Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #392 of 841
A spec sheet means nothing when it comes to implementation. If they delivered on what they marketed it would be one thing. If you do some research, the fumbled the execution.
I can only surmise that you got a bad unit. My unit is working so far, including the Dirac feature; which is really notable on artist like Billie Holiday

Still waiting on my balanced cable (for my Sennheiser HD6xx), to really give the 788 a run.

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #393 of 841
... with the amp in the MP (which actually delivers half the advertised power).

Well that's alarming, do you have a source that you can point me to ?

In my very non scientific measurements (my +50 yr. old ears), my 50 ohm, MP M1060 (using the same SE cable for both amps) plays at low gain, 11:00 o'clock. On my Audio-GD R2R-11
&
-19.0db on the THX AAA 788

(listed power output)
upload_2019-3-5_7-36-1.png

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #394 of 841
I get this error when trying to install the firmware:

Start update progress......
Updating image......
Error: Update image failed(kStatus_FlashAddressError).
Update process is stopped by error.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #395 of 841
I get this error when trying to install the firmware:

Start update progress......
Updating image......
Error: Update image failed(kStatus_FlashAddressError).
Update process is stopped by error.
When I attempted to do the flash earlier today, I received an error related to a missing dll file. Their customer support got back to me relatively quickly with the missing dll. And I was successful in flashing the new firmware, following the included directions.

They said that they would be updating the 24459_Software_160413.zip file to include the missing dll. It’s very possible that their host for web services has them on a schedule, for updates. Which would mean the updates might not be until tonight or tomorrow morning.

Also the XMOS driver for Win 7/8 will be reposted as well. The support person said that this should resolve my Win 10 “... driver is unavailable” problem.

If you’d like, PM me your email and I’ll send you the errant dll

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #396 of 841
When I attempted to do the flash earlier today, I received an error related to a missing dll file. Their customer support got back to me relatively quickly with the missing dll. And I was successful in flashing the new firmware, following the included directions.

They said that they would be updating the 24459_Software_160413.zip file to include the missing dll. It’s very possible that their host for web services has them on a schedule, for updates. Which would mean the updates might not be until tonight or tomorrow morning.

Also the XMOS driver for Win 7/8 will be reposted as well. The support person said that this should resolve my Win 10 “... driver is unavailable” problem.

If you’d like, PM me your email and I’ll send you the errant dll

I found the dll online but it could be not the right one. So if you have it and can send it over that'd be great! I'll PM you

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #397 of 841
Thanks to @lgcubana I was able to get mine upgraded to the latest firmware. I haven't played with it much since I got the RME ADI-2 DAC today and there's too much to learn on that one. Planning on using it as a DAC for this amp.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #398 of 841
Thanks to @lgcubana I was able to get mine upgraded to the latest firmware. I haven't played with it much since I got the RME ADI-2 DAC today and there's too much to learn on that one. Planning on using it as a DAC for this amp.
The monoprice thx has better dac chips akm4493 vs akm4490 in the RME ADI-2 DAC, so the monoprice may sound better.
What do you think?

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #399 of 841
The monoprice thx has better dac chips akm4493 vs akm4490 in the RME ADI-2 DAC, so the monoprice may sound better.
What do you think?

Possibly, but in my very early limited listening I *think* the RME ADI-2 DAC is cleaner and I am hearing somethings I did not pick on before. That could just be weird bias or could be the implementation. Besides just the chipset, the ADI-2 has a lot of features I wanted to take advantage of that the Monolith has but in a much more limited way. I have multiple headphones, so being able to create EQ profiles for each will be nice. I also like the pretty display. :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #400 of 841
Possibly, but in my very early limited listening I *think* the RME ADI-2 DAC is cleaner and I am hearing somethings I did not pick on before. That could just be weird bias or could be the implementation. Besides just the chipset, the ADI-2 has a lot of features I wanted to take advantage of that the Monolith has but in a much more limited way. I have multiple headphones, so being able to create EQ profiles for each will be nice. I also like the pretty display. :)

Regarding the EQ, have you tried the DMG equilibrium? It is the cleanest implementation I have heard after trying multiple parameteric EQ.
If you have any chances to compare them, give us your thoughts how the EQ function in the ADI-2 compared to the DMG equilibrium.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #402 of 841
Regarding the EQ, have you tried the DMG equilibrium? It is the cleanest implementation I have heard after trying multiple parameteric EQ.
If you have any chances to compare them, give us your thoughts how the EQ function in the ADI-2 compared to the DMG equilibrium.

I can give it a try. I actually try to avoid using software EQ except on my DAP which is standalone. The reason I wanted hardware-based EQ was because I don't always listen to music on my PC. I also have a CD player and streaming devices attached to the DAC and headphone amp.

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #403 of 841
Got this email just now:

Dear Monoprice Customer,

We are reaching out to inform you of a new firmware update that is available for your Monolith by Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology.

The update is to address a minor phasing issue with the RCA inputs on the back of the unit and is currently available for download on the Product Page (Firmware v1.03) along with the Firmware Update Guide.

If you require any assistance or have any questions please contact us and we will be happy to assist.

We thank you for being a valued Monoprice customer and hope you are enjoying your Monolith Amplifier!

Sincerely,

Monoprice Support

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #405 of 841
My Windows 10 Pro, Fall Edition, (using the USB connection) states: "MONOLITH DESKTOP HPA Driver is unavailable"

Just installed the posted XMOS.dll and the error is gone. What I didn't think to do was try the USB connection before installing the XMOS driver. With the driver, the playback is fuller and louder than my other setup (Win 7, with TOS Link). I'd be curious to know if anyone notices a difference with and without the driver.

Now if my balanced cable would show up, I can really start my testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back