Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Sep 1, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #76 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalcastr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did this mod, and boy am I impressed! They sound much much better now. I drilled 3 1/8th holes in each, and so far I'm liking it.

EDIT: watch out for the rubber stoppers, they will fall out. Just remember to put them in before you close up, they fit one way.

Awesome, more people join the club of Hero's!
biggrin.gif
If you can, post some pics, we can always use more good pics of the modding process
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #78 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jei-be /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dumb question, how do i romove the ear pads?

You just tug on them, they clip to the inside ring of the plastic so it takes a little force to pull them off, but don't worry, you won't break them.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #80 of 508
Phones came to life thanks to hero. Another satisfied customer. I only drilled one hole in each, cuz the phones are relativley new, only had em for about 3 days. So they still gotta "burn in", something i just learned upon discovering this forum lol. Soon as i put the phones i started googling which lead me here, registered and now im Head-Fi fo life...

My 1st pair of phones so im brand new to all this, they sounded good before, great now. Wonder if I can get em to sound any better with an amp/soundcard. Ill be lurking, props to hero...

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #81 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by genpatton7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PXC 450 earpads just arrived today, they fit perfectly! The material is similar to the that of the D2000 pads, filled with foam and the feel of real leather (edit: that's because they are real leather, filled with neoprene
tongue_smile.gif
). They have the same (if not better) isolation as the stock pads and feel supremely comfortable. If you don't mind dropping the $53 + shipping, it'll improve the comfort of the PC 350 considerably.

Update: PXC 450 pads definitely isolate more, because of this the bass is brought out even more, drowning out every other frequency and pushing the treble to the far back. I'm going to try to use some dampening material to cut down on the bass and bring the treble out more.

Finally finished my dampening tests, went through 3-4 different amounts of cotton balls in the cups until I got the sound just right. The dampening fixed the overwhelming bass problems and balanced the sound. Overall, the sound post-mod with the PXC 450 pads is leaps and bounds better than stock, it has improved bass and upfront acoustics. The PXC 450 pads themselves are super comfortable and do a great job of blocking outside noise. I have recommended this mod to everyone that will listen and I keep getting positive responses. To anyone with overemphasized bass and comfort issues post-mod, the PXC 450 pads and dampening will do the trick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #82 of 508
Wow. I have my pc350's hooked up to a Behringer Amp800 i bought because I thought there was no way these headphones should sound like they did. the amp made them louder but did nothing for the bass. This mod has made me complete. I went from having a little buyers remorse to being completely satisfied.

I have one further question though. I'm wondering if the amp I bought (amp800) has enough mW? The spec sheet says it "+21 dBm / 124 mW(100 ohm load) meaning 124mW at 100ohm, im guessing... It has an LED bar on it that glows red when its clipping which is nice. Anyways... I have no problem returning it if I have more to gain from another amp. Since this is my first decent headset I dont have a comparison. What is the recommended RMS watts/mW. All i know is car audio. So I may sound dumb. But I dont see a recommended wattage on the Sennheiser website. This amp cost me $60. I'm willing to pay up to $120 or so if it'll give me noticable gains and proper wattage.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #83 of 508
So I know a lot of ppl here got the 595 earpads for the PC350. Im just wondering is the 595 velour earpads really let you hear the outside noise better?

Because I dont like how the PC350 pleather earpads they block out too much noise from the outside. So Im planning to get those 595 earpads if they really help with the breathing and let me hear the outside better. Thx.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #84 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by jincuteguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I know a lot of ppl here got the 595 earpads for the PC350. Im just wondering is the 595 velour earpads really let you hear the outside noise better?

Because I dont like how the PC350 pleather earpads they block out too much noise from the outside. So Im planning to get those 595 earpads if they really help with the breathing and let me hear the outside better. Thx.

Yeah, you can clearly hear things around you. The 350 pads are a cheap material, so they sweat quite a bit, the 555/595 pads fix that problem as well. Just keep in mind that it will lessen the bass impact.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #86 of 508
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!

I just got my headphones today and I was severley dissapointed that this is what $140 bought me.. But now that after drilling 2 holes and ripping the wire out of the circuit board that connects one of the speakers and soldering it back, this headset sounds GREAT! Probably gonna drill one more smaller hole in each one though. Oh boy was I mad at myself when I ripped that wire though.. haha the one time i wasn't being careful I broke something.. oh well they work perfectly now. I feel like Sennheiser should actually start doing this on the headset.. sounds amazing! thanks for this guide.

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #87 of 508
keep in mind that the seal on any closed headphone is crucial to the sound quality and bass response. if there is an opening in the seal, the bass will be compromised, just like IEM's. i'm glad you have all found a mod that you like, we encourage folks to tweak and tinker if they feel it is a better experience for them. we do feel that the PC 350 (and PXC 350, HD 380) have exceptional sound quality out of the box as long as you are taking into consideration the seal. interesting mod, keep up the good work.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #88 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by do9105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!

+1, I had mine since about 1 year and thought they didn't sound so great, in fact I had to press the cans against my head to feel the bass.
3 holes later the issue is solved
o2smile.gif
+ I find they are more "airy" now.
Now I have a pair of cans that starts to compete with my IEMs.
Thank you !!!

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #89 of 508
+1

It's really awesome to see Hero's Mod earning such a good reception with the PC 350 owners. I've been enjoying this experience, first the modding part, then the experimentation with the mod nuances, and last but not least by a long shot; the fruit this mod brings to the hobby of gaming/music/headphones. As of late I've been playing Borderlands for two playthroughs, watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos and listening to some fresh (to me) stuff, mainly Blind Guardian and The Cardigans. So much enjoyment, I've got so much love for the Hero's Modded Sennheiser PC 350
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Sennheiser, thanks Head-Fi, thanks Ourfpshero!

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #90 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
keep in mind that the seal on any closed headphone is crucial to the sound quality and bass response. if there is an opening in the seal, the bass will be compromised, just like IEM's. i'm glad you have all found a mod that you like, we encourage folks to tweak and tinker if they feel it is a better experience for them. we do feel that the PC 350 (and PXC 350, HD 380) have exceptional sound quality out of the box as long as you are taking into consideration the seal. interesting mod, keep up the good work.

It does seem to be the case of people wanting to feel an improvement in a certain manner. I think the diffuse field aspect of the PC 350 is quite a rarity among gaming phones and it's 'fault', like the HD280, is that it doesn't sound 'impressive' in a Gradoey manner. I find it quite difficult to criticise it technically for the (street price) money for a headset.

Having said that, maybe the tonal signature of the PC 350 isn't actually that suitable for gaming, and the style of music that many gamers might listen to... the diffuse field stuff may be best left to the 'real' hi-fi guys, and perhaps the follow-on PC should be given a more upfront response (e.g. Logitech G35)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back