Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #436 of 841
Two follow up questions about the Monolith. One, is EQ adjustment only for headphone out or will it work with the RCA outs to powered monitors? Two, if I wanted to have the XLR ins rewired to outs, does anyone know of a place that offers such a service?

The EQ applies to whatever the output is. I looked into re-wiring the XLRs. While the idea was relatively simple, getting access to the solder points looked challenging, and I didn't bother doing it. I'm currently using the XLR Ins for my RME ADI-2 DAC now, so glad I didn't mess with it too much. The headphone out to an external amp would be the easier route.

Mar 16, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #437 of 841
My two issues with the monolith are no preset saving and line noise which is audible on highly sensitive headphones. Most over-ears should be fine but it's not great for IEMs which I can hear the noise in quieter parts of music or movies. The ADI2 is black out clean on both outputs and has the additional functionality.

I still use the Monolith when I want to drive a more powerful hungry planar headphone but the RME does do alright on high gain. The most noticeable difference for me was when using a highly dynamic Focal headphone (which are sensitive and have low impedance) using balanced on the Monolith vs using the RME. The RME sounded more compressed on normal gain, but switching it to high gain solved that. I can see the super power hungry headphones performing better on the balanced output of the monolith.

I'll just mention this again: either amp/DAC combo is extremely solid for their class. To me, it comes down to feature set and possible sensitivity to line noise. An iFi IEmatch or any noise attenuator will help correct the noise problem for the monolith.
I think that I found a solution for issue #2 back in these post:

They sell 75 ohm impedance adapters like that on Amazon. They work with any 3.5mm device. This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QJL0C

Though I believe that a cable/adapter with a volume pot basically does the samething. Adjusting the volume pot change the resistance thereby changing the volume. This is the cheap one I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYP98LU

I'll test both and report my findings.

Okay, so I can confirm that the +75 ohm impedance cable works very well with my sensitive iems, and I cannot hear the distortion with the source volume turned down low, and amp volume all the way up.

With the cheap volume control cable, not so much. I think it did make some difference, but it didn't get rid of it all. It very quirky to work with and the added volume control is redundant and it being analog is probably a net negative considering the amp volume control in digital.

As a little side note, the 75 ohm impedance cable can be chained together to add as many 75 ohms of impedance as you like. I'm sure you will get deminishing returns on the benefit per each additional cable you add, so take that as you will.

Basically, if you want a THX MP 788 and are a heavy user of sensitive iems and headphones, then I would recommend the purchase of an impedance cable. Mind you that mean the cost you incure for the total system would be $500.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #438 of 841
Yes, if you took away all the features that make the RME ADI-2 unique and more expensive, then it would be a side-to-slight upgrade. But that's not what it is. You get a truckload of additional features and better display and interface. And you are paying for that additional benefit and features.

Again, I like both units. You have to decide if you need the additional features or not.

@phthora - I dont really know how to really explain it, but when I use with my Focal headphones, I can definitely pick out more detail using the RME as a DAC than when not. It just might be better implemented. I don't know.

Wow. That surprises me quite a bit. I know the 4493 is not leagues better than the 4490, and I certainly trust the engineering of RME over that of Monolith, but still... I had thought all those tone control options and that clean output came at the cost of amp power and DAC resolution. Guess I should put the RME back on my list of contenders.

Thanks for the info!

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #440 of 841
Finally got my balanced cables. With my M1060s, there's just a touch more depth and width, vs. the SE, upgrade cable from Monoprice.

My source being Spotify Premium.. I'm guessing that lossless files would be able to better highlight the difference, but that's what I've got.

Mar 25, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #441 of 841
Hey folks- was tinkering with the Monolith and found the AES-EBU input will take SPDIF just fine. In other words, get an XLR-3 to RCA and you've got a second coax digital input. Guessing vice-versa also works and you could throw AES-EBU signal at the coax input as well (untested).

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #443 of 841
Finally got my balanced cables. With my M1060s, there's just a touch more depth and width, vs. the SE, upgrade cable from Monoprice.

My source being Spotify Premium.. I'm guessing that lossless files would be able to better highlight the difference, but that's what I've got.

Finally got mine too. With my M1060c's I can dial back the volume and with my HE-560s I can dial back the volume. Works as intended.

This amp really has so much power(never needed higher than -15DB yet) and at least with the headphones I'm using seems transparent. Not disappointed at all with this purchase.

It's a shame audiosciencereview oddly dodged actually reviewing the unit and focused on shipping annoyances. Kind of makes me wonder what method of monetization they use since I see no ads.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #444 of 841
Finally got mine too. With my M1060c's I can dial back the volume and with my HE-560s I can dial back the volume. Works as intended.

This amp really has so much power(never needed higher than -15DB yet) and at least with the headphones I'm using seems transparent. Not disappointed at all with this purchase.

It's a shame audiosciencereview oddly dodged actually reviewing the unit and focused on shipping annoyances. Kind of makes me wonder what method of monetization they use since I see no ads.

I think a couple people offered to send him a new unit to review but I am still waiting to see the review. :)
The THX supplied data looks quite good.

I doubt ASR needs money. He's a retired executive from Microsoft, according to his profile, and since he's got a lot of fancy toys and expensive hobbyist measurement rig(s), I have to assume he's doing fine. :D I sent him an amp/dac to review and gave him money for return shipment, and he actually gave that money back to me hehe.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #445 of 841
I think a couple people offered to send him a new unit to review but I am still waiting to see the review. :)

I doubt ASR needs money. He's a retired executive from Microsoft, according to his profile, and since he's got a lot of fancy toys and expensive hobbyist measurement rig(s), I have to assume he's doing fine. :D I sent him an amp/dac to review and gave him money for return shipment, and he actually gave that money back to me hehe.

All I know is his review likely destroyed sales for that unit. Honestly I'd hate to see Monoprice exit the audiophile headphone market but its looking like thats gonna happen. I'm especially annoyed with that review after buying a unit ignoring the review and it is pretty much exactly as advertised. Everyone is avoiding it and waiting for the 789 because of this guy. What a shame.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #446 of 841
More info about going between AES3 and SPDIF here: https://www.rane.com/note149.html

Thanks for the read and yeah there are signaling, wiring and impedance considerations but to summarize (ymmv):

"The old rule that direct connection between AES/EBU and S/PDIF equipment is bad practice is relaxed today with new receiver chips tolerant to either interface."

The input side on the Monolith seems plenty tolerant. Worked with the few things I've tried couldn't hear a lick of difference. Let's me work in an old PS3 too- there's a transport lol

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #447 of 841
All I know is his review likely destroyed sales for that unit. Honestly I'd hate to see Monoprice exit the audiophile headphone market but its looking like thats gonna happen. I'm especially annoyed with that review after buying a unit ignoring the review and it is pretty much exactly as advertised. Everyone is avoiding it and waiting for the 789 because of this guy. What a shame.

Yes, I agree with your assessment as well. I saw it in forum posts in various places including here when that review came out

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #448 of 841

In post #104 (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...thx-headphone-amp-dac.5420/page-6#post-146141), dated Feb. 3, 2019, Amirm states that a forum member is sending him their production unit, for testing.

Zeos Pantera also has a THX 788, which he has mentioned (several weeks ago) is in need of a firmware update, on his Youtube channel; it's been sitting on his desk for a few weeks. Hopefully he'll get around to reviewing it soon.

I'm not well steeped into this platform yet, but from my perspective, it doesn't seem that Monoprice is pro-active about getting their higher end gear into the hands of well recognized influencers. If you search Youtube, the only video that comes up is a short Ad by Monoprice

I hope that the person in charge of the Monolith platform (of Monoprice ) will continue to enhance this line with firmware updates. e.g. multiple profiles (for different headphones), recognizing the last volume setting for Balanced & SE, individually, ...

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #449 of 841

Read into it what you will, but their new line of Monolith cables are now available.
https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=Monolith+Cables

The 2m usb B is on sale, $16.99
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30107&cs_id=3010710&p_id=33464&seq=1&format=2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back