Mini-Review: JMoney replacement Leather Ear Pads for Denon D2000 D5000 D7000
Mar 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #46 of 91
I just put on the jmoney pads--it took less than 1 minute. I immediately prefer the sound. Tightens up the bass-exactly what I was looking for. The comfort, though, will take some getting used to. The smaller ear holes are not ideal for my big ears........

Apr 17, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #48 of 91
Ordered from Headroom, received and installed. I am very happy with the results - the comfort is top notch - they just feel luxurious. Absolute improvement in the bass - I was starting to feel that the low end was a bit too muddy with the stock pads and I was thinking maybe the Denons weren't my cup of tea after all. Truly a difference maker the J$s are for me - I'm back in love with these cans.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #49 of 91
my 2 week old J$ pads tore at the stitches last nite. wonder if i can get them replaced
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #50 of 91
Yes, I expect that you can get them replaced, but you will have to pay shipping to and from J$. Email him or send a PM. Jeremy was kind enough to replace my pads in this fashion when I encountered the same problem. The replacement pair is top-notch and I remain very happy with them.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #51 of 91
Thanks for the reply. I will try to get them exchanged at the place that I bought them in Singapore. If that's not possible, then I would probably need to send them back to Jeremy.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #52 of 91
from reading this thread,it seems that not everybody like the effect that those pads are giving. I was a little surprised since it is the first time i read "Bad" comment about them.
I didn't got the j pads for my D5000 yet,but i am considering it. I don't have a problem with the soundstage, as strange or naive it may sound to all of you,the soundstage term is not exist in my vocabulary
bigsmile_face.gif
...only bass,treble,mids,punch...only terms like this i care about in my sound.

the only reason i am considering those is because i read somewhere that they can reduce the sibilance a little and maybe tame the bass just a little bit,and this i wouldn't mind at all.

Apr 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #53 of 91
I received the J$ pads for my D7000 today.
The reason I bought them was to try to get rid of the way too bloated bass for my taste. (That’s as mildly as I can put it.)
Putting them on was a breeze.
I find comfort better than with the stock pads since those felt a bit too loose/flat for me which resulted in the headphone not always staying in place.
But now the bass: damn what an improvement. The bass is still there but now it's nice, deep and clean. I tried the phones for a few hours now where with the stock pads I couldn't listen to them for more than two or three songs.
The D7000 will surely see more use now and I think a nice silver cable may just be the icing on the cake.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #54 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleheadMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received the J$ pads for my D7000 today.
The reason I bought them was to try to get rid of the way too bloated bass for my taste. (That’s as mildly as I can put it.)
Putting them on was a breeze.
I find comfort better than with the stock pads since those felt a bit too loose/flat for me which resulted in the headphone not always staying in place.
But now the bass: damn what an improvement. The bass is still there but now it's nice, deep and clean. I tried the phones for a few hours now where with the stock pads I couldn't listen to them for more than two or three songs.
The D7000 will surely see more use now and I think a nice silver cable may just be the icing on the cake.

Great. I agree a cable would be nice, maybe a Jenna Labs, APS V3 or Moon Silver Dragon. I love my LA7000 with J$ pads.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #55 of 91
Can anyone describe or quantify the improvements that a Jenna or APS cable makes on a D2000/7000? I know this may be a tired or controversial topic, but I've read every thread I can find and I'm hoping for some more feedback before spending $200-400 on something that may only offer a marginal improvement. For example, where would you rank the mods in terms of most significant sound improvement? I.e., markl mod, woodie cups, and Jenna/APS cable?

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #56 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone describe or quantify the improvements that a Jenna or APS cable makes on a D2000/7000? I know this may be a tired or controversial topic, but I've read every thread I can find and I'm hoping for some more feedback before spending $200-400 on something that may only offer a marginal improvement. For example, where would you rank the mods in terms of most significant sound improvement? I.e., markl mod, woodie cups, and Jenna/APS cable?

Some of those answers are in my LA7000 review and my markl modded MD5000 DE review (see "about me" for links), where I compare them to my D2000 which underwent sequential upgrades. After you read those I can address more specific questions if you'd like. And there are other peeps here with a bit of experience with these as well.

If you don't have time, in a nutshell... I have found that the JL or APS cables improve bass control, detail and treble extension; and the mahogany and bubinga wood cups improve the midrange presence, while the J$ pads improve bass definition and soundstage (with a small step back in the gains in midrange presence). However, I found that the starting point in sound is different with D2000 vs D5000 and D7000. I found the D2000 start with more recessed mids than D5000, but slightly less boomy bass. The D7000 mids are similar to the D2000, but they have better treble plus bass control than stock D2000. The APS cable brought my D2000 to sound very similar to the stock D7000, and both still needed the wood cups upgrade to fix the recessed mids.

When comparing my re-cabled mahogany-woodied D2000 to my LA7000 (JL cable, bubinga wood cups), I found the LA7000 to have superior midrange and treble detail and presence. This lead me to buy the review sample LA7000 and sell my D2000.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #57 of 91
Awesome, thanks for the answer, HPA. I did read most of that in your review, but it's nice to have a succinct summary. I generally love the sound of my D2000 with J$ pads, but the mids can sound somewhat tinny and distant/muffled. And the overall level of detail could be a bit higher. I don't have serious issues with the bass quantity or quality. So it seems that the most worthwhile upgrades for me would be the cable and wood cups? I'm currently using my D4 to drive them, but eventually I'll get a Protector.

I'd still like to hear from anyone else who got one or more of these mods sequentially, rather than all at once. I may just end up getting all the mods, but it would be nice to pinpoint the exact changes that each mod makes by itself.

Apr 28, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #58 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, thanks for the answer, HPA. I did read most of that in your review, but it's nice to have a succinct summary. I generally love the sound of my D2000 with J$ pads, but the mids can sound somewhat tinny and distant/muffled. And the overall level of detail could be a bit higher. I don't have serious issues with the bass quantity or quality. So it seems that the most worthwhile upgrades for me would be the cable and wood cups? I'm currently using my D4 to drive them, but eventually I'll get a Protector.

I'd still like to hear from anyone else who got one or more of these mods sequentially, rather than all at once. I may just end up getting all the mods, but it would be nice to pinpoint the exact changes that each mod makes by itself.

I'll go out on a limb, and based on my last post and your complaints with the D2000, I would recommend upgraded wood cups before cable.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #59 of 91
I agree with HeadphoneAddict. I haev a pair of D2000 with the J$ pads, wood cups and APS cable.
Even that there are some people here that do not believe different kind of wood will give you differnt kind of sound I still beleive it does. Wood have different densities therefore differnt capacity to relfect the sound. Harder and denser wood will increase high frequencies. Softer wood will absorb more those and sound a ittl ebit darker. That is why Lawton uses different damping material (or non)inside the cups depending on the kind of wood.

Here is the thread about my WD2000
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/den...dition-345659/

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 29, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #60 of 91
I wish he would offer a choice between the v1 pads and the v2. I prefer the v1 pads. Softer leather and tad thinner. Overall I like the v1 pads just a little bit more. Even though there both great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back