gel.

Are you just buying the tips or using monster pros also?  There are other options for Monster pro phones as well.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
You can go a bit bigger on the Foams than the Gels no problem.  So medium foam should be like between small and medium gel.

Are you just buying the tips or using monster pros also?  There are other options for Monster pro phones as well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have the MTPG, and I'm pretty much set on using these tips, unless something new (as in, the last few months
tongue.gif
) and arguably better has hit the scene.

Aug 10, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 12
Aug 10, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 12
Intriguing, I'll poke around the forums to see what I can find. Thanks for the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
These are out of stock atm but this is a nice set that fits perfectly on the Monsters.  They open up and balance out the sound IMO.

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11+cl-mee.htm 

Pretty nice addition to the arsenal.

These sound similar to the auvio (radioshack) extra tips, but with a little more isolation. Unfortunately, for me at least, they come off the nozzle, leaving them deeply in my ear canals!!! So, caveat emptor.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
On Amazon.com there's a choice between the Small, and a combo of Small + Medium. I'd rather go for a full pack of one size, but I'm not sure if the Medium Foam can be directly compared in size to the Medium Gel.

Personally I'm kind of between the fitting of the Gel small and medium; the small is almost perfect but a pinch too tiny, and the medium is a bit too large; it tends to fall out in one ear but fits snugly in the other.

I'm hoping that the foam version will compress better, so I can end up with the Medium, but I want to be sure before I pull the trigger on $30 worth of tips. I know there are some people on here who own both kinds of SuperTips, so I'm fishing for some first-hand experience answers.

Thanks everyone
smile.gif

I find the foam supertips to be just slightly smaller than the gels, probably due to how the tip shape interacts with my ear canals. YMMV

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 12

Here are some comparison photos that I hope you will find helpful.
This first photo shows the two smallest sizes of each type.  Foams are on top, Gel on the bottom.This second image shows the same tips standing upright next to each other.  The foams are on the right, gel on the left.
Third picture is next sizes up.  Again, Foam on top, gel on bottom
Fourth and fifth photos, same tips, upright.  This photo also includes what seems to be an extra size of tips on the gels; they are farthest left.  Middle is gel, right is foam.
I'm not posting the largest size, the light silver, as you said you were wearing small/medium.  I can post those if you want, however.  

I've never posted photos on these forums before, please let me know if there are problems, if I need to adjust size, etc.

Aug 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 12
Also remember that the gel tips do not compress very much in the ear - I usually use mediums in both ears but with the gels I had to use a small in my left ear as it is slightly smaller than my right. Most tips will conform to the shape of my left ear well enough, but these aren't as much so. That's probably why they have so many sizes of the gel tips, because each size covers a smaller range of ear canal sizes.

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
These sound similar to the auvio (radioshack) extra tips, but with a little more isolation. Unfortunately, for me at least, they come off the nozzle, leaving them deeply in my ear canals!!! So, caveat emptor.

The auvio or the meelec tips come off in your ear?  Never had that problem myself w/ the meelecs.  

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks everybody for the input, and especially ShyFroggy for the huge pictures. I'm able to draw a better size/fit conclusion based off of them.

Oddly enough, as I was looking for the gel SuperTips to put on my MTPG today, I found out that I lost them, both the medium and large sizes. So I guess I'll be pulling the trigger on these sooner than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back