Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC (and headphone amp)
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #466 of 576
Good point on the reviews done by these old guys. Defo not spring chickens… however as someone looking to simplify the MU2 seems like one hell of an all in one.
Well, to be fair, in my country, the MU2 goes for almost triple the price of the MMT. However, the MMT is really something special that I've owned.
To me, in terms of DAC preferences from ownership experience with my musical preferences (I listen to all genres but mostly leaning towards instrumental, classical, jazz, piano);

Mojo 1 -> RME ADI2 (AKM) -> Holo Audio May -> Mola Mola Tambaqui -> Soulution 560 ->= Aries Cerat Helene

As I move up the chain, the strings and piano realism and timbre are the main convincing factors to upgrade.
The Helene is more like a sidegrade to the 560 as it has similar resolution but a slightly fuller bottom end and it's cheaper to boot hahaha

BUT the MMT beats all the above in terms of size/performance factor should space be a huge consideration factor. That's how much space I had to work with before hahaha
In terms of size, the Helene is a 2 x 2 MMT :o2smile:

1700963236634.png
1700963222345.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #467 of 576
Well, to be fair, in my country, the MU2 goes for almost triple the price of the MMT. However, the MMT is really something special that I've owned.
To me, in terms of DAC preferences from ownership experience with my musical preferences (I listen to all genres but mostly leaning towards instrumental, classical, jazz, piano);

Mojo 1 -> RME ADI2 (AKM) -> Holo Audio May -> Mola Mola Tambaqui -> Soulution 560 ->= Aries Cerat Helene

As I move up the chain, the strings and piano realism and timbre are the main convincing factors to upgrade.
The Helene is more like a sidegrade to the 560 as it has similar resolution but a slightly fuller bottom end and it's cheaper to boot hahaha

BUT the MMT beats all the above in terms of size/performance factor should space be a huge consideration factor. That's how much space I had to work with before hahaha

1700963236634.png1700963222345.jpeg
Seems appealing to replace all those boxes and spaghetti with a single box and amp.

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #468 of 576
Seems appealing to replace all those boxes and spaghetti with a single box and amp.
For sure if that's the direction you're going for. Heck I have a friend who "downgraded" to a Naim Uniti for his work desk and couldn't be happier. Horses for courses as one could say.
I have been lucky enough to move my stuff into it's own space (for now; kid needs his own room soon hahah) And I do enjoy the varying combinations afforded to me with my multiple amps

1700965158951.png

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #469 of 576
In terms of size, the Helene is a 2 x 2 MMT :o2smile:

I agree it is near perfect in this regard. I just wish it included NAA support on the streamer / network Interface.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #470 of 576
For sure if that's the direction you're going for. Heck I have a friend who "downgraded" to a Naim Uniti for his work desk and couldn't be happier. Horses for courses as one could say.
I have been lucky enough to move my stuff into it's own space (for now; kid needs his own room soon hahah) And I do enjoy the varying combinations afforded to me with my multiple amps

I agree it is near perfect in this regard. I just wish it included NAA support on the streamer / network Interface.
I was using HQP heavily with my previous DAC and, yes, I would like to see it. However, the fact that the MMT does its own upsampling to PWM rather makes HQP superfluous. Jussi confirms that, and my own tests of HQP with the MMT (via USB) show little to no effective improvement

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #471 of 576
Looks like the MMT has fallen: “Hans Beekhuyzen seems to have the first in depth MU2 review 👍. He calls it ‘Shockingly good’. Currently for Patreon members only:

https://www.patreon.com/theHBchanne...UmzkqD6b8KSu8Ba9IBnsw6sWzZvp7fUgHfq4CYWPV9U2c

I don't typically go to Hans for an absolute truth review, he's good, I acknowledge his opinions, but he subjectively preffered Chord Dave over the MMT or May, whereas, I found the MMT to sound better than the Dave or May (and significantly better than May if its in NOS).

One subjective review by Hans isn't going to compare to the across the board accolade of excellence the MMT has recieved in the aspects of both subjective and objective.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #475 of 576
Insanity-fi super hard to impress guy Jays Audio Lab reviews the MMT...

Spoiler: High Praises

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #476 of 576
Insanity-fi super hard to impress guy Jays Audio Lab reviews the MMT...

Spoiler: High Praises

haha saw this! Jay pretty much listen to a lot of "unobtanium" products for regular folks. Great to see his honest opinion from the perspective of someone looking at the Tambaqui and thinking it is too inexpensive!

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #477 of 576
haha saw this! Jay pretty much listen to a lot of "unobtanium" products for regular folks. Great to see his honest opinion from the perspective of someone looking at the Tambaqui and thinking it is too inexpensive!

He literally listed too low a price as a con. What!!

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #478 of 576
He literally listed too low a price as a con. What!!
That's why you cannot trust any word he is saying.
For them price = performance....
It's sad state of our industry.

ps. yes Tambaqui (owned it liked it very very much) is one marvelous dac. But this guy... forget abut him or any other 'reviewer', you will be happier.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #479 of 576
To be fair, I don't think he was saying he subscribed to that view. I think he was essentially saying that people who only think of price = performance would never give the Tambaqui a chance, and that according to him would be very sad because the Tambaqui is over delivering, but would never even be considered by such folks, at its current price point.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #480 of 576
To be fair, I don't think he was saying he subscribed to that view. I think he was essentially saying that people who only think of price = performance would never give the Tambaqui a chance, and that according to him would be very sad because the Tambaqui is over delivering, but would never even be considered by such folks, at its current price point.
having owned one previously, i was already contemplating on it for a second time. the guy just nailed the deal. MMT incoming again.

I’d be interested, however, to add a dedicated wifi capable streamer which would also serve as a DDC and with built in SSD. any suggestions for a good synergy ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back