Modwright 999ES FIRST IMPRESSIONS!
Aug 17, 2005 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-Fi'ers --

All I have to say is: "Wow;" Dark Side Of The Moon has never sounded this good (SACD).
I am so impressed that I have no first impressions... They are more like last impressions...

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me them -- I will answer here promptly.
I have no questions of mine own, so some to get me started are appreciated!
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 25
hold on a sec... checking fedex.com... delivered
biggrin.gif

I'm now officially another owner of the Modwright modified 999ES
tongue.gif
Which mods did you get? I got the Signature Truth Mod + Multi-Channel op-amp upgrade + LC Audio XO3 clock upgrade. Did you already burn in the player? Should make a huge deference with 200 hours. Man can't wait till I get home
tongue.gif
Whats your setup?

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
hold on a sec... checking fedex.com... delivered
biggrin.gif

I'm now officially another owner of the Modwright modified 999ES
tongue.gif
Which mods did you get? I got the Signature Truth Mod + Multi-Channel op-amp upgrade + LC Audio XO3 clock upgrade. Did you already burn in the player? Should make a huge deference with 200 hours. Man can't wait till I get home
tongue.gif
Whats your setup?

dariusf --

I hope that you are aware that a signature is required by FedEx upon delivery.
I purchased the "Platinum Signature Truth," multichannel and clock upgrades.
Yes, I did burn in the player -- it has been running for 110 hours straight.
I am already hearing a difference (mainly in smoothness and lack-of-grain).
You can burn in the player without having the tube output stage powered up.

I am using an Emmeline HR-2, HD-650 with Zu Cable Mobius and an ER-4S.
I am using Magwire Original interconnects and Quail power cords on the player.

It is truly a reference piece of audio equipment...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
bangpod,

can i have it???
K THNX.

Your friend MJG

mjg --

How about over my dead body?
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
dariusf --

I hope that you are aware that a signature is required by FedEx upon delivery.
I purchased the "Platinum Signature Truth," multichannel and clock upgrades.
Yes, I did burn in the player -- it has been running for 110 hours straight.
I am already hearing a difference (mainly in smoothness and lack-of-grain).
You can burn in the player without having the tube output stage powered up.

I am using an Emmeline HR-2, HD-650 with Zu Cable Mobius and an ER-4S.
I am using Magwire Original interconnects and Quail power cords on the player.

It is truly a reference piece of audio equipment...
BANGPOD

Yes, I had it shipped to my parents house because of the signature. Thanks for the info, I did read it on the http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=14 site regarding the burn in and the tube output stage.

I will be running it with Emmeline Raptor / Headmaster and Grado HP2 / RS1 but I do have the 650s as well but only with the stock cable. As for the cables I only have Outlaw and some Signal Cable power cables. Can't wait to set it up hopefully tonight if time allows. I read lots of good things about it but its really a shot in a dark for me as I never heard the player either stock or modded. Its going to be upgrading my Philips 963sa so hopefully it will be much better
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully it will be a good match for the Raptor and it also uses the same 5687 output tubes which is cool as I already have a few deferent sets I can roll.

So you are a fan of Pink Floyd I guess?
biggrin.gif
I use the DSOTM SACD and Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab remaster as a reference most of the time when testing new gear.

What other players do you own/compare to?

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf
So you are a fan of Pink Floyd I guess?
biggrin.gif
I use the DSOTM SACD and Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab remaster as a reference most of the time when testing new gear.

What other players do you own/compare to?

dariusf --

Yes, I am a fan of Pink Floyd -- my avatar is the cover of "Meddle." :wink:
I used to own a NEC 6Xe/Muse 2 Plus front end, but this trounces it.

I bought the Modwright 999ES because, in my humble opinion:

1) It's SACD bested the GO8's redbook on just about every album tested.
2) It's redbook (more detailed) was as good as the GO8's (smoother), YMMV.
3) It was about $2000 dollars less than the GO8 from a reputable modifier.
4) It has an overbuilt power supply (critical) with a high quality silver umbilical.

And last but not least, it does all of the above with a 5687 tube output!
biggrin.gif

Some people prefer the GO8, but I prefer the more detailed sound of the 999ES.
Luckily, for me, Modwright purchased brand new units and was having a sale...

Or else, I might have bought a different player! Keep the discussions rolling!
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
dariusf --

Yes, I am a fan of Pink Floyd -- my avatar is the cover of "Meddle." :wink:
I used to own a NEC 6Xe/Muse 2 Plus front end, but this trounces it.

I bought the Modwright 999ES because, in my humble opinion:

1) It's SACD bested the GO8's redbook on just about every album tested.
2) It's redbook (more detailed) was as good as the GO8's (smoother), YMMV.
3) It was about $2000 dollars less than the GO8 from a reputable modifier.
4) It has an overbuilt power supply (critical) with a high quality silver umbilical.

And last but not least, it does all of the above with a 5687 tube output!
biggrin.gif

Some people prefer the GO8, but I prefer the more detailed sound of the 999ES.
Luckily, for me, Modwright purchased brand new units and was having a sale...

Or else, I might have bought a different player! Keep the discussions rolling!
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Thanks for reminding me, I was going to track down the MFSL version of Meddle
smily_headphones1.gif

NEC 6Xe, I actually have one sitting in storage I was going to try as a transport when I still had the MSB Link DAC but I never got to it.

I very much enjoyed the Billy's G08 at the last Chicago meet and was very much considering getting it but I really wanted the SACD option and the price was a bit too much for me at this time.

Thats the sale I got in on
biggrin.gif
A nice side plus for me is that these are the nicer looking silver players
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
dariusf,

ummm..Can I come over and check it out sometime? lol - I am actually serious, we need to get together again and have ourselves a nice little minimeet
rs1smile.gif

I would love to get together for a minimeet. I'm sure Billy would be in as well. The only 'problem' is the time
frown.gif
I'm very overloaded now at work, my side business, projects and on top of that all we are in a middle of building a house. Perhaps in 2-3 weeks when the unit is nicely burned in and all. I think Billy still has the G08 and his new VPI table
biggrin.gif
come to think of it, I think you have a G08 as well?

Aug 18, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 25
Let me tell you something about these ModWright components...it takes a heck of a long time to blossom. I got almost all of the best modifications done to my Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVi more than 1.5 years ago and it took at least 500 hours before the sound blossomed and it stayed that way. For the first 250 hours, the thing was schizophrenic. For the next 350 - 400 hours, it kind of was discovering itself. During the last 500 hours, I pretty much knew whether the investment was worth it. Definite affirmative there! The principle stays true: pick out a great source component with all of the sound characteristics and features you want or need, then mod it and sit tight with it for years. Modding unlocks a new world of sound and video quality that can not be had unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars more for very prestige name brand components. How many times have people like Alan Levi or Ayt999 compared modified units to their own prestige brands only to conclude that the sound quality of both units under comparison or review come down to sonic preferences and that they'd be happy with either one for a long time?

Now, what if you took that same very high prestige name brand component and modded it?
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, I am going to find out one of these days! I will not upgrade my ModWright LLC Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi until I can get a super universal high definition source component that handles everything that mine can do now plus:

HDMI 1.2 & DVI-D
SONY Blu-Ray & HD-DVD
XLR, AES jacks
Cutting edge & state of the art audio/video DACs (better than what I got now)

That's a few years from now guys. My investment was the single largest one when I take a look at how I have allocated my assets just for my AV system, but it is going to last me several more years. No more upgrading til then. Talk about excellent return on investment. Plus, the thing is rock solid and reliable as all heck.

Congratulations!

Here is one question: will you guys who own ModWright equipment review them? I will soon!

Aug 18, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 25
IF YOU WANT TO HEAR SA-CD AT ITS BEST, IMHO, THEN GET THESE DISCS:

Hilary Hahn, Bach: Concertos Hybrid SA-CD
Hilary Hahn, Elgar: Violin Concertos & Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending Hybrid SA-CD
Renee Fleming, Handel Hybrid SA-CD
Rachel Podger, Vivaldi: 12 Violin Concertos Hybrid SA-CD
Roxy Music, Avalon Hybrid SA-CD

Even if you don't love or are obsessed with classical music, then just try them. BUT! Wait at least 500 hours until your new ModWright equipment has already burned in completely. I swear to you that you will believe SA-CD sounds just like the best vinyl but with the convenience of pure digital if you buy and listen to these specific aforementioned SA-CDs.

Too bad you guys can't try out DVD-AUDIO. I know people think it's dead, but it is my true reference point for ultra high fidelity sound carrier. If you believe that SA-CD sounds amazing, which it does especially on ModWright modified source components, then you will not believe how glorious it sounds on DVD-AUDIO. No lie.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 25
Oh, its been over 400 hours of fire, I guess its nice and crispy now
biggrin.gif

I got to put my thoughts down but every time I sit down and put the headphones on I have a very hard time concentrating, this thing is awesome, unbelievable synergy with the Raptor and Grados, the down side is that its extremely hard to put it down. I did not think a CD player upgrade can take my setup that much higher, love it
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #15 of 25
Keep the impressions coming guys. I have a player in ModWright's hands as we speak, and should have it here in a couple of weeks. Very much looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back