Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 26, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #796 of 8,051
  COMPARISON TO LCD2 IMAGES

I pulled out my LCD2s and took some images side by side.  It is clear Monoprice was trying for similar headphones to the LCD2.

BTW, looking at the pix, the M1060 looks similar to a pre-fazor LCD3 with the 9 slits.  Credit photo from http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/spectacularly-yummy-audeze-lcd-2-and-lcd-3-page-2

Now I find THIS very interesting! The construction looks more similar to pre-Fazor LCD3....but it's missing the rectangular piece of foam? Or am I missing something else?

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #797 of 8,051
Random question.  Could you replace the backplate on the M1060 with the backplate from the Fazor LCD-2's with the wider spaces between slats? I wonder if that would affect the sound at all?

Edit: Or adding the foam from the LCD-3?

Edit 2: is it possible to 3d print a fazor-style frontplate for the m1060? 

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #798 of 8,051
Feb 26, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #799 of 8,051
Measurements actually look quite good. I'd love to try them next to the newest LCD-2s.

Monoprice actually copied the LCD-2 so well that they also found a way to mess up the version 1.0 connectors :^)

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #800 of 8,051
Maybe one thing that better over HE-500 is easier to drive since HE-500 is hard to drive and need serious power to drive where M1060 much easier to drive if I understood correctly.

Edit: Another advantage is that HE-500 is very uncomfortable and heavy as hell and M1060 would be noticeably more comfortable to wear in long hours of listening time..

I guess I'm luckily I'm that my 500s fit really well on my head, the headband fits just right and distributes the weight. They do have weight to them however it's not not too much that it bothers me. The LCD series on the other hand... Those felt too heavy.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #802 of 8,051
  Does anyone even make balanced MMCX to 4-pin XLR cables?

@PETEREK maybe. He is a community modder/builder vs bigger companies.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lee from VE would be willing to make it as he's started making his own cables.  I should hopefully get my HD700 to 2.5mm TRRS cable in not too long.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #803 of 8,051

I wouldn't be surprised if Lee from VE would be willing to make it as he's started making his own cables.  I should hopefully get my HD700 to 2.5mm TRRS cable in not too long.

Sorry if I'm a bit lazy for not checking the thread, but did you order a 1060. I'd be very interested in your comparisons with the HD700

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #805 of 8,051
  Problem with pad rolling is if they are glued/ must be glued down, that makes switching pads around difficult.

Actually, not really.  Headphone pads don't need to be very strongly secured to the headphone, especially if you wear them with any amount of clamp on your head.  And you probably do, because you don't want your headphones to be so loose they fall off. I'm going to definitely try some different pads myself.  I see the openings are oval shaped which is great, but I wonder how much free space my ears will have.  I've always preferred velour because I think it feels better.

What I mean by that, with a little careful finagling, you can try the sound on a pair of pads without actually attaching them.

The problem with these being glued down, from what I have read in this thread is they are glued down excessively.  I wonder  how hard the pads are to remove in a manner that would let you re-attach them if you ended up deciding to use them after trying others.

There are also options such as using velcro tape, and for an even more robust but still interchangable option, 3m makes a sticker that is strong enough to hold picture frames that you apply to both sides and it works/looks like a much stronger version of velcro.  You could padroll to your hearts content using that style of tape and the connection is so secure they would NEVER fall off.

I'm not sure if I want to cancel my order or not, but I'm really disappointed in the cable connection.   It's been beaten to death in this thread but mmcx does not look stable to me at all, and I also don't understand why they would include such a short cable, especially one with an unthreaded 90 degree angle minijack.

I think I have purchased about 20 pairs of headphones in my life, and the only kind of headphones that did not come with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter were IEM's/earbuds. I probably have an adapter that will work, but I know most of them won't.  90 degree angle connector is also a little disappointing but in reality it doesn't bother me so much.

The storage case looks nice.

And they apparently smell great, so all complaints about the mmcx connectors are forgiven.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #806 of 8,051

Actually, not really.  Headphone pads don't need to be very strongly secured to the headphone, especially if you wear them with any amount of clamp on your head.  And you probably do, because you don't want your headphones to be so loose they fall off. I'm going to definitely try some different pads myself.  I see the openings are oval shaped which is great, but I wonder how much free space my ears will have.  I've always preferred velour because I think it feels better.

What I mean by that, with a little careful finagling, you can try the sound on a pair of pads without actually attaching them.

The problem with these being glued down, from what I have read in this thread is they are glued down excessively.  I wonder  how hard the pads are to remove in a manner that would let you re-attach them if you ended up deciding to use them after trying others.

There are also options such as using velcro tape, and for an even more robust but still interchangable option, 3m makes a sticker that is strong enough to hold picture frames that you apply to both sides and it works/looks like a much stronger version of velcro.  You could padroll to your hearts content using that style of tape and the connection is so secure they would NEVER fall off.

I'm not sure if I want to cancel my order or not, but I'm really disappointed in the cable connection.   It's been beaten to death in this thread but mmcx does not look stable to me at all, and I also don't understand why they would include such a short cable, especially one with an unthreaded 90 degree angle minijack.

I think I have purchased about 20 pairs of headphones in my life, and the only kind of headphones that did not come with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter were IEM's/earbuds. I probably have an adapter that will work, but I know most of them won't.  90 degree angle connector is also a little disappointing but in reality it doesn't bother me so much.

And they apparently smell great, so all complaints about the mmcx connectors are forgiven.

Totally agree on what you said about the pads. The Audeze LCD pads are stuck down too but I don't see many people complain about them. I guess there's no way of creating a mounting mech on the wood cups?

The high end Shure headphones such as the SRH1540 uses MMCX connectors also, not sure whether the connectors they use are of higher quality so they are less prone to cutting out?

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #807 of 8,051
Also, looking forward to day 2 impressions with a little bit of burn in.

I second this 
L3000.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #808 of 8,051

I requested a cancellation, but it may be too late. Probably depends on if they packed my order up or not. They looked fantastic and I was worried they'd run out, but the connection and headpad situation bothers me. If I ever want to replace the pads, it probably has to be sent in or I have to mess with gluing them on. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #809 of 8,051

I requested a cancellation, but it may be too late. Probably depends on if they packed my order up or not. They looked fantastic and I was worried they'd run out, but the connection and headpad situation bothers me. If I ever want to replace the pads, it probably has to be sent in or I have to mess with gluing them on. 

I kind of had the urge to cancel after I first heard about the connector issue. I'm going to give them a chance though. They do come with a 5 year warranty, which is a major determining factor for me. If it weren't for the five years, I would have sent them back no matter how good they sounded. Outside of the 5 years I could just hard wire the connection, which should be relatively simple. 

The pads being a glued is a disappointment but I can live with it. The headphone they are copying glues their pads on too.

Judging from the early measurements and impressions these headphones look like an outstanding value.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #810 of 8,051
  I kind of had the urge to cancel after I first heard about the connector issue. I'm going to give them a chance though. They do come with a 5 year warranty, which is a major determining factor for me. If it weren't for the five years, I would have sent them back no matter how good they sounded. Outside of the 5 years I could just hard wire the connection, which should be relatively simple. 

The pads being a glued is a disappointment but I can live with it. The headphone they are copying glues their pads on too.

Judging from the early measurements and impressions these headphones look like an outstanding value.

I think it's an entirely different situation if you're a modder, for sure. If you're going into the purchase with a willingness to mod them, it sounds like a no-brainer purchase. I know how to solder and I am sure I would be able to get my own cables or connector in the phones, I just don't want to lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back