Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,011 of 8,051
I'm sorry for your loss. That sounds awful and unexpected.

Awkward segue, the more I listen to these headphones the better they get. I'm starting to really believe in brain burn-in. And at first I thought these were a little bass-light, but I'm seeing more and more that they are just perfect for me. The bass is tight and precise and very present! I'm in love :revolving_hearts:

Wanted to ask about the L/R connectors actually. I don't see any indicators on the headphones themselves, only on the wires.

This is normal correct?

Yes, this is normal!

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,012 of 8,051
Yup, no L/R indicators.  No one gonna boss us around and tell us which earpad goes where! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,013 of 8,051
Very sorry for your loss.

I got chills down my spine reading the cause of death, due to a fairly recent similar event in my life.

Last year my aunt was sent to the hospital; the doctors tried test after test, with no results. Her systems started shutting down one by one, including her kidneys, and she went into a coma. 

Thankfully, they were eventually able to determine the cause and treat it accordingly. The cause? An abcessed tooth. My uncle (her husband) mentioned it in an off-hand way and that got them looking into it, leading to them discovering the tooth infection was poisoning her whole body.

So sorry that your friend didn't make it; I hope he wasn't in too much pain when he went. I also hope I'm not making things harder for you, I just wanted to let you know I can relate to what you're going through.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

apparently tooth infections kill or damage more people than anyone would expect. As much as people hate going to the dentist, it's imperative to do so. I go a few times a year and never hesitate if I'm having an issue.

I'm fine taking about it, so no worries there. He's in a better place, it's just the survivors dealing with the loss. His family is struggling, so remaining strong, and helping how I can, helps.

Glad they helped your aunt. Even with medicine as advanced as it is, they still may not be able to help in time. It's great seeing doctors save lives!

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #2,014 of 8,051
apparently tooth infections kill or damage more people than anyone would expect. As much as people hate going to the dentist, it's imperative to do so. I go a few times a year and never hesitate if I'm having an issue.

I'm fine taking about it, so no worries there. He's in a better place, it's just the survivors dealing with the loss. His family is struggling, so remaining strong, and helping how I can, helps.

Glad they helped your aunt. Even with medicine as advanced as it is, they still may not be able to help in time. It's great seeing doctors save lives!

I have no issues going to the dentist whenever I have the chance (haven't had a chance for a while now though). Personally I've never seen what the big deal is with doing so *shrug*.

I'm glad too, and I hope it opened their eyes to be a bit more thoughtful themselves. I know it made my aunt and uncle more careful with their health, but I hope the doctors too realized sometimes you have to pay more attention.

Either way, I hope this thread and Head-Fi in general can help you stay strong and keep going 
beerchug.gif

Back on topic (while still keeping with the good/encouraging vibes); I got some good hi-fi-related news today: I finally found a store relatively nearby to me that has the LCD-line for demo. Now I can get a taste of this sound that people are describing when they talk about the M1060's sound sig.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,015 of 8,051
Got the 1060's yesterday and was listening to them on and off all day. My first impressions are pretty good. These cans reveal lots of detail and have a neutral sound signiture that borders on being almost bright. The low end is very good and sounds tight and right with no boominess. The body is very good as well (unsurprising since it's a planar). So far I think these cans offer a terrific a value for the price but I do feel their build is a bit flimsy.

PS: No cracks as of today (crosses fingers)

There are two caveats I have though. One of them is the ever so "slightly bright" sound signiture and the other is "sound stage openness". 

These cans have a more upfront presentation and don't feel as airy or open as I'm use to.  (They present depth excellently though!)

A possible solution is to get the Vegan pads but I'm not sure I want to void the warranty as of right now. :tongue_smile:  

PS: Source used was a Chord Mojo (PC > Intona > Regen> Mojo)

Monoprice already said warranty won't be void with pad change unless it results in headphones being damaged with the change

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,016 of 8,051
 I highly doubt these are clones. They are most likely the same headphone as the M1060. There are several large factories in China that make tons of electronics. They sell to large volume retailers. If you do in depth research, you will find that there can be up to 20 different television models produced on the same assembly line. They change the appearance and slap a different name on each model for the market. You will probably see a proliferation of such "clones" if this headphone/price point is profitable. 

I thought I read on a forum post that the driver in the Tidal Force is the same size as the M560...easy enough to check but I'm mobile at the moment.
:wink:

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,017 of 8,051
Take a look at my signature...lol I definitely support them in a big way.

Talking about your signature can you tell me how well the m1060 goes together with your project ember ? :wink:

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #2,018 of 8,051
I'm sorry for your loss. That sounds awful and unexpected.

Awkward segue, the more I listen to these headphones the better they get. I'm starting to really believe in brain burn-in. And at first I thought these were a little bass-light, but I'm seeing more and more that they are just perfect for me. The bass is tight and precise and very present! I'm in love :revolving_hearts:
Yes, this is normal!

They are not bass light at all. They have plenty of bass, especially when a track is bass heavy.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,020 of 8,051

Oh okay must have missed it. Are there any downsides to getting the Vegan pads? 

Also @cskippy what does the paper towel mod do again?

The main thing holding me back on changing the pads is my worry about something breaking (wood cups cracking,connector issue). If I have to send them back the new pads would make it more of a headache. Ripping the Vegan pads off and putting the stock back on seems like a pain. I will consider it in the future but right now the 1060 sounds great as is.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,022 of 8,051

Oh okay must have missed it. Are there any downsides to getting the Vegan pads? 

Also @cskippy what does the paper towel mod do again?

No downsides to Vegans, except they will be smoother and slightly darker sounding.  Paper towel mod remedies this.  Also, tried the paper towel mod with stock pads...not bad!  

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #2,023 of 8,051
Talking about your signature can you tell me how well the m1060 goes together with your project ember ? :wink:

There's too much gain on my original Ember upgraded with Supercharger.  On the highest OI it's just manageable.  I think the newer Embers have a lower gain option that would be highly advisable.  I can barely get past pot imbalance with the majority of my headphones on Low or Medium OI settings.  

As far as sound quality, Ember has an immediate "Wow!" factor.  Upon closer examination things start to become apparent such as such as it's slightly bloomy lower end and forced sound yet not resolving all of the finer details.  It's subtle and without A/Bing might go unnoticed to most.  For the money, the Garage1217 amps are good, and they're made in the USA.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2,025 of 8,051
Yes it does smooth it out some.  Raises low bass slightly, lowers 1kHz bump, and raises the lower treble so that it's better integrated with the rest of the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back