Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Nov 21, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #226 of 8,051
You get what you pay for with monoprice. Don't know why anyone expects different.

You kidding me? Their Guitar Tube Amp is a rebranded $400 Laney amp going for $200. Their 7 channel amplifier is extremely good. The Solid Top Spruce Acoustic also rivals any $500+ solid top I've played. Remember the $8 Monoprice earphone craze years back?

It's easy to expect much from excellent products like that, but holy crap that FR is terrible on the 560. Maybe they will get it right with the 1060. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #227 of 8,051
Not liking that FR graph at all.  Mine show up tomorrow and I'm still going to run them through a proper break in before passing judgement, but they'll be going back if they don't hold up to the T50RP MK3s in an A/B comparison on my portable source gear.  There aren't a lot of good portable open cans out there that fold flat (not a Grado guy), so I had high hopes for these replacing my HD239s.  We shall see. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #228 of 8,051
I agree about HD-600. A very good headphone. I like HD-650 better because of a bit more bass. Both are excellent. Look for BF deals. I got both with DT-990 last year for around $525 after $200 gift card. I like the a DT-990, too.

Check your email for the ARTA Guide.

I did a few brief comparisons early on, but that was before the M560's were broken in at all: http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones/165#post_13019657

I don't think I ever got the ARTA How to from you. That would be great. I need all the help I can get. You can e-mail me at info-at-fongaudio-dot-com.

Here's another measurement comparing the open vs. closed configuration: (Purple is the closed measurement.)

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #230 of 8,051
  You kidding me? Their Guitar Tube Amp is a rebranded $400 Laney amp going for $200. Their 7 channel amplifier is extremely good. The Solid Top Spruce Acoustic also rivals any $500+ solid top I've played. Remember the $8 Monoprice earphone craze years back?

It's easy to expect much from excellent products like that, but holy crap that FR is terrible on the 560. Maybe they will get it right with the 1060. 

Well you said it right there regarding the Tube Amp. It's a rebrand, probably from the same factories, at a lower price. Same with the guitars - of which they are just one of many in the budget department. They take entry level gear, get them straight from the factories, and charge less, usually with reduced quality somewhere in the mix. Plenty of not so happy reviews regarding their products. Now they're moving into new territory with more rebranding - that 7 channel amplifier looks an awful lot like Outlaw amps IIRC. They have no in-house design team, their gear is only as good as whatever they're rebranding. So what are the planars a copy of? Now that they're getting into serious audio territory, you can't just grab whatever some factory is cranking out and slap your name on it even if it's a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #231 of 8,051
Anyone think these are all defective? Curious.

I suppose anything is possible.

Until someone else posts some measurements, there's really no way to know unless I get them replaced.

I think we should see some more measurements soon once people have more of a chance to receive their orders.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #232 of 8,051
That frequency response graph bears a striking resemblance to the response described in the O & E article a few pages back. Seems like a blackhole where the midrange should be.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #233 of 8,051
I like Monoprice and I've gotten a lot of good merch from them in the past, but I've also gotten a couple of turkeys. When you're rebranding you're at the mercy of what you get. Maybe the 1060 is from a different OEM or will have flatter specs. I hope so. 

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #234 of 8,051
I've had mine for a few days now. First impressions are very much in line with what has been reported already. Build quality is fantastic, they are very comfortable, if a bit heavy. They look great, better in person than in the pictures. The case they come with is really nice. Cable is a good quality cloth jacket cable. The sound quality is another story. Very treble heavy. Shouty, I would say. To get the bass I want, I have to really boost the volume to the point where a random trumpet, or blast of strings, snare hit, or cymbal crash will be bordering on painful. I really wanted to like these because I'm a huge Monoprice fan, but unless they change or my ears change within the return period, they are going back. I won't be getting the 1060's either because they are open. I have an open work environment, no cubicle walls even, so open won't fly in that environment.

P.S. I read some of the first impressions posted on this thread before I listened, and wondered if maybe I had just been subliminally influenced, so I gave them to a buddy to try for a half day or so, and without any prompting, he basically said the same thing.

Edited to add:

I wonder if the bass will come in a bit more as the pads conform to the head a bit more. The pads are quite thick, and if I press on the outside of the cups a bit, the balance is a bit more of what I like (i.e. the bass comes in a bit more). It's still a bit treble-heavy, but better. Which leads me to a second point. The clamping power of the headband is quite weak. I have a very small head, so your mileage may vary on that one. A bit more squeeze might make the seal a bit better, improving sound quality and overall balance.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #236 of 8,051
You shouldn't have to go great lengths to make them work for you given the cost. Sounds like they are really $80 headphones not $200.

It's true, and a point well taken! They are definitely not cheap headphones. Monoprice is venturing into higher end territory, and they could get burned if they're not careful. I'm a fan, but I have mostly bought their lower priced stuff up until now, and it has always been above average bang for your buck. Like I said, these are most likely going back, and my headphone quest will continue, but I will take full advantage of their 30 day return policy to try them out.

Nov 22, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #238 of 8,051
Looking at that frequency response graph this looks like another case of put the drivers in a housing and it's a pair of headphones school of design. 

That peak at 4.5khz is the opposite of what I want to see on a chart and experience with my ears. 

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #239 of 8,051
  You mean the T50RP? Which revision? I thought the T50RP MK3's sounded pretty good stock. 

We'll see how they sound compared to the M560's.

(Mine were supposed to have already been delivered, but this is the first time a Monoprice order was shipped to me with signature required. Of course, I had to leave the house for 15 minutes and that's when they decided to attempt delivery! Oh well, they removed the signature required and will try again tomorrow...)

Agree, my T50RPs sounded great stock, and I basically kept them that way.  Just added the Mr. Speakers strap and replaced the earpads with the Brainwavz lambskin leather angled pads.  Very pleased with these, especially for the low price compared to higher end planars.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #240 of 8,051
Got my M560s yesterday and immediately put them on the burn in rig. I only put them on long enough to ensure both speakers worked but initial impressions about the build quality and comfort are favorable.  They are definitely the size / form factor I was hoping for. I won't even comment on the sound because I haven't listened to them yet. I will say the driver seems to sit a lot further away from your ear than other planars I've experienced and, if I recall from T50RP pad discussions, moving the driver further away has a negative impact on treble with those headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back