Monster Copper harsh highs?
Jul 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
I just find out that the highs on Monster Copper is rather harsh and really bright on some music. Maybe because I'm just used to the Sennheiser IEs. Maybe it's due to they are a lot more forward than IEs? I found them almost unbearable on << The Islander>> by nightwish and the ending of << My immortal>> by Amy Lee

Any one? 

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Harsh highs can be a sign of a bad seal (causes low-grade, forward-sounding mids).  Try obtaining a better seal with 3rd party tips or play with included ones.  If you still have trouble getting a good seal, try the Sensaphoincs seal test. 

It can also be the dimensions of your ears as well (if it is, any monster turbine would reproduce this) where the IEM is the perfect distance from your eardrum [for a certain frequency] where it'll resonate and cause a screeching noise that is amplified beyond belief rather than play normally. 

The final thing it can be is a defective product.  Get a replacement from Monster if you find this is the case.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 9
The over all sound is actually pretty good, very detailed and faster than my IE7/8. However, on some Rock songs the Cymbal  are getting really annoying and guitar at some point... 

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
The over all sound is actually pretty good, very detailed and faster than my IE7/8. However, on some Rock songs the Cymbal  are getting really annoying and guitar at some point... 

Hm, that is either a property of the IEMs themselves (I don't own any of the Turbine Series), or it's the resonance in the certain frequency range that is causing this.  A resonant sound can only occur in a special situation where your eardrum is a certain distance from the source of sound (The IEMs).  Any other distance and the resonant sound wouldn't occur.  This happens to me with the MEE A151s (same area, guitar, cymbals, and the singer from Hawthorne Heights)

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 9
Hmm i'll check on that

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 9
How many hours do you have on them? Give them 100hours of playtime at reasonably high volume (not in your ears). Keep in mind they will always be brighter than some other earphones.

Use foam eartips such as comply brand foams to take the bite out of the treble. It's a tried-and-true method.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 9
The Foam could do that? I wil lthat, I brought a pair of used one, not sure how many hours on them, i was kinda hoping it's still eligible for that one time replacement though. There is not just bite, i think at some point the peak in treble almost completely cover everything up, There is no detail or music left over to tell 

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Everything else is pretty good though.... The bass is nice although I kinda miss the vocal on IEs 

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
The Foam could do that? I wil lthat, I brought a pair of used one, not sure how many hours on them, i was kinda hoping it's still eligible for that one time replacement though. There is not just bite, i think at some point the peak in treble almost completely cover everything up, There is no detail or music left over to tell 

Yes, foams are known to give more bass quantity and texture, but also tame the highs a little (you'll lose quantity, detail, maybe some clarity as well).  This may be just what you're looking for though if you don't like brightness.  Best of luck getting your Turbines to sound the way you would like.  You can also try to EQ them and tune down the highs.  That would be the other way to go.

Keep burning them in though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back