Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,581 of 8,051
  Like many of you, I'm still having a hard time deciding if I should take the plunge on the M1060 in favor of other cans. Right now, my consideration list includes:

- Q701 (my current cans with bass port mod)
- K712
- HE-400i
- M1060

While I'm quite happy with the Q701m, I'm tempted by the reports that say, while the modded Q701 is close to the K712, the 712s are slightly better balanced in the mids/low-mids, tamed highs, and a further improved/focused soundstage without losing any of the detail and excitement I have with the Q701m. These improvements sound tasty given that it sounds like an even further refined version of what I already love.

I am in the same situation.  I also have the Q701.  I ended up ordering the Anniversary pads, and have pretty much decided on getting the 1060 if I can snatch a pair before they sell out in the next batch.  I sort of fell out of love with the Q701 recently.  Since I got my NT6 Pro the treble of the Q701 sounds really grating to me.  I'm hoping the 1060 will do it for me if I can get some.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,582 of 8,051
  Like many of you, I'm still having a hard time deciding if I should take the plunge on the M1060 in favor of other cans. Right now, my consideration list includes:

- K712
- HE-400i
- M1060

While I'm quite happy with the Q701m, I'm tempted by the reports that say, while the modded Q701 is close to the K712, the 712s are slightly better balanced in the mids/low-mids, tamed highs, and a further improved/focused soundstage without losing any of the detail and excitement I have with the Q701m. These improvements sound tasty given that it sounds like an even further refined version of what I already love.

Of course with many heralding the 400i as some of the best mid-fi cans, I decided to borrow some to compare to my Q701m. So far I'm finding them to have more similarities than differences, however, I'm surprised to discover that the AKGs have more low end impact (with the bass mod) than the 400i (given the planar bass reputation.) The 400i does seem to produce a more consistently cohesive presentation (balanced and accurate imaging, etc.) and a soundstage that doesn't get too cluttered or congested. I also like the fact that the Hifimans seem to be a bit less intense on the highs while still keeping most of the upper end details and very minimal veil. I tend to avoid any headphones that have a dark nature, having sold my pair of HD6XX for this very reason. This leads me to my main question:

I know impressions tend to be wildly subjective at times, but due to conflicting reports, should the M1060 be considered darker than 400i?

I'm really just looking for a balance between the slightly wider soundstage and excellent impact/excitement/detail of the Q701m and the more balanced/organized/less-congested imaging with tamed sibilance of the 400i. I'm quite certain that with my current gear synergy, that I wouldn't want anything darker/warmer than the 400i having a strong preference for a balance of full and detailed. At this point I'm not sure if the K712 or the M1060 would be a better pick. Unless the majority feel as though the M1060 would be even less in my desired direction than the 400i...

In the end I might just have to buy both the M1060 and K712 and return one or both, but I figured get some input first as I'd like to avoid any unnecessary hassles.

Interestingly, I've owned the Q701's, without any mods, for almost 3 years. I love them for when I'm looking for a huge soundstage and the clarity they offer. I find them very nicely balanced as is. I'm not a bass head, and after playing in louder bands for 50 years, my hearing, although tested quite good, pretty well drops off after 14-15 khz. I bought the 1060's and fell in love with them immediately, except for the spike in the upper vocal range, which the Vegans tamed quite nicely. The low end, as drooled over endlessly throughout the comments here, is like I've never heard (my first planar). I returned the 1060's simply because they fell apart before my eyes, but will reorder when they have new stock. Not cause I'm a bass head, but I love a slamming kick drum and well produced bass that I FEEL like crazy in my upper shoulders. When the 1060's started going south on me, I ordered up some 400i's. I sent them back. Nice, but didn't compare to the 1060's that 'I had'. That said, there seems to be quite a variation in sounds from one to the next.  I haven't tried the 712's, but 3 outta 4 ain't bad huh? :) Hope this helps Beau ...  

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,583 of 8,051

- K712
- HE-400i
- M1060

Of course with many heralding the 400i as some of the best mid-fi cans, I decided to borrow some to compare to my Q701m. So far I'm finding them to have more similarities than differences, however, I'm surprised to discover that the AKGs have more low end impact (with the bass mod) than the 400i (given the planar bass reputation.) The 400i does seem to produce a more consistently cohesive presentation (balanced and accurate imaging, etc.) and a soundstage that doesn't get too cluttered or congested. I also like the fact that the Hifimans seem to be a bit less intense on the highs while still keeping most of the upper end details and very minimal veil. I tend to avoid any headphones that have a dark nature, having sold my pair of HD6XX for this very reason. This leads me to my main question:

I know impressions tend to be wildly subjective at times, but due to conflicting reports, should the M1060 be considered darker than 400i?

I'm really just looking for a balance between the slightly wider soundstage and excellent impact/excitement/detail of the Q701m and the more balanced/organized/less-congested imaging with tamed sibilance of the 400i. I'm quite certain that with my current gear synergy, that I wouldn't want anything darker/warmer than the 400i having a strong preference for a balance of full and detailed. At this point I'm not sure if the K712 or the M1060 would be a better pick. Unless the majority feel as though the M1060 would be even less in my desired direction than the 400i...

In the end I might just have to buy both the M1060 and K712 and return one or both, but I figured get some input first as I'd like to avoid any unnecessary hassles.

Modded I would say the M1060 lays approximately around the level of the darkness of an HD650, def more so than 400i, less so than earlier LCD2s. Prob not all that far off from current LCD2Fs in terms of a overall tonal balance, but smoother sounding/coherent to my ears. it is not a bright/forward can.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,584 of 8,051

Modded I would say the M1060 lays approximately around the level of the darkness of an HD650, def more so than 400i, less so than earlier LCD2s. Prob not all that far off from current LCD2Fs in terms of a overall tonal balance, but smoother sounding/coherent to my ears. it is not a bright/forward can.

This is what I was afraid of. I need the clarity that the Q701 (and to a very slight lesser extent, 400i) is known for. I really wanted to like the HD6XX when I got them for a more diverse gear arsenal, but even after a couple weeks I felt like I was always reaching for my Q701 to see what I was missing. This is why I went with the 400i over 400S. It's just a shame that I can't justify spending the money for HE-560 since they sound ideal to me. (Was kinda hoping the M1060 was more along the lines of those.)

I assume by modded you mean paper towel grill inserts vs. stock foam + Audeze vegan pads, right? The grill mod sounds like something I would benefit from given my desired characteristics, but a bummer that the spike-taming Audeze pads sound like they add additional warmth. Oh well...perhaps I'll just reserve judgement upon receiving more feedback.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,586 of 8,051
  HD650 is more mid centric in comparison.  Stock M1060 is messed up and need not apply.  

Stage width is very wide but kind of behind you sometimes.  This is an effect observed on all planars for me.  

Modded M1060 has better sub bass, less forward mids, and a smooth treble.  Paper towel mod adds some more clarity and bass but is optional to taste.

Modded M1060 are kind of like a movie theater where HD650 is more like an audiophile speaker system in a slightly damped room.  Not that different but the M1060 seem more epic for lack of a better term.  

My HD650 is modded, as I couldn't stand the mid bass bump of the stock HD650, it made bass sound to wooly.  The mod lowers the mid bass about 3dB.

Thanks, that's a very helpful comparison! I'm definitely interested in the modded M1060 then if it is a more "epic" version of the HD650. 

What mod did you do to your HD650's? If you tuned down the bass I imagine that would make it feel less warm and more similar to the HD600? Do you think the HD600 would differentiate itself from the modded M1060 enough that it would complement them better? If I were to get the M1060 I can see myself not being able to justify also having the HD650, but perhaps trading them for the HD600 could be a better compromise for wanting to keep the Sennheiser smooth, intimate mids and neutrality. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #2,588 of 8,051
Stock, I like HD600 better but modded HD650 has better treble.

Which mod are you running? The quarter mod? I'm definitely interested if the treble is better than HD600.

Apr 4, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #2,590 of 8,051
Sent PM to not disrupt this thread.  

Appreciated!

My pads just arrived, and HOLY CRAP the difference is enormous. Everything feels more precise, almost 'faster', clearer across the whole frequency band.

I feel like it traded away some sound stage, but in exchange everything feels more "in my face". I love this for all of my rock/alternative/punk music. Delicate stuff, like Norah Jones or Mariah Carey, it feels like she's singing right to me.

I haven't tried any live recordings yet, that might change everything. I'll report back about soundstage on live stuff later.

**note that I used a slightly smaller paper towel than @cskippy.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,595 of 8,051
Here's another test mod I did. Took a Hario V60 unbleached (brown) coffee filter (for pourovers) and cut it to the size of the foam cup insert and put it on the outside of the foam. Basically @cskippy mod except coffee filter vs towel.

I didnt post a comparison of the two, but I'll repost that tonight after work. This one has a bit higher response on the higher frequencies. I didn't get a chance to listen at higher volume with music on it since I did this pretty late at night and didn't want an angry response from the fiance. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back